Pheasant Hunting in Northern Texas

808allday

Post by 808allday » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Hey I live in lubbock,Tx now but I'm originally from california/hawaii and I miss pheasant hunting. I was wondering if the public land near me is even hunt-able and if so what the pheasant population looks like. Or better yet if some one would be willing to come let us hunt some private land or farm that would be amazing!

808allday

Re: Pheasant Hunting in Northern Texas

Post by 808allday » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:46 pm

Alright well I've done some research and I think I'm going to try to hunt some of the public land in Floyd County and North, would anyone be interested in getting a group together to go? I won't have a dog at that time so that would be a huge benefit

cbump

Post by cbump » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:10 am

I start at Tech this fall and will be in Lubbock for class end of December. Could probably bring my dog and try and go.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:20 pm

I have a few dogs I might be able to bring.. I'm only a couple hours south of there'.

808allday

Post by 808allday » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:33 pm

awesome! I'm going to go and check some of the places out when I get back from midland. I think I'll poke around up there come duck,quail,crane,goose,dove season. Man only in texas can you hunt all of those at once haha

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Fyi Panhandle pheasant hunting has been more than a little dissapointing the last few years.

Many panhandle towns host hunts to support the Chamber of commerce or a school program etc. Most charge about $100 and its generally the first weekend of season.

808allday

Post by 808allday » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Have you ever done one of those hunts? I wouldn't mind paying but if I can get the same level of hunting on public land for free I might be more inclined to do that. If all else fails I can just go visit family and go duck and pheasant hunting at the clubs there

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:24 am

i have, we've hunted with the Easter Lions Club for several years in a row, starting 6-7 years ago. We've had very good hunts in the past, but the drought has taken a toll on bird numbers the last few years, we did not go in 2012 due to continued dry weather and extremely low bird numbers 2011. Hopefully with more moisture this year the birds will rebound.

808allday

Post by 808allday » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:09 pm

man I don't want to jynx anythng but its been pouring rain like crazy since you made the comment about getting more moisture! There's even more coming in from the gulf soon, I hope it can continue

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:54 pm

808allday wrote:Alright well I've done some research and I think I'm going to try to hunt some of the public land in Floyd County and North, would anyone be interested in getting a group together to go? I won't have a dog at that time so that would be a huge benefit
Odds are the public land you are describing will have no pheasant. Almost all the pheasant in the Panhandle are going to be in fairly close proximity to a sorghum or corn field. If you have the food source nearby, one also should hunt dry playa lake beds.

DSemple

Post by DSemple » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:49 am

Use to do real well hunting corners in center pivot country northwest of Dalhart. A lot of Mennonites up there would give a guy permission if you can get in good with them.
I'm always happy when I make it thru another bird season with my dogs, my gun and my truck.

It's an added plus if I manage to keep my wife, my house or my job.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:17 am

I live in Texhoma. Half the town in Oklahoma and half in Texas in the panhandle and we have been getting good rain here this year but the quail and pheasant hunting is going to take awhile to come back due to the severe drought conditions we have had the last 3 or 4 years. Don't expect good bird numbers and bring some comfortable boots cause you are gonna walk to find what you can. I don't waterfowl hunt but I know due to the mild dry winters the goose population has been really good up here.

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:40 am

I would take DSemple's advice and introduce yourself to some landowners. I bet that landowners would take it easy on a couple college kids. Put Tech stickers all over your trucks and look for a farmhouse with a Tech flag flying on game day. Avoid the ones with Aggie flags! I'd also recommend joining your local PF chapter and trying to meet other local hunters. Having grown up hunting in Texas, I can tell you that you'll probably be very disappointed with the public land opportunities in Texas. Good luck!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:46 am

Most people up here are OU or OSU fans by the way. :wink:

808allday

Post by 808allday » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:55 am

sorry to revive an old message but I wanted to update everyone how season went. Turns out a friend of mines grandparents owns several hundred acres in hale center and near plainview. Without dog we easily spooked 20 or so just patrolling the field and I ended up with a pretty decent little rooster.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Awesome. Its good to hear there are still birds in the homeland. I scared the heck out of my wife when I freaked out when I saw a cock pheasant run across the road just south of Dalhart on my way through last year lol
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

808allday

Post by 808allday » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:51 pm

yeah also there have been reports of all back pheasant running around which I've never heard of. I don't know if they're a hybrid of what

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:14 am

808allday wrote:yeah also there have been reports of all back pheasant running around which I've never heard of. I don't know if they're a hybrid of what
Sounds a like a Melanistic Mutant pheasant.