SHADOW OAK BO IS 2013 NATIONAL CHAMPION

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 pm

Congratulations to Robin, Butch, and the breeder Buddy Smith.

The first setter since 1970.

This is a big deal.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: SHADOW OAK BO IS 2013 NATIONAL CHAMPION

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:15 pm

It is Friday...i will certainly tip my glass this evening for the shags

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Shadow_Oak_Bo.jpg
Agreed, Thx Neil.
Bo is also co-owned by Dr. John Dorminy - Congrats to all!

http://www.williewalker.net/dogarchive3 ... p?id=74487
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Woot! That just made my day! Congratulations Bo! :D :D :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Gertie wrote:Woot! That just made my day! Congratulations Bo! :D :D :D
X2 That is just great! Congrats to all setter breeders who just keep on keeping on.............

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:38 pm

i love it!

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:40 pm

I am glad to see the Setters make a comeback in this prestigious event.

No pressure intended but I hope to hear good things from Mike Beach and Joe Gower when next years event comes around :).

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 pm

S95956AC0.jpg

Sorry, should have added Dr. John, congratulations to all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Great news!

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:14 pm

This is well deserved win and crowning achievement for such a great dog.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Great new's!!!!!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:55 pm

I was there when Bo was conceived, saw him at a week old, and watched his early development.

Buddy Smith, the breeder, worked long and hard for this. And it helped that he has good friends in high places. Robin and the owners did there part very well.

I knew his grandsire, Toby, a great dog in his own right. He came to expect his treats when I visited.

I really was not sure it would happen, but I'm proud to have been a witness to history.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Buddy Smith, the breeder, worked long and hard for this. And it helped that he has good friends in high places.
Always good to hear it takes people in high places to win. I just will not believe that, as it takes away from dogs winning on their merits. So much for the best dog winning that we always hear about.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:21 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Always good to hear it takes people in high places to win. I just will not believe that, as it takes away from dogs winning on their merits. So much for the best dog winning that we always hear about.
I believe you are taking that comment out of context. When breeders have buyers (in high places) that are field trialers and can get dogs into their hands, that is the BEST relationship for all involved - period!

How is it you can spin a positive congratulatory post into a face slapper..."So much for the best dog winning that we always hear about." - Really? This dog has not only done it one year but I believe he finished the 3 hours last year as well. "2012 - Shadow Oak Bo tallied three finds and a back and finished the three hours." Come on Man!

Congrats to ALL... Sire, Dam, Breeder, Owners, Handlers, Scouts, Truck drivers, and Bottle washers - you ALL deserve it! PERIOD!

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Do you think Bo's race seperated him from the pack or the fact that he didn't have an up? There were lots of birds that day as his brace moved more birds than any other.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Have NO clue I was not there, but I think finding him pointed at the end (3 freakin hours) had a lot to do with it too. JMO from what I heard there were others with as good, if not stronger time on the ground. Maybe he was just more consistent with his power, application and when and where he found the birds. Again, JMO but how many of those backs may have been divided finds? No one knows if they weren't right there to see them stop. - No UPs sure does help too. Congrats!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Come on Ezzy. You had to know I was referencing Robin, Butch, and Dr. John as being the friends in high places.

Oh. And scout Hunter Gates deserves mention, one of the few 3rd generation trainers.

Neil

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:33 pm

I have always been told one UP is a non-issue.

As said, I think it was his overall performance. Take a look at the photos on the Ames web site, the tell the story to me.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:39 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Buddy Smith, the breeder, worked long and hard for this. And it helped that he has good friends in high places.
Always good to hear it takes people in high places to win. I just will not believe that, as it takes away from dogs winning on their merits. So much for the best dog winning that we always hear about.
Poorly done, Ezzy :(

Have you considered that 'friends in high places' means having the connections to place a promising prospect in the hands that can bring out the best in the dog? That means owners who are willing to finance campaigns, trainers and handlers who will work with the dog, and all the peripheral persons who contribute to his success.

A very successful handler once told me 'You want to play with us? That means work, and I mean w-o-r-k' At the level
Shadow Oaks Bo's team is working, they deserve congratulations, not snide comments.

Oscar

Post by Oscar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Neil wrote:I was there when Bo was conceived, saw him at a week old, and watched his early development.

Buddy Smith, the breeder, worked long and hard for this. And it helped that he has good friends in high places. Robin and the owners did there part very well.

I knew his grandsire, Toby, a great dog in his own right. He came to expect his treats when I visited.

I really was not sure it would happen, but I'm proud to have been a witness to history.
Nell big honor to have known BOB from the start , and Buddy Smith the breeder , Robin and Owner :D .

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:15 pm

PntrRookie wrote:Have NO clue I was not there, but I think finding him pointed at the end (3 freakin hours) had a lot to do with it too. JMO from what I heard there were others with as good, if not stronger time on the ground. Maybe he was just more consistent with his power, application and when and where he found the birds. Again, JMO but how many of those backs may have been divided finds? No one knows if they weren't right there to see them stop. - No UPs sure does help too. Congrats!
I would think that ending the brace on a point had to leave a good impression. Ending on point is pretty darn good last thought to leave the judges with when they are going over all the braces.

Brian Tiffany

Post by Brian Tiffany » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:26 pm

PntrRookie wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Always good to hear it takes people in high places to win. I just will not believe that, as it takes away from dogs winning on their merits. So much for the best dog winning that we always hear about.
I believe you are taking that comment out of context. When breeders have buyers (in high places) that are field trialers and can get dogs into their hands, that is the BEST relationship for all involved - period!

How is it you can spin a positive congratulatory post into a face slapper..."So much for the best dog winning that we always hear about." - Really? This dog has not only done it one year but I believe he finished the 3 hours last year as well. "2012 - Shadow Oak Bo tallied three finds and a back and finished the three hours." Come on Man!

Congrats to ALL... Sire, Dam, Breeder, Owners, Handlers, Scouts, Truck drivers, and Bottle washers - you ALL deserve it! PERIOD!
Well said and lets not forget back to back years at the Continental, and everywhere else Bo has won over the last few years!

Thank You and Congrats to everyone involved in this effort.

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:40 pm

Not to mention he made a 500 plus yard cast right before finding him on that last point.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Of course Ezzy didn't let us down!!

Kudos to Bo, breeder, owners, handler, scout and everybody else who had a role in this most impressive accomplishment. I'm very happy for all of them.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Wait a minute...... You mean to tell me that a long haired Setter took AIMES???? It wasn't a Pointer?? :) CONGRATS to all for a job very well done...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:45 pm

PntrRookie wrote:

Neil messaged me and said I took it wrong and i am sorry about that. It just hit me wrong when the breeder, owner, and handler were mentioned as they should be but then there were people in high places responsible and I, like the rest of you I hope, don't think it takes people in hlgh places for a dog to win.

Ezzy

Highway Ends Kennel

Post by Highway Ends Kennel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:47 pm

That's cool that a Setter was able to win that. Good to know there is still more than one breed that can compete at that level.

Anybody want to wager a guess on what his stud fee will be??

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Highway Ends Kennel wrote:That's cool that a Setter was able to win that. Good to know there is still more than one breed that can compete at that level.

I was just thinking the same. From Dr. Rick Carlisle, superintendent at Ames Plantation, "As literal and figurative underdogs, setters have become fan favorites at the national championship — and many sponsors offer cash bonuses for anyone who can lead a setter to a win at the event. A winning setter would also be a hot commodity within the field-trialing community as a stud dog."

I'm thinking pretty high:) And well deserved.... Unbelievable there were 36 pointers and only 3 setters. What an amazing accomplishment to beat those odds....

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Highway Ends Kennel wrote:That's cool that a Setter was able to win that. Good to know there is still more than one breed that can compete at that level.

My question would be is his daddy still around. Bo is a product, not a producer.

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:04 pm

I am a pointer guy and think it's good for the game that a setter won. I would like to see a few GSPs get in there too. There have been some Irish Setters doing pretty well in the last year as well if you follow the Field. There were a few Irish Setters winning in All Age open stakes. Would be great to see a few Brittanys as well, but just don't think their build would allow them to compete at the same time. I may have opened a can of worms with that last sentence. SCK

Highway Ends Kennel

Post by Highway Ends Kennel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:

My question would be is his daddy still around. Bo is a product, not a producer.

YET!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:05 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
PntrRookie wrote:

Neil messaged me and said I took it wrong and i am sorry about that. It just hit me wrong when the breeder, owner, and handler were mentioned as they should be but then there were people in high places responsible and I, like the rest of you I hope, don't think it takes people in hlgh places for a dog to win.

Ezzy
Even if you thought it, it was pretty low class to say it on this thread congratulating the first setter win in decades.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:

By the sounds of the article, the DAM "Sundrop Jill" is where he gets it from. He was explained by the folks at Ames as a "freak of nature" able to outrun every Pointer there. Stated that at the end of the three hours thinking he should be spent they came up on him rock solid on his 7th find like he had just started. Dog just simply has no quit in him.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:09 pm

sckwest1 wrote:I am a pointer guy and think it's good for the game that a setter won. I would like to see a few GSPs get in there too. There have been some Irish Setters doing pretty well in the last year as well if you follow the Field. There were a few Irish Setters winning in All Age open stakes. Would be great to see a few Brittanys as well, but just don't think their build would allow them to compete at the same time. I may have opened a can of worms with that last sentence. SCK
I love my Britt, but I agree, there is no way that a Britt could keep up... Just don't think they would have the legs for it. That would take a pretty long strided dog to complete that 3 hours. I do think that there are other larger breeds that could though at least stamina wise.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:21 pm

This is fantastic. I root for the shaggy dogs because they are always outnumbered. CONGRATS to everyone that competed.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:37 pm

:D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:41 pm

slistoe wrote:
PntrRookie wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I believe you are taking that comment out of context. When breeders have buyers (in high places) that are field trialers and can get dogs into their hands, that is the BEST relationship for all involved - period!

Ezzy
Even if you thought it, it was pretty low class to say it on this thread congratulating the first setter win in decades.
Exactly my point why would you say that about the first setter to win in 40 years? As I said I don't believe it is true that good dogs have to have politics involved to win. And Neil says that isn't what he meant so end of problem.

RAWACRES

Post by RAWACRES » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Congrats ezzy the next thing you will say is that Bo was on the juice and should be tested! congrats to the trainer for and out standing dog run!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:18 pm

You guys have got to be kidding me, he said he misunderstood the comment, freakin let it go.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:10 pm

X2 Thank you.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Was not my shag fav and never will be,but got to give credit where it's due, Dandy effort and a big paycheck for all involved along with some pretty good instafame that will become legendary in 15 years.Lets just hope breeding is selective and his production is 10 fold of the last HOF NC Setter.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Andy let it go. All I said is the exact same thing they all are saying but I said it when Neil said something else that took away from the dog. Neil messaged me and said that wasn't what he meant and it was settled but we always have those that want to find fault with anything some else says. I explained it twice even though it shouldn't have needed explaining if anyone read what I posted. But it makes some feel better................

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Just for my education:

ROUGH idea on stud fee, puppy price, and what was the purse?

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Does this mean the shorthair guys are going to start crossing setters into their lines instead of pointers :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm only kiddin'. :D :D It was a great win & congrats to all involved :!:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Sharon wrote:Just for my education:

ROUGH idea on stud fee, puppy price, and what was the purse?
I suspect the stud fee will be by private treaty as they call it, meaning it may be a bit less for a really good female, but for most it will be at least $1,000. Pups the same, more from good females.

The purse is augmented with $16,500 special Setter Jackpot, and there are saddles, tack, TriTonics, Garmin, etc. Sorry I don't remember the normal purse, perhaps $16,000.

Whatever, even though it is a big payday, the owners have spent a lot over the years, it is not a way to make money.

They will have t be careful with live breeding, some dogs can't handle a lot until retirement, others it doesn't bother at all. Bo seems squared away, so I doubt it a problem. They might consider AI with live and chilled semen, for sure they will be collecting frozen.
Last edited by Neil on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Very cool! It was time for some big news in the birddog world! Now his owner and handler can retire on his stud fee! Haha.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 pm

I think it will be more like 1500 for a breeding and 1000 dollar pups from a specific kennel.Lets just hope he produces better than the last national champion,Johnny Crockett SUCKED in production of winners numbers,he got the hall of fame because ALMOST everyone that had ever seen him was dead and the stories were spun into legend with the "Told two freinds,and they told two freinds".Production record of 34 winners sired if I remember right.I had papers on a dog I got rid of sired by CH Tommy B that had his numbers,I gave them the papers and the dog.

Robertsons kennels have pups on the way from Shadow oak Bo advertised for 1000 bucks from a sunrise daughter.Whole lot of potential dogpower for 1000 bucks.Which is a way better chance than what most that will bring one to breed for the pup money IMO.

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:59 pm

deseeker wrote:Does this mean the shorthair guys are going to start crossing setters into their lines instead of pointers :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm only kiddin'. :D :D It was a great win & congrats to all involved :!:
Coming from a guy with an avatar breed that is alredy been outcrossed to setters/pointers. nice.

dan v

Post by dan v » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:33 am

Wildweeds wrote:I think it will be more like 1500 for a breeding and 1000 dollar pups from a specific kennel.Lets just hope he produces better than the last national champion,Johnny Crockett SUCKED in production of winners numbers,he got the hall of fame because ALMOST everyone that had ever seen him was dead and the stories were spun into legend with the "Told two freinds,and they told two freinds".Production record of 34 winners sired if I remember right.I had papers on a dog I got rid of sired by CH Tommy B that had his numbers,I gave them the papers and the dog.

Robertsons kennels have pups on the way from Shadow oak Bo advertised for 1000 bucks from a sunrise daughter.Whole lot of potential dogpower for 1000 bucks.Which is a way better chance than what most that will bring one to breed for the pup money IMO.

NC/3xCh. Johnny Crockett win record 12-47-154, whelped 7/20/1964, died at 8 years old, two years after winning the NC.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 am

congratulations
cc