Found my pup!

birdyhunter

Found my pup!

Post by birdyhunter » Fri May 10, 2013 8:06 am

Well after much searching and asking I placed an ad on Craigslist offering a reward for Coopers safe return and within 8 hrs I had a call saying he knew where my pup was. Drove to the man's house and asked him about the dog, showed him pictures and wouldn't ya know this guy has never seen him before. Well I told him about the call I recieved and that I would call the sheriff right then to come check it out and he reluctantly walked around back and brought cooper out. I hold no grudge against the man I'm just glad to have my dog back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KwikIrish

Re: Found my pup!

Post by KwikIrish » Fri May 10, 2013 8:10 am

You're a stronger person than I. It would be hard to hold back on someone who lied to my face about denying having my dog.
So glad you have your happy ending :)

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri May 10, 2013 8:14 am

Yeah, me too. I'd have been pressing charges against the guy.

Xhipi1

Post by Xhipi1 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:20 am

Im glad you found your dog safe and still alive. :D

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri May 10, 2013 8:30 am

Excellent news...did u give him the reward? His reward should have been you NOT reporting him as a thief!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:32 am

Wow, good work and congratulations

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:40 am

Awesome news!!!

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 am

Good for you. I'll keep Craig's list in mind, just in case.

Nate

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri May 10, 2013 9:04 am

Great out come- you are a gentleman and a scholar------- I would have shown my true ancestory as a Neaderthal.

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri May 10, 2013 9:08 am

Glad you got the dog back. I still think a call to the cops would have been in order.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:Good for you. I'll keep Craig's list in mind, just in case.

Nate
Yeah, it's free and a lot of people use it. I've gotten a dog back using craigslist.

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 am

Great news! Congrats to your family and Cooper! I also congratulate you on the way that you handled the situation. You had more patients than I believe I would have had.

Hopefully we can get Cooper and Mason together when we move to Gainesville in August. I will touch base then!

birdyhunter

Post by birdyhunter » Fri May 10, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I did give the reward to the gentleman that called me and as far as the police go I'm not one for making a bad situation worse. I would have called if he hadn't returned him but all in all I'm just thankful to have him back. I know I should probably be a little more harsh but I dont know that I have it in me to cost this man's family a lot of heartache and money over a dog. I realize that's kind of what he did to me but Christ is my ultimate guide in situations like this.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:38 am

Very glad to hear you got him back!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 10, 2013 9:44 am

Get your dog microchipped or tattooed. Honestly, if the guy who had him would have done that, he could have kept your dog. Things worked out in your favor this time. Glad the dog is home.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri May 10, 2013 10:00 am

I would remember where he lives...... Payback would be in order.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri May 10, 2013 10:01 am

birdyhunter wrote:..but Christ is my ultimate guide in situations like this.
Very respectable! I guess I did not follow close enough to realize the "tipster" wasn't the guy who had the pup. My apologies for my statements above.

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:21 am

Congrats! Must be a huge relief. Sounds like you handled the situation well, but I'd still report this a-hole to the police. If someone doesn't stop him, he's going to steal someone else's dog, and the next guy may not be as lucky as you.

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Fri May 10, 2013 11:17 am

Congratulations on getting the dog back...

If this person was willing to stare you in the face and say he had no idea about the dog then what is there to prevent him from stealing someone else's dog in the future? Not sure I would have gone the route you took.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri May 10, 2013 11:35 am

Think I would press a baseball bat against his head. I would not hurt him anymore than I would for molesting my granddaughter!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 am

buckshot1 wrote:Congrats! Must be a huge relief. Sounds like you handled the situation well, but I'd still report this a-hole to the police. If someone doesn't stop him, he's going to steal someone else's dog, and the next guy may not be as lucky as you.

I agree completely. I also would make a report to the local police. If the SOB would steal someone's dog, that ain't all they would be capable of. Someone like that bears watching and that is what we have law enforcement for. I might also ask that a copy of this report be sent to your Div. of Fish and Game so that game wardens can watch out for him as well. Scum like that will usually thumb their noses at seasons, bag limits and safety zones which makes good hunters look bad in the public eye.

If there are any hunting preserves in your area, I would also inform them of this person so they could be vigilant. A heads up to your local ASPCA and animal shelter wouldn't be a bad idea either.

RayG

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Is it a known fact that the individual who had the dog is the one who stole him? Sure the guy who called on the ad wasn't involved?

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Fri May 10, 2013 12:35 pm

I'm glad you got your dog back
cc

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri May 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Glad things worked out for you!!

Charlie

mask

Post by mask » Fri May 10, 2013 1:24 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
buckshot1 wrote:Congrats! Must be a huge relief. Sounds like you handled the situation well, but I'd still report this a-hole to the police. If someone doesn't stop him, he's going to steal someone else's dog, and the next guy may not be as lucky as you.

I agree completely. I also would make a report to the local police. If the SOB would steal someone's dog, that ain't all they would be capable of. Someone like that bears watching and that is what we have law enforcement for. I might also ask that a copy of this report be sent to your Div. of Fish and Game so that game wardens can watch out for him as well. Scum like that will usually thumb their noses at seasons, bag limits and safety zones which makes good hunters look bad in the public eye. +1, You would simply be protecting your fellow birddog folks.

If there are any hunting preserves in your area, I would also inform them of this person so they could be vigilant. A heads up to your local ASPCA and animal shelter wouldn't be a bad idea either.

RayG

birdyhunter

Post by birdyhunter » Fri May 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Is it a known fact that the individual who had the dog is the one who stole him? Sure the guy who called on the ad wasn't involved?
It was a guy that lives a few doors down from him that called. I got the impression there was no love lost between the two.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri May 10, 2013 1:57 pm

So glad to read the good news!

LeonStagg

Post by LeonStagg » Fri May 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Congrats! Glad the recovery was a success, great that you get a second chance. I will always be grateful for every minute spent with my dogs.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri May 10, 2013 3:02 pm

birdyhunter wrote:Thanks guys I appreciate it. I did give the reward to the gentleman that called me and as far as the police go I'm not one for making a bad situation worse. I would have called if he hadn't returned him but all in all I'm just thankful to have him back. I know I should probably be a little more harsh but I dont know that I have it in me to cost this man's family a lot of heartache and money over a dog. I realize that's kind of what he did to me but Christ is my ultimate guide in situations like this.
Well, I am very glad this worked out for you but who is to say this guy won't do it again. I no longer give second chances. There is not justifiable reason for taking your dog or the next persons. He is the one causing heart ache and loss of money not just to his family but yours and the next one.

But I am truly happy you got cooper back. He is a great looking pup.
Rick

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Fri May 10, 2013 3:12 pm

Awesome news. You are obivously a better person then I am. I would have probably had the cops called on ME, as soon as he said he had never seen the dog before! I try to control myself nowadays....I am old. But sometimes the red comes out.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri May 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Was the dog taken from your kennel? if so I might have treated the man a bit roughly but then I would have to watch my back cause folks like that will sneak up on ya and hit ya with a brick....

I am installing wireless cameras on my feed lot after someone let the steers out. What a bit of trouble that was. Also gonna put one on the kennels so I can watch me pupps. Connect it to my home set up and watch them from any internet ready PC :)

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri May 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Birdy,

I have to agree with the posters who are encouraging you to file a report. I'm very glad you got your dog back. However, if you can prevent this happening to someone again, I would encourage you to do so. Having a report filed will be in the guy's record so if he does attempt this again the authorities can have a record that he has done it in the past. Turning the other cheek works against the best interest of the next family that looses a dog to this guy.

Again - so glad it worked out for you - but you've got a chance here to make a difference for another family that this guy victimizes. I urge you to call the police and file a report. Even if you choose not to press charges, you can get the file made - this will help the next guy.

Elsa

asc

Post by asc » Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Glad you got your dog back.. please file a report..

Just curious as to where your dog was stolen from and recovered.

I live in Citrus and hunt Citrus, Marion, Levy, and Alachua on a regular basis..

Thanks and GOOD DEAL for you!

birdyhunter

Post by birdyhunter » Fri May 10, 2013 8:28 pm

asc wrote:Glad you got your dog back.. please file a report..

I live in Citrus and hunt Citrus, Marion, Levy, and Alachua on a regular basis..

He was stolen and recovered inside union county and after much debate I contacted a good friend of mine who is a deputy and talked to him. Apparently he is a repeat offender and a formal report would be nothing more than another piece of paper in his file. It's sad to hear this and still have to worry about him being on the street. Repeat offender in my mind says that he should be behind bars not out in society with decent law abiding citizens.

asc

Post by asc » Fri May 10, 2013 9:07 pm

birdyhunter wrote:
asc wrote:Glad you got your dog back.. please file a report..

He was stolen and recovered inside union county and after much debate I contacted a good friend of mine who is a deputy and talked to him. Apparently he is a repeat offender and a formal report would be nothing more than another piece of paper in his file. It's sad to hear this and still have to worry about him being on the street. Repeat offender in my mind says that he should be behind bars not out in society with decent law abiding citizens.
You are a little N of me.. Good luck and I agree.

RSA

Post by RSA » Sat May 11, 2013 8:10 am

Man that's great news!

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat May 11, 2013 9:29 am

Id say he needs a good touch of god, not from church either.

M&M Shorthairs

Post by M&M Shorthairs » Sat May 11, 2013 9:58 am

Don't sound like laws or respect fit his vocabulary. Respect can be taught in many ways. Sounds like an old style country butt woopin is in order for this guy. Just my take on it. Still good that the other guy was lookin out for ya.