Coyote speed?

SCT

Coyote speed?

Post by SCT » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:27 pm

A friend took my 8 month old male pointer to work him off horseback for some training. After handling a bit off horseback he (my pup) went over a hill and by the time he (friend) got there the pup was gone, and soon off the garmin. An hour and a half later, as it was getting dark, he shows up. After loading up and leaving the area, he ran into two guys that were hunting coyotes and they said they watched him (my pup), deep in the back country being chased by two coyotes. He's a big running pup and knowing him he probably went right up to those coyotes to see if they wanted to play. I saw him "fly" across the horizon one time chasing antelope and he looked very fast. But, I wonder how fast coyotes can run when they're really trying to catch something? It's nice to know he can outrun them :D

Steve

Gertie

Re: Coyote speed?

Post by Gertie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:18 pm

I read somewhere that coyotes have a maximum speed of around 40 mph but that is for short sprints (<.25 miles), max sustained speed is somewhere in the 15-20 mph range for moderated distances (<2 miles), and long distance speeds (>2 miles) 10-15 mph. Glad to hear that your dog was ok!

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Have met coyote hunters in ND several of the past few years. They run mixed breed hounds on coyote, typically driving around, trying to start a coyote out of likely cover and then they'll throw three boxes on the flatbed truck open and the chase is on. They say the coyote will outrun the dogs more than 1/2 the time....dogs kill maybe 3-4 out of 10. Of course its a sight chase so using cover, the Yote can easily disappear. Over open ground, they felt the lead dog had to overtake the Yote within 1 1/2 miles, at which point the dogs would lose steam. They never mentioned outright mph, but if they felt they needed greyhound crosses, then coyotes must have some speed, at least for a moderate distance.

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:02 pm

went off your garmin!! thats like 9 miles ! wow

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Allin13 wrote:went off your garmin!! thats like 9 miles ! wow
No one I know of gets 9 mile coverage on their Garmin Astro. I've done tests with mine and can't even get a solid 2 miles. Maybe on a perfectly straight, smooth terrain, but not here in UT.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm thankful he evaded the coyotes.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:30 pm

JKP wrote:Have met coyote hunters in ND several of the past few years. They run mixed breed hounds on coyote, typically driving around, trying to start a coyote out of likely cover and then they'll throw three boxes on the flatbed truck open and the chase is on. They say the coyote will outrun the dogs more than 1/2 the time....dogs kill maybe 3-4 out of 10. Of course its a sight chase so using cover, the Yote can easily disappear. Over open ground, they felt the lead dog had to overtake the Yote within 1 1/2 miles, at which point the dogs would lose steam. They never mentioned outright mph, but if they felt they needed greyhound crosses, then coyotes must have some speed, at least for a moderate distance.
This used to be a common practice around here till the AR folks got ahold of it. Greyhounds are essential to catching the coyotes because the coyotes typically have a head start of as much as 400 yards so the dogs have to be considerably faster than the coyote to close the distance before the coyote will gain cover - which is the first place they head. Most of the time if they caught the coyote in a mile of open ground they didn't stand a chance of escaping. Since it is quite open in many areas their success ratios were quite a bit higher.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:15 pm

We hunt coyotes in the winter and one day it was icy and the dog got traction on the ice we
Clocked her going 40 (she was running for her life) maybe even faster in dirt but i dont think its average
Isaac and Banks

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:31 pm

According to this, a 'yote is a little faster than a greyhound.

http://www.speedofanimals.com/animals/coyote

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Aslowhiteguy wrote:According to this, a 'yote is a little faster than a greyhound.

I guess they didn't consult with the guys running the coyote hounds. :)

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:56 pm

slistoe wrote:
Aslowhiteguy wrote:According to this, a 'yote is a little faster than a greyhound.

The 'yotes extra speed comes from having the dew claws intact. :lol: :roll:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Aslowhiteguy wrote:
slistoe wrote:

The 'yotes extra speed comes from having the dew claws intact. :lol: :roll:
:lol: They probably have rear dews as well.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Coyote speed?

Post by ACooper » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:12 pm

slistoe wrote:
That was my thought. Whomever made that chart would adjust it if they saw a stag hound run a coyote down... It isn't with stamina.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Also, wolves eat coyotes for a living. Now I believe a pointer would be in dire straights being chased by wolves. That's one I don't want to find out first hand.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:07 pm

I have seen grayhounds after coyotes, sure didn't look like the coyote was the faster of the two :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Never saw a yote that was real fast but they are agile and will do a lot of quick turns that make them a little hard to catch but most dogs can run with them and many have no problem out running them. Slistoe was right on when he said the problem is the head start. I have had my Britts run with them when we jumped them without any problem.

That chart looks a lot like most internet dog food charts.

Ezzy

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:27 am

Not sure how fast they are but I know what they are not faster than................ .220 swift

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Coyotes have a hunting strategy that can be fatal to dogs. They set out a decoy - one animal will just stand out in the open until the dog comes to investigate. The decoy then runs away, leading the dog right into reinforcements, and the dog is killed. A young pup was lost during a field trial here in Minnesota a few years ago to this strategy. Be careful out there.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:21 pm

not a coyote, but I watched a wolf run down a young deer this saturday while I was ice fishing. When we first noticed it the wolf was about 300 - 400 yards from the deer and just leisurely approaching it. The deer saw it coming the whole way and let the wolf get about 40 yards from it and then the wolf turned it up to high gear and had no problem running it down. It closed the 40 yard gap in about a total of 80 - 100 yards. It was really an amazing thing to witness.

Deets

Post by Deets » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:57 pm

They are definitely slower than a Gray Hound. I have seen that first hand.