Cool looking new hunting vest

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:55 pm

http://www.pheasantblog.org/new-for-201 ... bird-vest/

Looks to have some good features - I particularly liked the room for a hydration pack and the wrap around bird pockets - I am much like a tyrannosaurus - my short little arms have a hard time getting those roosters in the back of the vests I use.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Cool looking new hunting vest

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Looks warm and designed for expeditions...plus, too many pockets and geejaws.

This outfit has an archery directed background re hunting, no?

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Too much....does it have a kitchen sink ? :mrgreen:

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 pm

Pretty sweat! But not worth the price tag IMO.

Roostermom,
There are some decent front loading vests and jackets out there. Check out what Browning has to offer.
My wife got the bird n light with zip off sleves and they have a vest like the one here by Browning that I use , nothing special but front loading.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:40 am

I like those style of vests/backpacks. Takes the weight off you lower back when hunting long distances or having to climb in elevation. But as with everything I own if they have pockets I'll fill them. I have the WW vest and it seems to work fine- not much cheaper but a little.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:56 am

More of a back pack with a vest sewn over the top than just a vest. Might be worth it to chukar hunters though.

deke

Post by deke » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:38 am

I had one of the backpack style vests, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. At the beginning of the year I thought it was just me, and then by mid year when I shot 50 shells at quail well within 40 yds I decided it was the vest. Switched to my old vest the next day and limited out. Both my buddies use them though and they have never shot better, but something about shouldering the gun for me was very off.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Looks warm and designed for expeditions...plus, too many pockets and geejaws.

This pack/vest is for folks that hunt out west, you know.....where you have to walk away from your vehicle. We don't hunt tiny "coverts", or whatever the heck you easterners call them...

I almost went with a Tenzig but I decided to get a Badlands instead (thinner shoulder straps). I'm happy so far, we'll see how it works out this season.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:49 pm

JWP58 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Looks warm and designed for expeditions...plus, too many pockets and geejaws.

This pack/vest is for folks that hunt out west, you know.....where you have to walk away from your vehicle. We don't hunt tiny "coverts", or whatever the heck you easterners call them...

I agree...that does not really explain the singular popularity of the Wing Works vest "back East" for many but I would guess this company sought to capitalize on the current popularity of the load-toting vest by adapting what they already produced.
Good for them.
Simply appears, as noted and to me...hot and full of excess pockets and geejaws when worn....wherever.
Vests, like most upland stuff, carries a big factor of keeping-up-with-the-Jones family.

The remainder of your comment pretty well defines your the boyish smallness that appears to need continual refreshment with stabs at conflict.
You need to mature a bit, lad.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Being a vest junkie, I've been lusting after this vest. http://wingworks.biz/

My vest for the past couple seasons has been the Orvis strap vest. It has spring closing shell pockets I really like and its pretty comfortable. Pricey, but my favorite vest so far. ... so many vests... nothing wrong with splurging on your pashions. :D

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Mountaineer wrote:.
You need to mature a bit, lad.
Don't get mad at me just because I'm the only one that call you out as the pompous jerk you are. Now take your cartouches and go reminisce about how you're better than everyone and your opinion is all mighty.

Every time I read one of your posts I start looking for waders, because the bullshit gets pretty deep......

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:Being a vest junkie, I've been lusting after this vest. http://wingworks.biz/

My vest for the past couple seasons has been the Orvis strap vest. It has spring closing shell pockets I really like and its pretty comfortable. Pricey, but my favorite vest so far. ... so many vests... nothing wrong with splurging on your pashions. :D
I finally picked up the WW last year- been a boon for Chukar Hunting and suprisingly it's not a PIA when grouse hunting.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:11 pm

What ever happened to a simple front loading light weight vest !!! Some of these look like they are made for a infantry soldier

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:What ever happened to a simple front loading light weight vest !!! Some of these look like they are made for a infantry soldier
I prefer to go even more minimal than that, I prefer these.

http://www.uplandgear.com/

I had a Pella that was very nice, but I never used it so I sold it.

atothek

Post by atothek » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:13 am

Anyone have experience with Brownings bird n lite vest?

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:24 am

The light weight vest is certainly fine when circumstances let you use it- but in the West when you are hiking a long ways and certain areas do not have water available you have to be able to carry it the easiest way possible. These type of vests take that load off your back. Wearing that WW vest last year- at the end of the day I sure felt a lot better on the drive home. And at 58 that's a big plus.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:03 pm

I agree. I'd rather hunt with something like that little belt pictured above...when hunting close enough to the truck and hunting quail. I have a few very similar to that. But hunting in the west often takes me miles from the truck, especially chukar hunting. And that little belt won't carry 2 or three roosters.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Agreed if I was getting several miles from the truck I would want more than a belt. BTW I can confirm that two roosters will fit, three will not, but most places I hunt if I have three in the bag then I'm done and I'll carry the third!

thedogmother

Post by thedogmother » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:50 pm

It is a nice looking vest but I wish it had a place for bottle holders too. So much easier for me to water my dog with a water bottle then with a hydration pack. I have been looking for a new vest and needless to say I have been looking at the WingWorks, more so now that they have room for a hydration pack and the water bottles too. I have also been looking at the LLBean vests.

Tenzing does make awesome products though. I love my hunting backpack from them.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Just stick the water bottles in the other pockets and call it good. No need for extra pockets in my opinion. The Tenzing has enough places to carry stuff.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:20 pm

When I get more than 1/2 mile from the truck, I like to carry a little first aid kit for the dogs. It's come in handy enough times, I just feel better about having it. My kit is about the size of a large chukar. So, I end up with a strap vest most times.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:44 pm

I have a light weight Filson strap vest I bought over 20 years ago. It carries all I want to tote. It is clear I will die before it wears out and it has been from Maine to Texas in some woolly places. The blaze orange is not all that bright, rain and sun does that when you are out 60+ days a year.

In 1990 dollars it was less than 60 bucks.

Reilly Auld

Post by Reilly Auld » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:47 am

I had a simple Duxbak front loading vest that was the best I ever had. It was called the Plantation model. I bought it from Wilson Dunn.

After it was just about completely worn out I took it to a Chinese tailor and had him make an exact replica.

I can stick a handful of cartouches in it and a water bottle. A pair of hemostats when in porky country. It will hold 4 Kansas roosters.

It is light. Has buttons. AND NO BLAZE ORANGE! Retro is the way for me.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Cool looking vest, but I just don't carry that much with me, we don't hunt THAT far from the trucks.