WINGSHOOTING USA

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: WINGSHOOTING USA

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Saddle,

Nice dogs, no doubt.

But your video is what it is, an amateur attempt at shooting staged action in the backyard, no sponsors would pay for that footage. I said in the opening post Scott's show has flaws, it is just better than most.

May I please have the registered name of your dog in the video? I would like to check the win record you keep bragging on.

I will never understand your arrogance while not using your real name.

Neil Mace

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:53 pm

I get it Neal you love Scott and his show I don't that's all.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Saddle wrote:I get it Neal you love Scott and his show I don't that's all.
I did say please.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Wow. Neal calls him to the carpet and all of a sudden the "I can do this all day buddy" attitude disappears.

Guess I will throw in my opinion on the show. I enjoy it when I happen to come across it channel surfing, which isn't very often unfortunately. Why do I like it? Because I like to bird hunt, plain and simple. Good dogs, bad dogs, wild birds or pen raised I DON'T CARE. I enjoy hunting with my dog and my freinds, and that is what I see on the show.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:17 am

You are right.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:34 pm

dog dr wrote:
Wow. Neal calls him to the carpet and all of a sudden the "I can do this all day buddy" attitude disappears.

Guess I will throw in my opinion on the show. I enjoy it when I happen to come across it channel surfing, which isn't very often unfortunately. Why do I like it? Because I like to bird hunt, plain and simple. Good dogs, bad dogs, wild birds or pen raised I DON'T CARE. .

Is it really hunting if you have to kick a bird to get it to fly? I think not. I'm not saying that every show is like that, because it isn't....but how in the world did that make the show?????

I really liked American Gundog Tv, wish Harley Jackson would start doing it again.

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:49 pm

I don't like all the plugs for the products but that is part of doing a show someone has to pay for it. The bird work is alright I mean how many times can you get wild birds on film so preserve birds are almost a must to get shows on film. Let's face facts if we go to a preserve some birds don't fly real well and some will leave the county when they get up. Another thing is my dogs are not perfect so I don't expect anyone else's dogs to be perfect every time they turn loose. I mean the program is helping introduce people to upland hunting so I'm all for it. It is a nice change to see upland hunting on TV instead of big game shows

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:41 pm

He asked me for a video and I came through x2 for that matter. Those two dogs are more mannerly then anything on Scott's show and one is a 16 week old pup. The show just isn't for me. Why can't that be ok.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Saddle wrote:He asked me for a video and I came through x2 for that matter. Those two dogs are more mannerly then anything on Scott's show and one is a 16 week old pup. The show just isn't for me. Why can't that be ok.
It would be fine if you could just keep your mouth shut and your fingers off of the keyboard till you are able to have an intelligent conversation without telling us how great you and yours are and how little the rest of us know. Hate to be so blunt but anything less seems to go right over your head.

Ezzy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Thank you Ezzy.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:11 am

Watching another episode, this time DirecTV Channel 606 PRST Pursuit Channel. This is good stuff.

Now all my adult dogs are staunch and steady, but that is just the way I train. And they have been FFed. Scott does not seem to value those attributes, but then neither do a lot of hard core hunters. Larry Brown, noted author, has long maintained that none of that contributes to an effective hunting dog. He wants his dogs to creep and break to retrieve at the shot, and once opined a dog that pointed dead was acceptable.

And Scott just advised against a pointing Lab! That is a brave stand that I don't share.

The point others have made, he and the dogs are having fun. Perhaps I could learn from that, I might be taking this dog training stuff way too seriously. What difference does it make? Naw, I am not changing, too old, but I think I am beginning to understand not everyone wants to invest the time in training to a finished standard. Honestly, I think a couple months of intensified training would bring a dog dog to an acceptable hunting level, instead of the years I spend.

Neil

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:31 am

Well, the show is certainly getting a peck of publicity and most will acknowledge that there is no such thing as bad publicity.
Perhaps, that was the original intent here.
When terms like "best" and "unsurpassed" are the adjectives on begins to wonder....constant defense as well raises a reddish and fluttering flag.

I earlier gave my opinion on the show's value from my perspective but best would never be uttered and I would happily watch Bing & Phil on the old American Sportsman as a first choice were it available...X100.
More sad that it isn't.
I would not watch it for the dog work and certainly not for the past fork-ready respect to game of Wingshooting USA(plug #83) or any hope for trash-picking guides...I would watch it for the connection of two fellas with dogs and birds as the stage.
Along the way of my 61 years, those AS episodes gave more, to me, re placement of true value afield, with all the players that are always involved, than any "informative commercials ( :roll: good grief) of any show on the screen today.
The American Sportsman was a Best in the best way.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:33 am

Saddle wrote:He asked me for a video and I came through x2 for that matter. Those two dogs are more mannerly then anything on Scott's show and one is a 16 week old pup. The show just isn't for me. Why can't that be ok.
he also asked for the registered name of the dog that has done so much winning. that should be easier to supply than the videos but so far it hasn't been provided.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:37 am

JWP58 wrote:
dog dr wrote:

Guess I will throw in my opinion on the show. I enjoy it when I happen to come across it channel surfing, which isn't very often unfortunately. Why do I like it? Because I like to bird hunt, plain and simple. Good dogs, bad dogs, wild birds or pen raised I DON'T CARE. .

Is it really hunting if you have to kick a bird to get it to fly? I think not. I'm not saying that every show is like that, because it isn't....but how in the world did that make the show?????

I really liked American Gundog Tv, wish Harley Jackson would start doing it again.

I agree - having to kick the birds up isn't nearly as much fun as when they surprise you and fly on their own. But the dogs still have to find them, which I enjoy more than anything, AND I still have to be able to make the shot (even if it is like shooting clay pigeons!).

MIKKEN

Post by MIKKEN » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:50 pm

I've watched the show for 16 mos or so, from an over -the-air station, M-F. This summer has "new" shows, but so far seems only 5 different. The previous "earlier" shows #'d about 20,& were re-ran over & over & over . . . One view of several about the show is that Scott doesn't always practice what he preaches. Another- he & his dogs are "normal" everyday hunters with faults, & any hunt can have unexpected events, which get shown so we all can relate. EXCEPT-- I can't relate to, or afford a new truck/dog trailer rig w/many fancy do-dads; & guns worth most of a month's pay; or clothes from the most expensive mfrs; or hunt @ clubs that charge a week's pay per night, etc. That said, my dogs are PERFECT, & I NEVER miss,- when no one else is around. And WHY, when EVERYONE ELSE in the party are wearing blaze orange hats & vests, etc., is he exempt from common sense & safety, & wears earth tone colors in earth tone settings!?!? Then speaks of safety, setting examples, & "take a kid hunting". But there is almost always a lesson to learn, so I'll keep watching.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Saddle wrote:Winchey I think for the most part most people just care about how many birds they kill. They don't care about style in a dog they don't care about a dogs pattern they don't care about drive they don't care about any of that.
I don't have cable, so I don't watch any of the shows, but I think this post is spot on. Most hunters have no concept of good dog work, or any desire to do much of anything but kill birds. Thus the droves of people leaving quail hunting for waterfowl. You can kill more birds.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:19 pm

displaced_texan wrote:
Saddle wrote:Winchey I think for the most part most people just care about how many birds they kill. They don't care about style in a dog they don't care about a dogs pattern they don't care about drive they don't care about any of that.
I don't have cable, so I don't watch any of the shows, but I think this post is spot on. Most hunters have no concept of good dog work, or any desire to do much of anything but kill birds. Thus the droves of people leaving quail hunting for waterfowl. You can kill more birds.
And it's easier to sit in a blind than to walk!

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:39 am

Depends. Some of my duck hunts you're out at 4, boating in 30 degrees, then a shitty 30 minute walk through jungle in waders and 80lbs of gear, then getting the dekes out and building a blind. It can be pretty rough.

That said I won't duck hunt without a dog, just not fun, If I don't get to see a dog retrieve it I don't care to kill it.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:43 am

And some of the best dog work I have seen on TV were on the duck hunting shows in green timber.