I was told NO

Petra

I was told NO

Post by Petra » Sat May 18, 2013 6:00 pm

I want to know what others think of the response that I received when I applied to adopt a young female GWP (who is spayed). Some of you may have read my tribute to Petra 3 weeks ago after she lost her battle with cancer. Both Riley and I would love a new addition, I do not have enough time for a pup now ( even though my dogs/dog have free run of the house when I am not home and have a dog door to go outside in a 20 x30 run with grass and cement with outdoor areas to lay down for the four days that I work) so I have gone to rescue groups to give a dog a good home. this is copied from what I received and my response.

Hi Toni,
  In order for us to approve your application, you will need to bring your dog(s) to the vet for neuter surgery since we require all resident dogs to be up to date and fixed prior to adoption no matter the age or sex (if there is a health risk, then we will need written proof from your vet describing why your pet cannot be spayed/neutered).  Please let me know when this has been done & we can go from there.  If you decide not to get your pet(s) fixed, then we will not be able to approve you to adopt through our organization. All adopters and fosters are required to have their resident dog(s) spayed/neutered and up to date on vaccines before we can approve them to adopt or foster for us.
  Thank you for your understanding and cooperation to reduce animal overpopulation!
Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

And my Response

It is too bad that each person is not treated individually,  it will be difficult to find a home where that dog will be better treated or loved ,  I will never believe again that it is difficult to find dogs a home or foster with the thousands of just female dogs on pet finder in minnesota that need homes and I am being turned down. She could be running on two acres with my dog , going to the lake and swimming, running fields.  The implication that I am part of the problem of overpopulation of unwanted dogs is apparent ,  my dog has received conformation titles , prized in field trials under the age of two, his hips are in the top 1% of the over 800 GSPs tested that year, ( remember I am not trying to brag my dog up here but was trying to make a point) he has not been used as a sire even though I have  said no to 6 inquires, to over $ 6,000.00  to be responsible,  he will only be used if the owner of the female  will be also responsible breed and have more than enough deposits on puppies   and we BOTH have a say if the breeding should take place or not, he may never sire a litter, just because he is intact does not mean he is being allowed to over populate the earth with GSPs. ( I may have gotten a little dramatic ) :oops:    There does not need to be any more discussion on this, but  a blog on this may need to happen so I can get other responsible breeders opinion on this.    GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF THE DOGS

SOOOO????

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: I was told NO

Post by kninebirddog » Sat May 18, 2013 6:07 pm

That is a bunch of BS...they require you to put your dogs in danger of other things that Spay and Neuters can cause for some self servant purpose
No wonder why some rescues are having problems placing dogs... :|

Do not worry ...you know something will come to you maybe not at your right time but the right time for some special animal that would be happy to live at your home. :wink:

rinker

Post by rinker » Sat May 18, 2013 6:54 pm

It sounds to me like there priority is imposing their agenda on others, not helping this dog.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat May 18, 2013 6:56 pm

To bad for the dog but, I'd tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat May 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Like the man said...the dog is the loser, but you have no control over that.

You did the right thing, you put yourself out there, but the rescue group didn't want you. I mark that down as their loss due to a stupid rule. No big deal.

People do dumb stuff all the time...AND WE KEEP ELECTING THEM :oops: :oops: ...but I digress.

There are plenty of fish in the sea. Wasn't meant to be. Move on and don't look back.

I would be willing to bet that there would have been additional stumbling blocks further down the road with these numbskulls. I would be willing to bet real money on that. Sounds like it ain't just the dogs that should be neutered.

RayG

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Sat May 18, 2013 7:24 pm

I have facebook friends that are associated with rescues and they often post requests for someone (read, anyone) to do a home visit to check out a potential adopter. Why the heck they would trust a random person more they trust the adopter always escapes me. All I can think is that some times people with good intentions get caught up in bad ideas and bureaucracy.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:13 pm

There are various rescue groups, Petra, and they have not all been taken over by unthinking soft-headed semi-animal rights freaks. You might visit the GWPCA site and look at their rescue section. Breed clubs--certainly the GWPCA--are comprised of people who understand what you've said about your shorthair. Obviously the dullards in the group with which you've been dealing do not.

A wirehair is an excellent, amusing and fun breed. Just what you need to help you over the loss of a beloved dog. One helped me to do exactly that.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sat May 18, 2013 8:26 pm

you cant fix stupid,

joshlaugh

Post by joshlaugh » Sat May 18, 2013 8:29 pm

I feel your pain. I had a negative run in with a brittany rescue group. Way over the top. I can work, raise a family but they don't want us to raise a dog the way we know how to? As others have said, no wonder some of the rescue agencies have trouble placing dogs.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat May 18, 2013 8:45 pm

I ran into a similar situation when I tried to adopt a GSP for my wife to use as a therapy dog. we live on a farm 360 continuous acres which includes 100acres of CRP and they wouldnt allow me to adopt because 1. I have no fence, and 2. because I have several intact dogs with no intention to spay or neuter.

I will buy a pup or breed one before i ever look at another rescue.

Jim

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat May 18, 2013 8:48 pm

Some of the rescue groups would rather euthanize a dog than place them.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sat May 18, 2013 9:25 pm

They own the dog, they get to set the rules. Some won't adopt out a hunting dog to hunters. Some claim that they can make unannounced visits and reclaim the dog if your care doesn't meet their requirements. Then, they try to tell you buying a dog is wrong, as it encourages breeding. I saw one posting for a rescue that fed their rescues a vegan diet.

They all mean well and most are working hard at rescue. A few just aren't to bright. Try other rescues, maybe from small towns, or some breed rescues. Maybe ask some breeders if they do any rescue work.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:07 pm

I tried years ago to talk some sense into several rescue groups and they are just as bad as PETA and other animal rights groups. And the sad thing is when you try to help because you believe in the premise of rescue. And the results were taking a verbal beating from all of the animal rights people who call themselves Dog Rescue Groups. Absolutely not one of them would ever admit they were wrong in any way. I gave up and I see absolutely no improvement in anything they do.

Ezzy

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun May 19, 2013 2:36 am

That sort of attitude from dog adoption societies really annoys me. I know of a 3 years old spaniel an adoption society took in ,that spaniel had two shooting seasons behind it but her owner had died suddenly. The adoption society would not let the dog go to a shooting home although two homes wanted the dog. The adoption society said it was their policy never to let dogs go to shooting homes.

To my mind that was being unkind to the dog. She loved field work.

Bill T.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun May 19, 2013 11:27 am

Rescues can do whatever they want. They are often privately run groups that rely heavily on volunteers to carry out fostering, vetting, and the like. The average joe that wants to adopt a dog will get one that is spayed or neutered already. The dogs are there because they were unwanted and the rescue stepped in. They are trying to be responsible and curb the dog overpopulation problem. It sucks that they can't see past the rules to learn the "person" behind the application.

I will tell you that I got a recent email from a local yokel that wanted to adopt a dog but the rescue I foster for wouldn't adopt out because she has an intact female.....she breeds the dog every time it comes into season so she can "make a little spending money" from the litters. I wouldn't adopt out to her and I'm glad that rule was in place to weed her out. The rules are in place to help the problem (overpopulation) but it would be nice if the shelters/rescues would look more carefully into individual situations. I will tell you that you are likely the top tier of applicants....there are many more out there like the woman I described. If you were to foster for a group and then find a good "keeper", I'm sure after knowing you, they would adopt to you. They have no way of really knowing you through one email. Keep in mind they deal with thousands of really sketchy individuals in a year. Plus, most of them are volunteers with real jobs.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Sun May 19, 2013 11:37 am

A. You can't fix stupid.

b. The rescue group "Needs rescuing".
The rescue group is in the disqualification business, not the adopting business.
Wipe the slime off, thumb your nose in their direction, and move on.
I have had similar experience with "rescue" groups.
Some are great & others are dumber than the dogs the are trying to rescue.

Good Luck & Best Wishes finding the next dog.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun May 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Either work through the breed club or look elsewhere. Non-affiliated rescues, in my experience, are self righteous control freaks who would rather kill a dog than have a breeder or hunter feed it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Either work through the breed club or look elsewhere. Non-affiliated rescues, in my experience, are self righteous control freaks who would rather kill a dog than have a breeder or hunter feed it.
And most of the breed rescues are just as bad.

Ezzy

reba

Post by reba » Sun May 19, 2013 12:57 pm

I went through this ONCE!

When they found out I was going to hunt the dog they said NO.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun May 19, 2013 1:07 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Either work through the breed club or look elsewhere. Non-affiliated rescues, in my experience, are self righteous control freaks who would rather kill a dog than have a breeder or hunter feed it.

Ezzy
Not if they are associated with an organized breed club because they depend on breeders and those involved with dog sports for support. I have been involved with several rescue organizations and this haa always proven to be true.

Petra

Post by Petra » Sun May 19, 2013 1:34 pm

I am a little surprised at the one post that the dog was left intact . Usually the rescues and the H. societies as soon as an animal crosses the threshold it is on the operating table no matter what the age. Well the local Humane S. has a GWP that was surrender with positive Lyme test that they are not going to treat I offered to take the dog and pay the vet. bill if I saw that the two dogs interacted OK but they would not allow the dogs to meet. I understand the possibilities that could happen. I guess the dog that I am suppose to get isn’t ready for me yet. This post was self-serving to see if anyone in my area that was having to deal with the tough decision of giving up their dog , they might contact me before a rescue. I will run Riley morning and night to help him and it will help me also. The right dog will come along or when I am better prepared with time, a pup.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
Not if they are associated with an organized breed club because they depend on breeders and those involved with dog sports for support. I have been involved with several rescue organizations and this haa always proven to be true.
As far as I know every breed rescue is associated with an organized breed. At least all of the ones I have had contact with were and they are as misguided as they can be.

Ezzy

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sun May 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Not every breed rescue is hooked to an all breed club! I feel it's always best to contact the rescue attached to a club first, they know the breed best!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun May 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Every so called rescue or humane society groups that I know of (which is mostly limited to the area where I live) are a bunch of whackos (spelling?) who would rather kill dogs rather than placing them in a good home for that individual dog.

Charlie

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 pm

fuzznut wrote:Not every breed rescue is hooked to an all breed club! I feel it's always best to contact the rescue attached to a club first, they know the breed best!
Or just contact a club officer.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun May 19, 2013 9:14 pm

I know it might be a little more than you might want to do, but could you have a friend adopt the dog then take it from them? I never tried to adopt and dont know what rules they might have, but if you really wanted to help that dog, it might be worth it. It sounds like the dog would have a better life with you than most people. Just a thought

John