Bedding

Scott Linden

Bedding

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:20 pm

I love grass hay for outside doghouses and crates in the back of the truck, and I'll bet you have your own favorites. But how about the inside crate? Towels, blankets, etc. all seem to eventually fall victim to bored-dog disease (aka chewing/tearing). Found anything better?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Bedding

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:26 pm

The plastic bottom of the crate seems to work just fine for us.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:45 pm

I use Mud River kennel pads and have yet to have a dog try to eat one.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Bedding

Post by ACooper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I use Mud River kennel pads and have yet to have a dog try to eat one.
I might give one of those a try, I've got two kong pads now, one is fine the other not so much.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:23 pm

I use newspaper in the downstairs crates they sleep in and a big pillow type pad in the upstairs crate where they often go into and sleep during the day.

Ezzy

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:44 pm

I have tried everything but only found one thing that works! I took the bed she has been laying on in our living room for the last year and put it in her kennel. My only guess is that because she has had it so long, that she does not chew on it. I bought a chew resistant KONG bed and put it in her kennel. It was only chew resistant for about 30 minutes!! :evil: Dogs wont go to the bathroom in their kennel, maybe the same philosophy applies to a bed they normally lay on everyday for a period of time. So I am going to buy another bed from Costco and replace the one I put in her kennel. It is a little too big, but she has managed to smash it down a little. So, I like the one from Costco that was given to us as a gift. Go figure, its the only one I didn't spend money on.

John

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:03 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I use newspaper in the downstairs crates they sleep in and a big pillow type pad in the upstairs crate where they often go into and sleep during the day.

Ezzy
Hey Ezzy, do you shred up that newspaper so the dog can't read it? (Seriously, do you?)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:57 pm

No I just lay several papers in there. One of the dogs always shreads it and the others just lay on it. I think it is more comfortable than the rough floor of the crates and also a little warmer when they are sitting on a cold floor. My hunting crates are bedded the same way and if they are wet or muddy comeing home it does a good job of absorbing the dampness and you don't have to wash them like you do a blanket and less messy in the vehicle that straw or hay.

Ezzy

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:32 am

pads made of ballistic nylon or cordura nylon hold up really well

http://www.k9ballistics.com/Tuff-Bed-Cr ... _p_37.html

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:44 am

tried everything over the years, same as Ezzy now.
newspaper in their kennels during the winter, bare plastic barrel in summer.
newspaper is easier clean-up than straw & it breaks down with the hose to go down the sewer.
goes in complete & they shred to suit, good insulator absorbs the moisture, easy to change, stays inside barrels better than other bedding.

............tasi

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:08 am

I have a Karunda bed that fit inside the wire kennel perfect. There's no edges for the dog to get ahold of unless they eat the PVC pipe.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:32 am

buy a stall mat ( they are for horse trailers ) tractor supply has them

cut it to size and it will last forever

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:37 am

bobman wrote:buy a stall mat ( they are for horse trailers ) tractor supply has them

cut it to size and it will last forever
+1

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:27 pm

MonsterDad wrote:pads made of ballistic nylon or cordura nylon hold up really well

http://www.k9ballistics.com/Tuff-Bed-Cr ... _p_37.html
Yup, that's exactly what I thought!!! A bored dog can sure put a hurtin on a chew resistant bed.

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:33 pm

I have been using carpet samples for years. When they get messed up I toss them and buy a few more.
Our Hy-Vee stores usually have them 2 for $4. I have bought them at that price at carpet stores also.

Mike

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Scott Linden wrote:I love grass hay for outside doghouses and crates in the back of the truck, and I'll bet you have your own favorites. But how about the inside crate? Towels, blankets, etc. all seem to eventually fall victim to bored-dog disease (aka chewing/tearing). Found anything better?
Put a chew toy or bone in the crate with them. If they have something to naw on to pass the time the blankets don't get the abuse. :lol:

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:48 pm

I use this Mud River crate cushion: http://www.gundogsupply.com/mud-river-k ... shion.html

Every now and then my wife sneaks a towel or blanket in the crate. They get drug out and chewed on. The crate cushion stays intact and in the crate.

bmcox86

Post by bmcox86 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:26 pm

I use the mud river one also, works great and no chewing

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:31 pm

MHWH wrote:I have been using carpet samples for years. When they get messed up I toss them and buy a few more.
Our Hy-Vee stores usually have them 2 for $4. I have bought them at that price at carpet stores also.

Mike
Had a buddy use carpet and the dog chewed it and ate it. The plastic weaving in the carpet sliced up the dogs intestines. That was 20 years ago and I never forgot it.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 pm

I've used all sorts of things for inside the dog crates - towels, blankets, sheets, old pillow shams. But, the best so far is the Mud River kennel pads. They aren't chew-PROOF so be careful with puppies that haven't learned yet, but they aren't easily chewable. They can be hosed off to clean them and they dry quickly. They keep the dog off the bottom of the kennel, and the dog isn't sitting or laying on wet kennel floor.