Homemade dog food

ScottE

Homemade dog food

Post by ScottE » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:13 pm

What are some thoughts on homemade dog food versus store bought? Any ideas for recipes?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Homemade dog food

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Put your helmet on ;)

Personally I feed dry food with raw meat (mostly deer) and bones added as supplement.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:07 pm

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:12 pm

www.dogaware.com

Has lots of recipes. If you have a big pressure cooker and spare freezer space it can be done.

Angus

Post by Angus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Store bought kibble is so much easier to feed and transport than raw. It's also much easier than making your own kibble. I'll gladly pay someone else to make kibble for me. :)

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:52 am

Cajun Casey wrote:http://www.mercola.com
Yep. And:

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:28 pm

What people feed their dogs and their reasons will be as varied (and sometimes "heated") as the breeds we choose.

For many reasons, I feed my dogs a grain-free kibble as the mainstay. I supplement daily with:
-fish oil and joint supplements
-yogurt (regular plain)
-some meat (boneless/skinless chicken thighs, chicken livers, hearts, elk or buffalo burger, eggs, etc.)

A few times a week, I'll replace some of the kibble with cooked whole potatoes and chicken fat. At those times, I add a little more of the meat to the food to keep the ratio of protein and fat high enough. I sometimes add peas, blueberries, bananas, carrots, etc.

Many years ago, I tried the raw meat/food thing. But, it was so messy and took up tons of space in the frig. I suppose if we had one small dog instead of five med/large ones it would have been easier. In addition, there were no trustworthy guidelines at that time and my vet was suspicious. No matter how much we like to give our opinions based on what we read, experience, etc., the dog food companies do study dog nutrition. It is in their best interest to do right by us - the consumers. So, I pick dry kibble foods that appear to be good quality and I keep checking consumer reports, etc.

Same thing with "people" food. The experts are always telling us one thing, then changing their minds based on newer studies or actual events. And, there is the simple fact that people make mistakes.

Fran