Puppy tooth

RYNO

Puppy tooth

Post by RYNO » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 pm

My 6-1/2 MO setter pup still has one canine puppy tooth left. The opposite side dropped a solid 6 weeks ago if not longer. The adult teeth mate up fine, just the one "extra" tooth. Will this cause any issues to be concerned with? Everything else looks fine.

dog dr

Re: Puppy tooth

Post by dog dr » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:46 am

Could cause issues long term but give him some more time to lose it. And lots of stuff to chew on!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Yep. Get him chewing on lots of stuff! Some dogs are not chewers. There is this bone by pedigree called chewnola. Never had a medium or larger breed dog not chew on them.

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:22 pm

She's got lot's of chew toys and works them all over pretty good. Femer bones, nylabones, rawhides, rope, kongs, sticks, almost anything left within reach.... :lol:

Dog dr, what could be the long term issues? Tooth decay between the two canines I'd assume? Anything else?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:20 pm

It can push the teeth out of line and that will effect her bite. Check and see if you can wiggle it before the other teeth lock it in. One a the worse elements is it tends to be hereditary and she shouldn't be bred if it doesn't get pushed out soon. It is a minor job to pull normally and I think I would have it done before it causes problems

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:44 am

ezzy333 wrote: One a the worse elements is it tends to be hereditary and she shouldn't be bred if it doesn't get pushed out soon.
Ezzy
"Non-loss" of a puppy canine tooth is hereditary ?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:09 am

Yep, back years ago when I first got into Britts one of my best females had to be taken out of the breeding pool because of the mouth and teeth problems her pups always had. Have seen it many times since.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:40 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Yep, back years ago when I first got into Britts one of my best females had to be taken out of the breeding pool because of the mouth and teeth problems her pups always had. Have seen it many times since.

Ezzy
Big difference between "mouth and teeth problems" and retaining a puppy canine tooth.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Yep, back years ago when I first got into Britts one of my best females had to be taken out of the breeding pool because of the mouth and teeth problems her pups always had. Have seen it many times since.

Ezzy
Big difference between "mouth and teeth problems" and retaining a puppy canine tooth.
Retaining the baby canine teeth was the problem

Ezzy

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 pm

ezzy333 wrote: Big difference between "mouth and teeth problems" and retaining a puppy canine tooth.
Retaining the baby canine teeth was the problem

Ezzy[/quote]

"Teeth" is the operative word here.
Retaining ONE puppy canine tooth (as far as I can find out) is not a genetic problem.

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:17 pm

It finally dropped either yesterday or today. I finally noticed a tiny bit of movement in it last week somtime.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:56 pm

RYNO wrote:It finally dropped either yesterday or today. I finally noticed a tiny bit of movement in it last week somtime.
GOSH -- Wonder if ezzy still thinks it was genetic ? :roll:

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
RYNO wrote:It finally dropped either yesterday or today. I finally noticed a tiny bit of movement in it last week somtime.
GOSH -- Wonder if ezzy still thinks it was genetic ? :roll:
He's never wrong...

I've seen dogs just take forever to loose all their teeth, I've always assumed it's just like people. My sister is 25 and still has one baby tooth, the adult tooth just never came in, I guess we should get her spayed too.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...