Accident

Cicada

Accident

Post by Cicada » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Not sure to call this an accident or what but just in case this can help some one else from the same situation.

Today when I was in town Diane was getting Bow my new Male GSP off the couch and is hind leg got jammed in the folding foot rest. He started screaming and she screamed and he panicked and bit her hand as she tried to free him. To make things worse Arrow my old female GSP figured this was a fight and she joined in but instead of biting Bow he bit Diane on the shoulder. None of the bites were too bad but the Doc gave her a tetanus shot just to be sure.

Man what a day!

Grant

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Accident

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:57 pm

I tell my husband everyday , "Put up the foot rests when you get up!" :roll:

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:07 pm

Sharon wrote:I tell my husband everyday , "Put up the foot rests when you get up!" :roll:
I disengaged mine when I got home now it stays locked down

Grant

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:10 am

Hope she isnt dog shy now. When I play attack my son both dogs attack me :) I like it that way too :)

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:14 am

markj wrote:Hope she isnt dog shy now. When I play attack my son both dogs attack me :) I like it that way too :)
She seems fine with it, but her bruised shoulder sure looks sore, way worse than the hand. She was most concerned with what would happen to the dogs if we had to go to the hospital.

Grant

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:41 am

I have been pondering this post for a little while and probably should not post my opinion. I don't have a major problem with the dog that was hurt biting. If I were you though I would have a serious problem with the other dog coming in and biting your wife.

Red

Post by Red » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:46 am

I have been pondering this post for a little while and probably should not post my opinion.
I started to reply and changed my mind,
I don't have a major problem with the dog that was hurt biting. If I were you though I would have a serious problem with the other dog coming in and biting your wife.
x10

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:02 pm

ACooper wrote:I have been pondering this post for a little while and probably should not post my opinion. I don't have a major problem with the dog that was hurt biting. If I were you though I would have a serious problem with the other dog coming in and biting your wife.
Pretty typical for a snarky old female in my experience. Been there, got bit, usually with my herding dogs who are always looking for a chance to throw a sucker punch. Immediately afterward, they are washing each other's wounds and acting like nothing happened. The whole incident was adrenaline fueled and unfortunate. Hopefully, it was a single time occurance.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:38 pm

Its the pack mentality. Not uncommon for other dogs in the "pack" to attack either the injured dog or the thing that they think caused that dogs pain. Who they go after is usually what they see as the weaker member or the member that they want to protect more.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm

No doubt its the pack mentality, that does not excuse the behavior. It also shows the wife's place in the pecking order.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:33 pm

The old dog may have been trying to protect the woman from the distressed and defense aggressive younger dog and bit her when she tried to block the attack. Without being there, no one knows and the situation was not normal. Personally, my concern would be the dog that lashed out when in pain. I've handled shot, run over, torn up, physically incapacitated and snake bit dogs and only ever had one, my old boy whose back had locked up, lash out unless they were dying. I would suggest handling the dog a lot to get him less reactive.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:48 pm

ACooper wrote:I have been pondering this post for a little while and probably should not post my opinion. I don't have a major problem with the dog that was hurt biting. If I were you though I would have a serious problem with the other dog coming in and biting your wife.
I wondered if anybody was going to express this thought....Like you, I refrained at first but I am with ya!

Charlie

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Probably would not have been an issue if the wife hadn't freaked out and screamed, too. Her panic induced more panic in the dogs. I've had dogs shriek in pain over accidents, and the others may come running to see if they need to jump in. Yelling and displaying weak energy makes it worse, but staying calm and quiet backs them right off. It's like if I act like everything's OK, they believe it.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:40 pm

shags wrote:Probably would not have been an issue if the wife hadn't freaked out and screamed, too. Her panic induced more panic in the dogs. I've had dogs shriek in pain over accidents, and the others may come running to see if they need to jump in. Yelling and displaying weak energy makes it worse, but staying calm and quiet backs them right off. It's like if I act like everything's OK, they believe it.
Agree. Dogs and human were overwhelmed with emotion (and adrenaline). Sad situation....but a worthy lesson in so many ways. Love my LaZboy, but it has the same style footrest - it's a dog accident waiting to happen.

This was just a freak thing. Glad there weren't permanent consequences for dogs or human.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Those are all good points and I will give them all a lot of thought.

Arrow the old female has always been the defender of the farm and has never bit either of us she has nipped a few strangers over her nine years.

I wonder if all the screaming reminded her of the time the coyotes attacked/killed Kalum my 14 year old GSP almost a year ago she was there and did her best to defend him.
Diane is doing great but the shoulder sure is bruised. I should post a pic but then my butt would look like her shoulder. :wink:

Grant