Old dogs

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Old dogs

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:08 pm

I have an 11 year- old , female setter who has started peeing in the basement sometimes. Never done this before. Vet says no UTI , nothing obviously wrong.
For those of you who have had older dogs, does their warning system ( "I need to pee.") lessen as they age? We are often in the basement together as that is where my office/computer is.
It has of course been very hot here , and she has been drinking a lot more , but I don't see how that could be the reason. Any ideas?
( I had a 14 year old male who never had peeing problems in his old age.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Old dogs

Post by shags » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Not an unusual problem in older dogs, especially females, even more so if they're spayed. Ask your vet about Proin or DES.
They can work wonders for her.
My old girl isn't leaky enough for meds quite yet, but she can't hold it like she used to. Making sure she goes out more frequently, especially in this heat when she drinks more water, and crating her when I leave home for more than an hour or so has kept her accidents at a mininum.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:22 pm

A friends dog started doing the same thing and is old. It turned out to be diabetes and now gets insulin shots daily and no longer pee's in the house. Something to check.

John

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks very much for the suggestions.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:26 pm

shags wrote:Not an unusual problem in older dogs, especially females, even more so if they're spayed. Ask your vet about Proin or DES.
They can work wonders for her.
My old girl isn't leaky enough for meds quite yet, but she can't hold it like she used to. Making sure she goes out more frequently, especially in this heat when she drinks more water, and crating her when I leave home for more than an hour or so has kept her accidents at a mininum.

I had a 13 yo Gordon that had this problem. I do not remember what it was that the vet gave her, but it made a big difference.
Steve

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Use proin it works well for older female dogs
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:19 am

Gettin' to the age where I don't usually make it thru the night myself anymore!.. Lol!.. Usually let the dog out while I'm up too... :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln