SoCal Hunting

llewellinsetter

SoCal Hunting

Post by llewellinsetter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:12 pm

So I moved from Michigan to Hollywood of all places, So i need a new place to go hunting, does anyone have any land that can walk(my dog is in MI) or anyone need a training partner to shoot birds, i just need some sort of open space! I'm not doing so good in the city.

thanks cam

JKP

Re: SoCal Hunting

Post by JKP » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:36 pm

Well.....I definitely think you'll find some birds of a different feather :lol: :lol:

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Ha ha ha that is VERY true.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:59 pm

Good luck. I just left there and returned to Texas partly because the hunting bites out there. You can try to get permission from landowners north of you in Coalingua for quail or you can go up to Red Mountain and try for Chukar. There is an inexpensive "preserve" type place a little East of you in Chino that I've had fun at if you get desperate and just need to put your dogs on birds. I hope you like "tree huggers". If you have access to some good dogs, you could try guiding at the Tejon Ranch which is a couple hours north of you but atleast you get paid to put your dogs on birds.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Strangest looking E. Setter I've ever seen! :wink:

Cali quail hunting can be pretty good in the Caliente Ridge area and above the Kern River. Otherwise I don't know much about those left coast birds.

Good luck,

Nate

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:23 pm

I lived in southern California/Los Angeles for 3 years. Best huntable quail numbers I've ever seen! Try the Los Angeles National forest north of Santa Clarita on the I-5 and near Lancaster off Hwy 14. PM me for further details...

Nitrex

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:38 pm

I've heard the same as what Nitrex said. Cal is a huge state, obviously, with lots of huntable country.

Other members on here - ultracarry and Brad27 live in SoCal and have done well. I'd guess you'll have to drive a ways from Hollywood...

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:52 pm

I seem to find a few birds In brads spots. :-)
I'm about an hour and a half away. Next season i can take you to a spot or two (brads of course). He only popped two of my tires.