Trip planning dilemma.....

JWP58

Trip planning dilemma.....

Post by JWP58 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:50 pm

I have 3 weeks in a row off in November. I originally planned on speding all three bouncing around SE ID and SW OR. The wife had other plans and said I had to be home for Thanksgiving (crazy talk I know).

Now Im considering only spending one wk in the Owyhee area and then the other two much closer to home. That would mean Montana, probably South Central Montana. I've checked and there is enough BLM and public land to make it worth going, but what about birds????

It looks like theres supposed to be Huns, Sharptails, and the occasional Chukar in that area. Anyone have feedback on how this past season was in S/C MT? Any info would be greatly appreciated (no honey holes needed mind you, just general stuff). If you want to send a PM that works too.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

mask

Re: Trip planning dilemma.....

Post by mask » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:12 pm

We hunt E MT, ND, and Canada most years. In MT we never saw a hun untill we got to NC or NE MT. I would recomend BM areas over blm. I am a retired cattleman and can tell you the blm ground in MT is the worst cared for I have ever seen. Also be prepared for lots and lots of cactus. The hatches every place we hunted last year were terrible except for sharptail and sage chickens. I'm hoping for better hatching conditions this year. If you would like info on where we hunt and when let me know. Bill

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Im used to hunting sage brush and cactus....that isnt maintained at all, by anyone....except oil field pumpers lol.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:03 pm

I sent you a pm
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:03 am

tfbirddog2 wrote:I sent you a pm
I didnt get it.

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:42 pm

or you could wander up a little further than Montana and get into some real hunting for birds, both upland and waterfowl, and some great biggame (Alberta/Saskatchewan)

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:49 pm

How difficult is it to get across the border with firearms, especially a semi auto?

Oh and I dont have a passport, and dont plan on getting one...

mask

Post by mask » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:39 pm

Getting dogs and guns into Canada is not a problem. The dogs need a health certificate from your vet and proof of a rabbies shot. The closer you do this before crossing the border the better. Stop on the U.S. side and have your guns checked so there is no question that you brought them in with you. You can download all the forms from the internet and they must be in triplicate. As we have passports I don't know what you do to get across and back into the U.S. without one.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:29 am

mask wrote: As we have passports I don't know what you do to get across and back into the U.S. without one.

Ya its only a problem if you're a citizen....now if I was an illegal coming to get some of uncle sam's welfare I'd be sent through the express lane at the border. So i guess canada is a no go.

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:48 pm

just a general question on the passports. Is it a big pain in the butt to get one in the U.S.? canada all it takes is 10 business days.

I would recommend you do make your way up here. Once you hunt up here you wont ever not want to hunt here again1

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:37 pm

AlbertaChessie wrote:just a general question on the passports. Is it a big pain in the butt to get one in the U.S.? canada all it takes is 10 business days.

I would recommend you do make your way up here. Once you hunt up here you wont ever not want to hunt here again1
Last I heard it was about 3months, but that was when they decided we needed to have one to go to Mexico and Canada (which is beyond ridiculous).

Furthermore I just dont want one, they can keep their govt. issued rfid chips.

Duckn8r

Post by Duckn8r » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:26 pm

AlbertaChessie wrote:or you could wander up a little further than Montana and get into some real hunting for birds, both upland and waterfowl, and some great biggame (Alberta/Saskatchewan)
Don't kid yourself! When it's time to do serious upland bird hunting we head from Southern Alberta into Montana! Saskatchewan is better but non-residents cannot hunt pheasants there. A bad winter a couple years ago really hurt our populations in Alberta and Sask as well and we are just rebounding. On a plus side this winter hasn't been too bad and I expect to see more upland birds this year.

Now if ducks and geese are your target then yes by all means come up here!

Brett

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 am

Duckn8r wrote:
AlbertaChessie wrote:or you could wander up a little further than Montana and get into some real hunting for birds, both upland and waterfowl, and some great biggame (Alberta/Saskatchewan)
Don't kid yourself! When it's time to do serious upland bird hunting we head from Southern Alberta into Montana! Saskatchewan is better but non-residents cannot hunt pheasants there. A bad winter a couple years ago really hurt our populations in Alberta and Sask as well and we are just rebounding. On a plus side this winter hasn't been too bad and I expect to see more upland birds this year.

Now if ducks and geese are your target then yes by all means come up here!

Brett

true! Id love the opportunity to pheasant hunt south of the border. But yes....I was referring more to the waterfowling side :)

Speaking of which....after this past storm that slammed the province waterfowling is looking good for this coming season.

LabGuy

Post by LabGuy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 pm

JWP58 wrote:How difficult is it to get across the border with firearms, especially a semi auto?

Oh and I dont have a passport, and dont plan on getting one...
I thought that your required to have a passport or a passport card going into Canada? I am pretty sure they stopped allowing you to cross with just regular ID's (drivers license) a few years ago, but I would check. We went to Canada for a 10 day snow goose hunting trip (800+ birds in 9 days for 4 guys) and we had no issues going into Canada and coming back. However, if we would have crossed a week later, the Feds were there and were doing complete tear downs of hunters vehicles. So either way, make sure you have your stuff together when crossing.

Enjoy the trip!

*** Just saw the reply above about Canada being a "no go". Oh well, my 2 cents anyway.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:29 pm

I have a friend in the Bismarck, ND area who I hunted with last year. They had good hunting of sharpies and pheasant last season.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:46 am

Whats the public land situation in Nebraska? Has is all been grazed and bailed to nothing?

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:57 am

Not many birds in NE Nebraska. You might try SW Nebraska---they had the best pheasant numbers in the state last year(state numbers were down last year). Look around Red Willow Resivoir, Swanson Resivior, there are 2 other lakes in that area that held a few birds. Last year they had quite a few walk in areas(CRP) on private land in that area, but most were hayed because of the drought(don't know if they were hayed this year--have to talk to someone from that area). The CRP walk in area books usually come out around Sept. Good luck
PS I'm headed to ND for 2 phez trips this year to make up for the lack of birds around here this year :D .

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Nice. I only live about 4hrs from red willow, close enough.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:31 am

The drought is the wildcard in the central plains. While there might be local areas with good bird populations, I think it's safe to say overall it will be way down from past years. Friends from NW KS said it's a desert where we hunted a couple years ago with large numbers of pheasant.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:09 pm

Well here in the high plains, we've had plenty of rain. Had decent snow fall in the spring too.

I'm also concerned about the fires out west...