Death of a dog

airmedic1

Death of a dog

Post by airmedic1 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 pm

My sons dog had to be put to sleep tonight and as expected, he is very upset. :( I read a poem once, I don't remember the name, about the death of a hunting dog. It talked about how much pleasure they give and how tough it is when they die. I can't seem to find it anywhere now when Tony could use it the most. Does any one have an idea about what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance

AM

Red

Re: Death of a dog

Post by Red » Thu May 09, 2013 9:14 pm

This one?

'There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.'

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu May 09, 2013 9:32 pm

Sharon Potter once wrote a nice piece called "where to bury your dog" that was well written. The best advise I have heard comes from a comedian "of all people", Jeff Foxworthy. " A new puppy heals the heart quicker than anything". Just do it! You won't regret it. :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 09, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm very sorry.

IF IT SHOULD BE
If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what needs to be done,
For this last battle can not be won.

You will be sad, I understand;
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years-
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come, so let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me
Although my face its’ last has smiled.
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years-
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu May 09, 2013 9:48 pm

I saw another one in Gray's sporting journal. I'll look ...have a saved stack of favorites. Sorry for your loss. Its hard and sometimes non dog people do not understand but everyone here KNOWS. :cry: so very tough, but you know they are pain free and personally, I believe Heaven has a many old 4legged friends waiting on their people.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 pm

All dogs go to Heaven......In my opinion they are the best creatures to walk the face of the Earth. If I allow myself, I can get very emotional thinking of all my buddies of the past.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri May 10, 2013 2:58 am

Where to Bury a Dog by Ben Lampman is the essay about a setter. Condolences to your son on his loss. One of my pups went today to a man who lost his fourteen year old shorthair last fall. It was fun to see a new beginning.

big swill

Post by big swill » Fri May 10, 2013 5:41 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:All dogs go to Heaven......In my opinion they are the best creatures to walk the face of the Earth. If I allow myself, I can get very emotional thinking of all my buddies of the past.
I agree, all dogs go to Heaven. I was told once that dogs can't go to Heaven because they don't have souls. I just don't believe that something with no soul can see into mine. Ironic that if I were more like my dogs I'd be a better person. Very sorry for your and your son's loss, airmedic. I've got 2 young sons of my own and the hardest part is seeing your child so upset.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri May 10, 2013 6:11 am

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/wheretob.htm
this is the above mentioned poem.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri May 10, 2013 6:45 am

Know just what he's going through. Get a puppy! If It Should Be is a favorite of mine but, I can't read the whole thing before it gets to me. I also have Rainbow Bridge, it's easier for me to read. How old is your son?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri May 10, 2013 6:51 am

My condolences.
The loss of a dog is never easy for any one of any age.
There are many poems dealing with tribute and loss, hunting dog or other.
But, I always recall Jimmy Stewart's poem that I saw him read on the Tonight Show.....perhaps for it's simple honesty, perhaps for a connection that we all feel at such times regardless of anything but being owned by a dog.

The words here:

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/beau.htm

The video here:

http://youtu.be/mwGnCIdHQH0

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri May 10, 2013 5:04 pm

The one I've recently shared this week because of a loss of a great dog is called "lend me a pup." It is awesome and maybe could help your boy.

I will lend to you for awhile
a puppy, God said,
For you to love him while he lives
and to mourn for him when he is gone.
Maybe for twelve or fourteen years,
or maybe for two or three
But will you, till I call him back
take care of him for me?

He'll bring his charms to gladden you
and (should his stay be brief)
you'll always have his memories
as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise that he will stay,
since all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught below
I want this pup to learn.

I've looked the whole world over
in search of teachers true
And from the folk that crowd life's land
I have chosen you.
Now will you give him all your love
Nor think the labour vain
Nor hate me when I come to take my pup back again.

I fancied that I heard them say
"Dear Lord Thy Will Be Done,"
For all the joys this pup will bring,
the risk of grief you'll run.
Will you shelter him with tenderness
Will you love him while you may
And for the happiness you'll know forever grateful stay.

But should I call him back
much sooner than you've planned
Please brave the bitter grief that comes
and try to understand.
If, by your love, you've managed
my wishes to achieve,
In memory of him that you've loved,
cherish every moment with your faithful bundle,
and know he loved you too.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Fri May 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Here's a good one - Author unknown.

A man was riding his horse down a road, his dog padding along by their side. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that his horse and dog had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother of pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He nudged the horse toward the gate, and as he got closer, saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is heaven, sir," the man answered. "Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked. "Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up." The man gestured, and the gate began to open. "Can my friends," gesturing downward towards his horse and dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked. "I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept animals." The man thought a moment and then turned his horse back toward the road and continued the way he had been going.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road which led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?" "Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there" The man pointed to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in." "How about my friends here?" the traveler asked. "There should be a bowl and a bucket by the pump."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old fashioned hand pump with a bowl and a bucket beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, then gave some to the dog while he filled the bucket for his horse. When they all were satisfied, he led his horse back toward the man who was standing by the tree waiting for them, the dog following faithfully behind.

"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked. "This is heaven," was the answer. "Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was heaven, too." "Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's heck." "Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?" "No. I can see how you might think so, but we're just happy that they screen out the folks who'll leave their best friends behind."

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat May 11, 2013 7:13 am

I love it.

airmedic1

Post by airmedic1 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks to everyone that replied and for your kind words and thoughts. My son is grown but has had this dog for nine years and he and his wife were very attached.

I particularly like the one about the man, his horse and his dog. I will remember that one!

I think the poem I was looking for was in a book titled "A breed apart" and it was edited by George Bird Evans.

AM

thedogmother

Post by thedogmother » Mon May 13, 2013 10:50 am

I'm soory for your loss, very hard I know. I have always liked this poem:

A Dog's Prayer
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.
When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.
And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.
--Beth Norman Harris

donne

Post by donne » Mon May 13, 2013 6:06 pm

Will Rogers is said to have said "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went". I understand and agree completely, and I'm sure your son does too. Sorry for your loss.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed May 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Airmedic1, hows your son getting along? Would he go for a pup? If so PM me

fourseasons

Post by fourseasons » Sun May 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Here's one that's been around for some years:

Just a Dog

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or,
"that's a lot of money for just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I
did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a
dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave
me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you probably live your life
using phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust,
and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a
better person.

Because of "just a dog", I will rise early, take long walks and look
longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of
all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and
the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts
away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog", but
the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man or
woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog" just smile... because
they "just don't understand."