How often should I de-worm my dogs?

grant
GDF Junkie

How often should I de-worm my dogs?

Post by grant » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:38 pm

How often does everyone deworm their dogs, and what do you use?

Grant

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:01 am

It depends on the age of the pup/dog. I worm my pups every 2 weeks until they leave at 6-8 weeks. My young/adults, I worm depending on the conditions. If they're being worked/hunted quite a bit, I worm them once a month. If it's the off season, they get every other month. I use Parantyl...1cc/10#. The most important thing to remember when worming an infested dog is to do the follow-up treatments. The 1st dose kills the living worms, the second one kills the ones that have developed since the last time. It takes 2-3 times to completely rid them in the system.

fleetmanager

Post by fleetmanager » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:53 pm

Doesn't Heart Guard kill all types of worms? My dog had round worms a couple moths ago and the heart guard killed thm by the next stool sample. :o

Have you heard of this? I give it to him monthly to prevent heart worms.

Bruce

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:43 pm

Heart Guard does control hookworms as well as roundworms, but it doesn't control tapeworms or whipworms. Inteceptor and Sentinal cover the same as Heart Guard, but also the whipworms. For tapeworms, I use Trade Winds.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:09 am

You should keep your dog on a heart worm preventative monthly all year. I use Ivomec. Give it orally. It gets all worms except for Tapes.

Quarterly I use a tapewormer called PraziQ, unles sthey get ion to something that I see. IT does work as a one time use. Its a bit costly but worth it!

Phil
REO

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:47 am

I use Ivomec also...

fleetmanager

Post by fleetmanager » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:21 am

Where do you guys get your meds? Don't you have to have a prescription from the Vet? Do your dogs get worms that often? I've only had one other hunting dog when I lived in Idaho and I can't remember ever deworming him.

I guess they could pick them up in the field or by drinking canal and ditch water?

I'm glad I found this forum so I can get this info early on.

Thanks

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:57 am

Most of them need a prescription, but a lot of supply companies have catalogs that you can have your vet fax the script to and pay much less for them. It's not that the dogs get the worms a lot, it's more of a preventitive measure.

Tape worms are transmitted when a dog or cat eats infective eggs, which live in the soil or larvae, which live in small rodents. They are more common among hunting dogs. The easiest way to diagnosis the tape worm is by seeing tapeworm segments, which look like rice, in the stool, near the anus, or on the pet's fur.

Round worms are transmitted through ingestion of its eggs in an infected rodent, infected soil, or milk from an infected mother. The eggs hatch into larvae in the stomach, and the larvae travel to the small intestine where they mature into adults. The adults lay eggs, which pass out of the pet in its feces. Severe infection can create intestinal obstruction.

Hookworms are transmitted by ingesting the infective larvae (which usually live in soil) or by the larvae attaching to and burrowing through the dog's skin. Once inside the dog's body, larvae travel to the small intestine, mature, mate, and lay eggs. The eggs pass into the soil through the dog's feces. The worms feed on the host's blood.

Whipworms are transmitted by ingesting infective eggs that live in the soil. Once they're inside the host, the eggs hatch into larvae that travel to the large intestine and embed their long, whiplike tail into the intestinal wall. The larvae mature, mate, and lay eggs, which pass through the feces and into the soil.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:27 am

Fleet,

I get all my meds from my Honey!! Kind of helps when she is a Vet.

It is a good idea to keep your dogs on a heartworm preventative all year. Never know where you might be. If not, you will have to get a check up to make sure the dog doesnt have them before starting again.

I use a form of Ivomectin that is made for orall dispensing in horses. It is basiclly the same as the cattle and swine product, it just has a different carrier that tastes better, but is only available form a Veterinarian.

While we are on the subject and you are interested. Make sure you dont buy Ivomec PLUS, just use the regular Ivomec. The plus could make the dog fatalyy ill. Vets can not tell you to use it for your dog, because it is not labeled for canine usage. But if you check on heartworm preventatives, the main ingrdients is IVOMECTIN. I, along with many other professional trainers, have been using it for many years.

Ivomec is available at many farm stores, Attwoods, TSC, etc. It is by far cheaper if you have multiple dogs.

Phil
REO

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:34 am

Grant, Ivomec will keep your dog dewormed for the most part. It gets all worms except Tapes and Whips. Whips are pretty rare. If you are worried about it all you have to do is just pick up the dose a couple of ml`s occasionally. I can give just the least amount of dose to dogs that come in and if they are wormy, see worms. Also, we`ll be around Sun if you want to come up, would like to see Kage.
brenda

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:41 am

I give Justus a dose of Heartguard every month (similar to Ivomec it sounds). I also take a stool sample in to the vet ... every year I think. (I've only done it once thus far, and I don't think it is necessary until the one year mark, kinda like the rabies vaccine.)

The Heartguard or Ivomec monthly will be fine, just keep an eye on your dogs' stools every so often lest a tapeworm show up. I think they're visible in the stool if they're there.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:42 am

heartguard is similar to ivomec alright.... but it costs 300% more than going to the feed and seed and buying the ivomec. i am still trying to use up the last of my interceptor(which is great stuff, but pricey as well), and then we are on to just ivomec. it does taste like crap apparently, judge and condor gag and make a huge scene when it is time for their "bug poison" as eric calls it.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:00 pm

Sudie,

IF you guys are still planning on chasing a BOB or two with us this winter, dont buy the Ivomec, I could save ya some dough! That is, providing you bring some of that "Baked Dough" you brought last time! :lol:

Phil
REO

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:02 pm

Thanks B! Let me talk with the boss. She's been wanting to come!

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:01 pm

Does Ivomec prevent heartworms like Heartguard or just intestinal worms?

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:28 pm

Both I think.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:34 pm

More info here:

http://www.espomagazine.com/vet/apr96.htm
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ivermectin.html
http://www.internetvets.com/Articles/iv ... dosing.htm

Google search with "ivermectin dog" produced good results....

Just be careful of dose!!!!!

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:52 pm

Heartworms too. :D

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:04 pm

So, those of you who give Ivomec as a heartworm preventive, how much do you give and how often? And how long does it stay good after the bottle has been opened? Now that I have two dogs, I am looking for every way possible to save money on stuff like that, but if the dose is so low, I'm thinking the medicine would go bad before I used it all on just 2 dogs.

Biscuit ate something the other day after we gave her a Heartguard, and it made her puke, so the Heartguard came back up too. We dug it out with a spoon and gave it to her again :oops: ...that's a $10 puke!!! Fletcher got the 6-month shot a month ago, so he's protected for a while, but they have recalled the shot because of the reactions it's causing in some dogs. Fantastic.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:10 pm

Colleen,

10.00 Puke..good one! That stuff could get costly!

I give my shorthairs 1/2 cc of Ivomec (cattle and swine injectable) monthly. Given orally. This will work as a preventative. You could use it on treats or just shoot in theor mouth.

Even if you dont use it all by the time it expires, it will still be far cheaper for you at 50.00 per bottle. All you need is a syringe that has a removable needle!

Phil
REO

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:26 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong!!!

Ivermectin = 50ml Bottle

1cc = 1ml

Approx adult dog dose = 1/2cc (.5cc)

1 bottle of Ivermectin = 100 adult dog doses

100 adult dog doses = 8+ years for one dog.

My bottle expires about 1.5 years after I bought it.

Ivermec costs about $38 for 50ml
Heartguard $34 for 6mo.

http://www.durvet.com/DS/137_DS.pdf
http://www.durvet.com/L/137_L.pdf

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:32 am

I get all my dog meds and food and stuff from a local feed supply. It's called Prairie Land Feeds, and their prices are always cheaper than anywhere else.

I'll have to check if they have Heartguard this weekend. They're having a big sale.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:34 am

BINGO!

It is definetly cost effective for a two or more dog household!

Phil
REO

fleetmanager

Post by fleetmanager » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:39 pm

Wow :D

A lot of info to take in, I'm glad I found this forum. :)

Thanks everyone for all the info.

Rock

Post by Rock » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:52 am

I get some prescription drugs without a written prescription here http://www.petshed.com/default.asp. It is a Austrailian company, but I have used them for a few years now and they have provided great service and quick delivery at far cheaper prices.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

whipworms

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:40 pm

whipworms, my vet informs me, are usually regional. We have them in our area and before switching to Interceptor our dogs repeatedly got them. My neighbors dog died a month ago rather suddenly from them, though the vet says many dogs have them and never show signs or have too much trouble.
Not trying to scare you, but if your meds don't cover them you might want to talk to your vet about testing for them every so often. Especially if you travel alot and your dogs eat dirt and grass like ours do! :D