WINGSHOOTING USA

Neil
GDF Junkie

WINGSHOOTING USA

Post by Neil » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:30 am

I am watching Scott's great show, now on DirecTV MAVTV, channel 214.

There are always things we could kimbitz, but it really is the best hunting show on TV. Even the commercials are informative.

The respect shown the game, the dogs, and the outdoors is unsurpassed. I loved when the guide stopped and picked up trash without comment or fanfare.

Good job Scott.

FirearmFan

Re: WINGSHOOTING USA

Post by FirearmFan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:39 am

I really like the show as well. I have my DVR set to record it whenever it is on. Great show Scott. Has there ever been an episode where he hunts with a Springer?? I'd love to see that. I've seen one where they used a field bred english cocker but never a springer.

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:10 pm

or VIZSLA!! :D

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:26 pm

I second the Vizsla plug - Surely Scott would want to hunt with the infamous Rooster Cogburn - youth QF dog of the year (well, he thinks so at least). Love the new book! Our QF team here in Missouri is sharing it around the group (but I'm thinkin' it would make nice anniversary presents for these new young biologists I work with!).

mask

Post by mask » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:49 pm

The shows I have seen didn't have the best dog work.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:28 pm

mask wrote:The shows I have seen didn't have the best dog work.
Part of the charm is it is real. The dogs and the hunters all have flaws, they are not Hollywood perfect.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:41 pm

Neil wrote:
Part of the charm is it is real. The dogs and the hunters all have flaws, they are not Hollywood perfect.
The hunters and dogs are having fun, and that is what it is about for me. I love watching the show
Last edited by ruffbritt4 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:45 pm

I love the show, it is one of my favorites. I have my DVR set so I don't miss an episode. Scott seems like a very genuine guy and he represents everything the sport should be about.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:38 am

Not a huge fan...... but I do record of and watch it. Every week, I get about half way through, before I can't watch any more flagging, creeping, game preserve dogs. I respect what you do Scott I just can't watch it.

Jim.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:51 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:Not a huge fan...... but I do record of and watch it. Every week, I get about half way through, before I can't watch any more flagging, creeping, game preserve dogs. I respect what you do Scott I just can't watch it.

Jim.
Never knew there was a game preserve dog. Over the years I have had and also seen just as many dogs that weren't well broke hunting native birds as I have on a game preserve. Dogs don't seem to care where they are when they decide to do something wrong.

Ezzy

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:40 am

Neil wrote:
^^^This^^^
Although I don't get Wingshooting USA up here in Canada, I will say, my favourite shows & videos to watch are real regular guys, rather than the canned, always shoot a limit, edit out anything that isn't perfect hunting shows. It's nice to watch a show or video that I can actually relate to.
The difference is all in the editing...

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:40 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:Not a huge fan...... but I do record of and watch it. Every week, I get about half way through, before I can't watch any more flagging, creeping, game preserve dogs. I respect what you do Scott I just can't watch it.

Jim.

Jim,

Please make your own video so we can see it done right; no bumping of birds, no flagging, and no creeping, all with in camera range on a real hunt on strange ground, not your training field. Please show us how it is done.

Neil

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:40 am

I like to watch the field work but it seems like most of the show is ads. Would like to see less talk and more bird work. Sure miss hunting with hank

redman25

Post by redman25 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Neil wrote:

Jim.

Jim,

Please make your own video so we can see it done right; no bumping of birds, no flagging, and no creeping, all with in camera range on a real hunt on strange ground, not your training field. Please show us how it is done.

Neil
Hahaha. Yeah, to each his own but it kills me to hear people throw off on other hunters and dogs due to their lack of perfection. It's easily my favorite hunting show, period. On yesterday's episode, Scott couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, the guide was on horseback and allowed his dogs to do the flushing, it was a bit of a cluster at times but lots of fun nonetheless!!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:39 pm

I never claimed to have flawless dogs........ then again I'm not making a living g off of them, and certainly dont showcase them on national television. Aside from that mine spend enough time under judgement y'alls opinion from behind the key board means as much to me as mine should to Mr Linden. Like I said in my first post I respect what he does. Just not my box of cookies

Jim

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:03 pm

I really enjoy the show. I've got a friend that was a cameraman for Mossy Oak for a couple of years. If anybody remembers those shows were all perfect. What most people don't realize is that it took about 3 days of footage to get enough edited material to make a show.

I think that's one reason I like the show, because its imperfect. If the worst thing that happens to me in a day is a dog bumps a bird or breaks, ill still call it a win:D

redman25

Post by redman25 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Tyler S wrote:I really enjoy the show. I've got a friend that was a cameraman for Mossy Oak for a couple of years. If anybody remembers those shows were all perfect. What most people don't realize is that it took about 3 days of footage to get enough edited material to make a show.

I think that's one reason I like the show, because its imperfect. If the worst thing that happens to me in a day is a dog bumps a bird or breaks, ill still call it a win:D
Exactly. I can barely watch any hunting shows anymore. Everything is so choreographed and God forbid you're able to see blood on a deer or a bad shot. Who ever thought overacting would be an issue in the hunting world? Any show that's real is fine by me.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:40 pm

Knowing Scott a little bit personally, but having seen very little of his actual show I will say that scott is a good guy, the kind of guy that is a lot of fun to be around the camp fire with. I'm sure his dogs would be a little better if they spent a few months with a pro instead of on the road with him non stop, but they are his buddies and they are nice dogs and its all him as a amateur trainer.....I actually have seen very little of his show....I never seem to catch his show, and I don't have dvr but knowing the guys I am sure it has more then a few mishaps and mistakes and some funny quips mixed in.....

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Regardless of that show's particulars, that appeal and not, It's nice that there is a break from the incessant and yammering televised focus on deer and deer shooting.

As well, viewing options re bird hunting are few....that there is a preoccupation with Preserves and Preserve-ish shooting areas is simply the way bills are paid and scenes deliver filmable action, I reckon....the constant line of gab must be necessary to tie events together.
Could be worse...could be Buck McNeely, Ted Nugent or Razor Dobbs on the screen.

mask

Post by mask » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Scott seems like a great person to me and one I would like to hunt with. The question was not about Scott but the show itself. If you like the show, watch it if you don't, don't. I know how I want my dogs to behave and don't really care how an other persons dog behaves. As long as it suits them it is fine by me.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:04 pm

mask wrote:Scott seems like a great person to me and one I would like to hunt with. The question was not about Scott but the show itself. If you like the show, watch it if you don't, don't. I know how I want my dogs to behave and don't really care how an other persons dog behaves. As long as it suits them it is fine by me.
As opinionated as I often am on here, it may shock some to know that I try to live by the above well said philosophy. I try to never say anything negative about another man's dog. Even when judging I can always find something to like.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

WINGSHOOTING USA

Post by ACooper » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:22 pm

I prefer it to the tournament hunting shows.... But American Gundog was the best IMO.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:19 pm

Scott Linden is the man. Every other TV hunting show host is a wannabe.

I like the relaxed, casual feel of it, and the way he seems to genuinely appreciate the whole hunting experience -- the dog work, the scenery, the camaraderie. It helps me remember that it's not just about filling the game bag every time out.
I'm getting really sick of the gimmicky, over-the-top deer shows.

I met Linden once at Pheasant Fest, and he's just as as gentlemanly in person as he is on the screen.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:46 am

I honestly can't recall scenes from the show, but I do recall the title. Lately, our cable provider has changed some sporting channels and I'm not sure I can get this show. I'm a fan of about any upland bird hunting show. There have been so few compared to the whitetail shows that I watch them when I can find them.

Thanks for making this show, Scott.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:17 pm

I dvr the show every week and no disrespect but it does seem that when it is a dog other that Buddy or Manny Scott seems to point out there wrongs even though his dogs do the same other that that I like the show and like that it is real dogs and real hunters be it on a preserve or the wilds we will keep watching it.

cmc274

WINGSHOOTING USA

Post by cmc274 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Better than the real housewives of xyz, but for the love of god FF those wirehairs.

atothek

Post by atothek » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:51 am

I don't get the channel :( but I do get to see some of the episodes on YouTube. I really enjoy the show

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:38 pm

I don't care to watch someone have to kick a bird to get it to fly....I do like the effort though. It cant be easy.

I'd rather watch an African big game hunting show.

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:01 pm

I agree that American gun dog was a better show,
But believe wingshooting is better than the flush.

Are the still making American gun dog?

Db

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:40 am

I watched it one time (for about 10 minutes). That was enough for me. It was just the other day and Scott was going on and on about how great these shorthairs were and how this kennel was a world reknown breeder. All I saw was a pair of shorthairs cat walking around on a preserve that didn't have manners at all. It just wasn't for me. In my opinion if you are going to go on TV and do a show with birddogs you should at least have some first hand knowledge of what a good one looks like. In my opinion Scott does not have such knowledge. The show was not good because of it. They're more worried about pumping the sponsors and the shotguns and all that garbage that serious dog men aren't concerned with. Just my opinion but the show is unwatchable.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:46 am

Saddle wrote:I watched it one time (for about 10 minutes). They're more worried about pumping the sponsors and the shotguns and all that garbage that serious dog men aren't concerned with. Just my opinion but the show is unwatchable.
Just out of curiosity I looked up Webley and Scott shotguns..... Dont tell me this show is directed at the "average sportsman"

Jim

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:57 am

I'm with you Jim. I would never put a dog on a TV show that looked like that with those manners. I'm also with you in that my dogs spend alot of time under someone elses judgement and are pretty successful at it. To each his own. Some people expect more out of dog then others.

Along your point Jimbo the average guys isn't travelling the country hunting at lodges all over the place either. The average guys saves his money all year for that one trip that he can afford to take somewhere and the rest of the season he hunts local ground or public ground wher he knows a covey or two hangs out or a where a few roosters might be.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:11 am

I have tried to get Scott convinced he should do a grouse hunt in the Great Lakes States...nothing planned yet. Would be nice to see that or a pheasant and waterfowl combo hunt with the same sets of dogs.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:42 am

Saddle wrote: They're more worried about pumping the sponsors and the shotguns and all that garbage that serious dog men aren't concerned with.
Unfortunately there is not a show geared toward serious dog men and never will be. It would be unwatchable for the weekend warriors that spend the huge majority of money supporting the sponsors these shows are plugging.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:49 am

I am not following? Weekend warriors don't like watching good dogs and good dog work?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:54 am

Winchey wrote:I am not following? Weekend warriors don't like watching good dogs and good dog work?
I am sure some do. BUT a large majority of bird dog owners don't care if the dog is broke if they let the hunter get close enough to get a shot that is good enough, they want to ohh and ahh when a dog points a pigeon in a bush. Field trialers, Hunt testers, and people who want a broke or even well mannered hunting dog are a very small minority of the already small population of the bird dog world.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:06 am

ACooper wrote:
Winchey wrote:I am not following? Weekend warriors don't like watching good dogs and good dog work?
I am sure some do. BUT a large majority of bird dog owners don't care if the dog is broke if they let the hunter get close enough to get a shot that is good enough, they want to ohh and ahh when a dog points a pigeon in a bush. Field trialers, Hunt testers, and people who want a broke or even well mannered hunting dog are a very small minority of the already small population of the bird dog world.
Andy,

Did you ever get a chance to check out the 2010 and 2009 season episodes of Bird Dogs Afield? Pretty cool stuff in those seasons, and I am glad they are up to watch anytime.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:11 am

millerms06 wrote: Did you ever get a chance to check out the 2010 and 2009 season episodes of Bird Dogs Afield? Pretty cool stuff in those seasons, and I am glad they are up to watch anytime.
No, but I actually just set a reminder on my phone to check them out.

My point in my prior posts is that many of us that are active here and other places are in it for the dogs and everything else is secondary. From most of what I see this is not the case with the general bird hunting public. If we were not the exception clubs would never struggle to fill up tests and trials...

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:39 am

That has been my experience as well AC, I did think they would still like to watch good dogs. You may be right though and that is supported by the very few people we have entering dogs in our gundog stakes (fun, unbroke hunting stakes) ever walk the braces other then their own or stick around to watch the derbies or shooting dogs.

I expressed in an earlier thread about having stopped watching it due to the preserve birds, but I really hate watching bird shows when the dog is just lumbering around a few feet from the handler, they look like some mutt out for a walk.

I would much prefer to see wild birds, but the dogs in the show usually hunt them pretty poorly as well, the dogs often seem to have very little drive and look like they are out for a walk.

I don't have exceptional dogs by any stretch of the imagination and I am not experienced by any stretch either, but when I watch a show and my dogs are better then almost all of them and the host seems to know less then me about dogs I have a problem with that.

Heck I will just go outside and work my own and give myself advice.

At least on bird dogs afield, despite having all the same problems as wingshooting USA, including the host, poor birds, poor guests, poor dogs, they do throw in a healthy amount of episodes of wild birds, good dogs and some people who know a lot about good bird dogs.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Winchey I think for the most part most people just care about how many birds they kill. They don't care about style in a dog they don't care about a dogs pattern they don't care about drive they don't care about any of that.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Neil wrote:

Jim.

Jim,

Neil
Saddle,

I am waiting for your video.

Neil

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Ask and you shall receive Neilio. This dog has multiple walking and horseback and a couple of all age placements. On a side note this is the young mans first ever wild quail kill. Pretty awesome in my book. Let me tell you something Neil. I get out there and get it done buddy. I work dogs more then most and I am successful more then most too Neil. I don't talk about things that I have no knowledge about. Click on the link and enjoy. The wife shut the camera off just as our BROKE field trial dog was headed out to retrieve that young mans bird to hand. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Neil.

http://s530.photobucket.com/user/Better ... 5.mp4.html

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:26 pm

I can go all day with this Neil. This is fun now brother. This is a pup named Rodney who is actually out of that bitch from the first video. Like mother like son I guess!!!! That pup was 16 weeks old in that video and was probably more staunch and well mannered then any of the dogs old Scott Linden has hunted over all season. :mrgreen:

http://s530.photobucket.com/user/Better ... 3.mp4.html
Last edited by Saddle on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:28 pm

ACooper wrote:
My point in my prior posts is that many of us that are active here and other places are in it for the dogs and everything else is secondary. From most of what I see this is not the case with the general bird hunting public. If we were not the exception clubs would never struggle to fill up tests and trials...
No doubt, totally agree with you.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:38 pm

I would like to know though where a guy could watch the winning champion runs in horseback field trials, or any trial for that matter? Has a club thought about producing such a thing? Outside of obtaining release waivers from both the host club and owner of the winning dog, what other limitations would there be?

I know I would watch that like nobody's business

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Brad Harter does a complete detailed video of every year's national championship run at ames. It's for sale every year for pretty reasonable too.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Saddle, those are both nice dogs in the videos.

It appears that Scott is making a sustainable living for now doing what he does. There are fanatical factions that would change any business model, sport, religion etc... to fit what their point of view tells them is best or right. Sometimes they are right and with the proper initiative and willingness to put up or shut up they rise to glory. Sometimes...and more often they go down in flames. The safer route is to be an analyst with no accountability, don't try and you remove the chance for failure.

Scott puts it out there by having a public forum and mediums like this are clearly happy to provide feedback. I am not suggesting that his show should be immune to criticism, but if we had investors willing to plunk down some dough and they wanted an advisory council; i am guessing he gets the nod before most of us. I don't watch the show unless it's by happenstance, and I train dogs differently than the dogs I see there...but I am not naive enough to believe that but a few of you gives a rat's fat derrière. I suspect he is reaching a target audience that is less vocal, and a better demographic than us detractors. Read their spend is enough for he and his advertiser's to care.

Aside from that, the production of wild bird hunts consistently in the west would be an absolute nightmare. Real chukar hunts with the production quality needed would be very expensive I suspect ... folks get paid for their time...
Joe

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:46 pm

No doubt Joe. I simply said I didn't enjoy the show. I'm not saying he needs to change it for my benefit at all. I do what I do, he does what he does. If he's happy like me then that's all that matters.

The problem with wild bird shows is the unpredictability of the birds. I know that as do most but even a pen raised bird show can be done better then what Scott does it. JMO. That's all.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Saddle wrote:Brad Harter does a complete detailed video of every year's national championship run at ames. It's for sale every year for pretty reasonable too.
Link please...really interested!

Oh I think I just found it:

http://pleasanthillproductions.com/

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Get it and watch it miller you'll love it