Door rushing dogs

cole.nelson782

Door rushing dogs

Post by cole.nelson782 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:48 am

My two dogs seem to have a problem rushing out/in a door every time it opens its really bad with my wife they almost knock her over. Is there any way to train her to get the dogs to stop doing this to her?

big swill

Re: Door rushing dogs

Post by big swill » Thu May 30, 2013 9:23 am

It'll be easier to train the dogs than you wife, LOL. I'm sure someone will disagree with this, but basically your dogs need to be taught some manners and who's in charge, at least when it comes to who's going through the door first. If your dogs know whoa, then whoa them at the door and make sure they understand that they don't go in or out a door until you or your wife ALLOW them to go in or out of a door. It's a simple little OB exercise that reminds dogs of who's actually in charge.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:24 am

How do you handle feeding them? Getting them to whoa up before you let them get to their bowls can work the same way for your problem. If I have a dog that will run for the opening space, I put my leg between it and the dog. Always expect them to brake, that way you will not initially open the door wider than your leg the first few times.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu May 30, 2013 9:51 am

I had that problem when the boy's were young. In fact I've had the problem with every pup I've had. Finally fixed the problem, got divorced! When I go out from the time they are very young, I open the door and when they try to rush through, close the door right away. Doesn't take long and they quit that garbage.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Thu May 30, 2013 10:05 am

Basically what we are talking about here is the "kennel" command. Kennel commands tend to be one of the most overlooked commands I see, especially the release. It is actually one of the first things I teach with pups albeit a bit differently than what I do with older dogs. If you have an outdoor run for your dogs, you can teach them out there and then transfer to the house. Here's what I do for an older dog that has already developed a habit: Dog knows sit. Dog is in the kennel. I walk up to the gate and put my hand on the latch. Dog starts bouncing around. I give the sit command. I start to slowly open the gate. If the dog moves I shut the gate and say "NO! sit." When dog is sitting quietly again I repeat the process. When he sits until the gate is completely open I give him an "Out" to release him into the yard. Then, I gradually lengthen the time he needs to sit to get the release. Evenually, a week or two, he should be able to sit for a minute or two very easily before I send him on his way. After he has it in the dog run, I do the same thing in the house.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Thu May 30, 2013 2:36 pm

we do same thing as whoadog I make him sit at the door the slowly open if he gets up before he is allowed I check him with the leash then when we do go through the door and I make him sit on the outside untill shut the door. it took a little in the begining to get him to understand but he is coming along. If the dog isn't on a leash you will never have full control over the dog and you cant reinforce the commands. good luck with your dogs
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu May 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Much good advice given, as said, it is basic obedience, part of being a good citizen. Children and dogs must learn manners.

Reminds me of when I was about 6 and I smarted off to our local shop owner. Grandma waited until we got home, and I can still hear her words:

"Son, you are never going to be handsome, and Lord knows you are not all that smart, but you WILL HAVE GOOD MANNERS".

With tears in my eyes I returned alone to apologise. It has stayed with me for 60 years.

Dogs need to learn the same lessons, always.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:34 pm

OK well I will start getting them right and have her watch so that she can do it to. The only time the bolt on me is when I let them out the house to lift a leg or pop a squat. They will run to the door when I say pottie. And then they shoot out the door. So I'll make them sit every time till I send them.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu May 30, 2013 6:21 pm

DonF wrote:I had that problem when the boy's were young. In fact I've had the problem with every pup I've had. Finally fixed the problem, got divorced! When I go out from the time they are very young, I open the door and when they try to rush through, close the door right away. Doesn't take long and they quit that garbage.
I do the same thing. Same for beginning of whoa and leave it. Drop treat on floor, dog goes for it, I step on it. Put their bowl down, they go for it, I pick it up.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu May 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Everytime they bolt for the door, I shut the door quickly, bumping it against their nose [lightly] while giving the whoa command [verbal or hand signal]. I make them stand until I give the release command. As was also mentioned, I make them stand at a "whoa" while I put food into the bowl and give a release command. I have never had it to take long at all to accomplish these basic OB drills.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri May 31, 2013 5:00 am

DonF wrote:I had that problem when the boy's were young. In fact I've had the problem with every pup I've had. Finally fixed the problem, got divorced! When I go out from the time they are very young, I open the door and when they try to rush through, close the door right away. Doesn't take long and they quit that garbage.
HEHE. Wish I did not like my wife so much would be much quieter and more control in my house. :wink:
Same at home.
I shut the door on them and do not say any thing. Once they are thinking about it I make them sit and let them out one at a time.
Wife on the other hand>>>>> :roll:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Neil wrote:Much good advice given, as said, it is basic obedience, part of being a good citizen. Children and dogs must learn manners.

Reminds me of when I was about 6 and I smarted off to our local shop owner. Grandma waited until we got home, and I can still hear her words:

"Son, you are never going to be handsome, and Lord knows you are not all that smart, but you WILL HAVE GOOD MANNERS".

With tears in my eyes I returned alone to apologise. It has stayed with me for 60 years.

Dogs need to learn the same lessons, always.
+1 well said! :x

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:16 am

All 4 of our dogs reside at least part time in the house. Each dog knows its name, and when they are called by name to go out, they exit individually. This helps to eliminate the me first mentality. As with all your training and discipline, consistent repetition is the key to success.

Nate

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:12 pm

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:All 4 of our dogs reside at least part time in the house. Each dog knows its name, and when they are called by name to go out, they exit individually. This helps to eliminate the me first mentality. As with all your training and discipline, consistent repetition is the key to success.

Nate
And for most dogs, it is not that difficult, IME.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:53 am

I use the same method as DoubleBarrel GunDogs does. It works great. With the door open, we practice whoa about 10' back from the door, then I name each dog individually in random order to release them. That way, there is lots of time to block a bolting dog with your leg or just shut the door if you need to.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:01 pm

The phrase "rushing out/in a door every time it opens" means different things to different people, based on where they keep their dogs.

My dogs are full-time house dogs and I live close to a busy street. I've got a neighbor who has had three dogs squashed (over 25 years) due to her dog rushing out an open (or slightly open) front door. The thought terrifies me. Acccordingly, my dogs never ever go out the front door (on lead) without a specific release word. Same for getting of a car. It's easy to teach; see above. Consistency is what counts.

It's a lot easier to initially train a dog in the house on lead than off, by the way.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:47 pm

We have a "whoa mat" at the door... She get's Whoa'd going to the door and coming in... when someone comes to the door, she gets kenneled... good luck!
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:39 pm

OK during feeding I've been making them sit and stay for about two minutes with their dish on the floor and not allowing them to eat until told. And they have been waiting until then. Now tonight I fed them while they where eating I opened the sliding glass door and they came running out of the laundry room clear across the house at a mad dash. I shut the door told them to go eat I did it again same result. They still are having issues with bolting only the back door. Not sure if the wife has been doing what I told her or not. I'll have to train her again.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:11 am

I would work with each dog seperately first on a leash then check cord teaching them to sit or stand STAY at the door. I would do it about 6 ft. in side the door. Use what ever ccorrection method you choose depending on the training collar. Teaching dogs to stay when ever you say it is just good obedience training for all dogs. You should find some YOUTUBE.com video clips to show you how to do it.