Wild Upland Hunting in the West...Where?

roaniecowpony

Wild Upland Hunting in the West...Where?

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue May 28, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm considering where my western bird hunting trips should be to this coming season. Looking at the drought monitor maps http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/ , it looks grim for large parts of the west, especially the southwest. I'm in southern California and I was considering driving to those areas in white on that map. I haven't hunted any of that area from eastern Washington over into eastern Montana. I'd be up for a guided lodge hunt where I could use my own dogs.

Anyone have ideas, references, etc.?

jwnissen

Re: Wild Upland Hunting in the West...Where?

Post by jwnissen » Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Eastern oregon about 15 miles north of LaGrande has cbarc outfitters. They are really nice people and you can use your own dogs. They charged $150 for 6 pheasants guided or you can get quail. They have a website i beleive it is cbarcoutfitters.com Good luck.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue May 28, 2013 6:41 pm

You need to re-title the thread I think... :wink: :lol:

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Tue May 28, 2013 7:16 pm

DGFavor wrote:You need to re-title the thread I think... :wink: :lol:

I think you just nominated yourself!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed May 29, 2013 1:20 pm

cjuve wrote:

Yikes, last thing you'd want is a guided hunt from me if you actually are trying to find something!! :lol: :lol:

Just struck my funny bone the Wild Upland Hunting in the West title being a guided lodge/buy a bird thread...based on a prediction from a map that may or may not have anything to do with birds/bird populations! IMO, hunting in the west is, yah sure, about finding a few birds, but also, and maybe more so, about big country, wild places, being part of the food chain, physical exertion, taking a chance on a place to hunt then applying shoeleather and sweat, letting the bird dogs be bird dogs. I'm a romantic...you have to be when you suck at actually hunting/finding anything!! :lol: :lol:

Personally, I advise looking at some maps that might be of more assistance illustrating public lands, pick a few spots that look like they will fit your travel plans, load up the dogs and go give'r heck!! :D

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed May 29, 2013 10:39 pm

The birds are where you find them, drought or no drought. Local conditions vary immensely, so like others I'd suggest you find some traditionally birdy spots and start walking. Try to find water in those spots - streams, etc., and keep walking. In Montana, the block management program is helpful, putting you on private ground that might have birds. if you want a guided experience for truly wild birds in Montana, contact Al Gadoury at 6X Outfitters and get ready to walk. Washington's public access program is not as strong, Idaho has so much BLM ground who needs access to private property?

I look at first trips as an opportunity to see new places, meet new people, and maybe find some birds. Worst case, you cross those spots off your list for next season. If you want lots of birds and lots of shots at them, maybe some preserves are worth a visit along the way, exploring on the other days - best of both worlds.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu May 30, 2013 12:05 am

Years of scouting, scanning google aerial views, talking to ranchers and the hit and miss in the few areas that are productive. Also takes a dog that's happy with it's feet and face full of cactus. I think Arizona and a guide would be your best bet. No birds here in NM.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu May 30, 2013 2:16 pm

DGFavor wrote:
cjuve wrote:

Yikes, last thing you'd want is a guided hunt from me if you actually are trying to find something!! :lol: :lol:

Just struck my funny bone the Wild Upland Hunting in the West title being a guided lodge/buy a bird thread...based on a prediction from a map that may or may not have anything to do with birds/bird populations! IMO, hunting in the west is, yah sure, about finding a few birds, but also, and maybe more so, about big country, wild places, being part of the food chain, physical exertion, taking a chance on a place to hunt then applying shoeleather and sweat, letting the bird dogs be bird dogs. I'm a romantic...you have to be when you suck at actually hunting/finding anything!! :lol: :lol:

Personally, I advise looking at some maps that might be of more assistance illustrating public lands, pick a few spots that look like they will fit your travel plans, load up the dogs and go give'r heck!! :D

That picture looks familiar.....

"Hey Josh, so hike up that hill and see whats up there. I will hold down the fort till you get back" :)

I agree with Doug, the funnest part is exploring "birdy" looking areas and then seeing your dog standing. Makes it all worthwhile.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri May 31, 2013 12:09 am

Scott
Thanks for the lead. Having to drive a few days in each direction and having limited vacation limits how much scouting and learning a new area I can do. Finding a good guide and good lodging maximizes my chances and enjoyment. Here in socal, the last season was so dry that coveys were really decimated in my known areas. When I could find them they were in large coveys where water was available. But these coveys were very few and far between. I finally decided to leave them and focus out of state.

Gotpointers
Thnaks, I can appreciate doing the time to research new hunting grounds. But doing that 1000-1500 miles from home just isn't practical for me before i retire. Im willing to hire a pro to help with that part. If its on private land, im ok with access fees. Regarding AZ, I've been hunting southern AZ quail enough to have some good grounds which I hope will be productive this next season.

I'm not interested in pen raised birds. I can do that locally to fill time/train.

codym

Post by codym » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:08 am

That picture looks familiar.....

"Hey Josh, so hike up that hill and see whats up there. I will hold down the fort till you get back" :)

I agree with Doug, the funnest part is exploring "birdy" looking areas and then seeing your dog standing. Makes it all worthwhile.[/quote]

I knew that had to be you Josh! Hiking up to a dog on point with your gun over shoulder like a roadie carryin a guitar, let me guess you shot like 8 times and didn't touch a feather? You are an amazing conservationist! Go shoot some clays you poser! JK bro can't wait to get back up there!

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:18 am

codym wrote:That picture looks familiar.....

I agree with Doug, the funnest part is exploring "birdy" looking areas and then seeing your dog standing. Makes it all worthwhile.

I knew that had to be you Josh! Hiking up to a dog on point with your gun over shoulder like a roadie carryin a guitar, let me guess you shot like 8 times and didn't touch a feather? You are an amazing conservationist! Go shoot some clays you poser! JK bro can't wait to get back up there![/quote]

I have never claimed to be a good shot! heck I bet I killed like 20 birds last year, not bad for hunting 50 days! :)

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:34 pm

If you end up going to Washington pm me and I will let you know where we got into a ton of quail last year. We found a few roosters, but the quail hunting was by far the best it has been in the few years I have been going over there.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 pm

My plan is to pack my gear (and Credit card for gas lol), pups, and pull out the ol' DeLorme Atlas and pick a spot that's rough, remote, and located in areas that are known to hold birds (not hard to discover on the interweb) then hit the road.

Some where in NV, OR, or ID should do....then the hiking and cussing begins....for two weeks straight.....
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)