hunting southeast nebraska

jeff shumaker

hunting southeast nebraska

Post by jeff shumaker » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Anybody from southeast nebtraska got a report on the pheasant and quial this year. I have seen a few but was wondering what others have been seeing. Thanks

markj
GDF Junkie

Re: hunting southeast nebraska

Post by markj » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:21 pm

Used to hunt around indian cave and south to auburn. Need to run down and see the guys and find out what it looks like.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:38 pm

There's probably some pockets of birds around but I wouldn't expect to see many roosters in SE Nebraska. Heading for southwest Neb. would be a better bet. That's what I keep hearing anyway. I haven't been in that part of the state for a while, hope to go this season.

Last year or so I've seen probably 40-50 phez total, all but maybe 7 were within a 3 mile radius on the same day. (while deer hunting of course :roll: )

Theres some quail around, if you find more than a covey or two be happy.

jeff shumaker

Post by jeff shumaker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:49 pm

I went out early right at sun up this morning to one of my hunny holes and my 2 dogs found 2 coveys of quial and 7 pheasants and we only where in there for 30 mins was to hot. Then went by another spot I hunt and seen some young pheasants sitting on a haybail. And some quial on the roads. A lot of farmers have said the quial have made a good come back. I think this year will be good. Keep me posted on how you do. And good luck. If you make it down this way should give me a call. Got a few good spots.

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 am

RYNO wrote:Heading for southwest Neb. would be a better bet
x2

I havent been SE this year, but last year was terrible. There are definitely birds, but not lots of cover, and if you dont find them it could be a long day. I'd say head West

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:40 am

I am in Extreme NE KS, only about 15 miles from NE at most and last night I went for a drive for about an hour and spotted 3 coveys, and 6 singles while driving the dirt roads. Should be a GREAT year barring any natural disasters. :D
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:05 am

OK so I am thinking we should all meet up and go on a hunt. I kinda like that area, used to get into a lot of quail which I really like.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:07 am

No problem. Give me a call come November.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:51 pm

I hunted out of Courtland, Clatonia area for 12 years but have not been the last 2. A hail storm went right thru that area 2 years ago and all the crp went to crops that same year. They were very few birds according to the farmers we know. We only saw 1 group of hunters in 12 years so I know it hasn't been over hunted , just all the cover and fence rows are gone now. I was hoping things may change as I would love to go back there.

jeff shumaker

Post by jeff shumaker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm

I hunt a spot 3 miles east of cortland and a mile back south. A hole section of crp it has 2 coveys of quial and 20 pheasants on it at least. And 2 draws right off the hwy 77 north of cortland they hold quial and the cocktail s holds some pheasants when cold. I hunt a lot more south of beatrice and over by Lewiston seen good numbers this year.if you get down this way have to get together.

birdhunter68

Post by birdhunter68 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:47 pm

All this talk about south eastern NE really brings some good memories.

I grew up in Omaha back in the late 70's and 80's.....went to Central High and UNL for several years before my family relocated to Kentucky.....my dad and I spent many great days chasing birds all around that area. Courtland, DeWitt, Auburn, Pawnee city and so on.....birds were plentiful and most every farmer would allow hunting if you asked and were respectful of their land. Quail were very common and I recall moving many coveys while hunting pheasants. We had a lab in those days so all the quail were flushed. I now have a small gagle of setters and love to watch them work.

There was an old farmstead near Dewitt that was abandoned and covered with warm season grasses and plum thickets.
Dad had permission to hunt the place we called it the "cattle pen" as there was a large feed lot area overgrown with weedy cover. One day we hunted it with several friends and I remember hundreds of pheasants flushing from that heavy cover...
I was probably 16 or 17 at the time.....and had never seen that many birds flush before......

We hunted other parts of Nebraska as well, but that area around Beatrice was special!

I would love to visit again sometime and run my setters in some of those fields....

Thanks for allowing me to share.....

GBR!

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Anyone in the SW part of NE?
I'll be heading out to the Ogallala area the first weekend in Nov and just wondering what I should expect.

jeff shumaker

Post by jeff shumaker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Better then past years. Pheasant numbers are better. The quial have really came back. Have seen lots of coveys. What part will you be hunting around. I am from Beatrice ne.

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:38 am

I would have to disagree with Jeff, as I think numbers are still way down from prior years...although SW is definitely your best bet. From the Nebraska 2013 Upland Game Hunting Outlook:

The severe drought of 2012 continues to impact pheasant populations statewide, mostly through habitat reductions
caused by stunted vegetation growth and emergency haying and grazing. Much of the state remains in some category of
drought, and the USDA has again authorized emergency haying and grazing of CRP land in 54 of Nebraska’s 93 counties (see
http://www.fsa.usda.gov/ne for the latest information, including a map of the affected counties). April and July Rural Mail Carrier
Survey data indicated that pheasant populations are mostly lower compared to 2012 (see reverse). Based on these surveys,
the Southwest and Panhandle will again offer the best opportunities. Early and mid-summer rains produced abundant broodrearing
habitat. In the Southwest, abundance should be better than in 2012, but still lower than found in previous years.
Hunters should be advised that hunting wheat and milo stubble may offer hunting opportunities this year. Over 20,000 acres
of mostly wheat have been enrolled in the Open Fields and Waters program in South-central, Southwest, and Panhandle
regions, listed in the online version of the Public Lands Atlas: http://www.outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunti ... /atlas.asp.
At the time of forecast preparation, few broods have been observed by field staff; however, a late spring seems to have
delayed breeding this year, which might account somewhat for the lack of broods. The overall consensus among staff is for a
below average season, with some regional optimism related to the outcome of this year’s delayed production. Habitat loss in
the eastern counties continues to be a concern. Hunters are again advised to scout areas prior to hunting to make certain
areas are still available.

tdbmd

Post by tdbmd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Had a buddy who was hunting down around McCook for birds and they had decent luck. I don't know how many they got over the weekend, but enough to keep the dogs interested, at least.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25 am

Nebraska is releasing a whole lota birds at several places before thanksgiving. Branched Oaks is one. Might take the boy out and hunt a bit.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:08 pm

LINCOLN - Several hundred pheasants will be released by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission at each of nine wildlife management areas (WMA) before Thanksgiving. These releases will provide additional opportunities for hunters and their families during the holiday weekend.

The adult roosters will be released at the same WMAs where pheasants were released for the special youth hunt Oct. 19-20: Pressey (Custer County); Sherman Reservoir (Sherman County); Oak Valley (Madison County); Branched Oak (Lancaster County); Twin Oaks (Johnson County); Hickory Ridge (Johnson County); Wilkinson (Platte County); Peru Bottoms (Nemaha County) and Yankee Hill (Lancaster County).

The pheasant season runs through Jan. 31. Permits, including the nonresident two-day hunt permit, may be purchased at http://www.OutdoorNebraska.org.

Many of these places, especially BO, get pounded by hunters during the season. There is a lot of public & CRP-walk in access down around Johnson county

MurphysLaw

Post by MurphysLaw » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:53 pm

I spent opening weekend hunting around McCook. This was my 5th or 6th trip out there. Every trip gets worse than the last. This last trip, we had a group of 8 guys (4 permanent blockers), and only 2 dogs. We saw maybe 8-10 hens and 3 roosters (bagged all 3). However, this was the first time we've got on a covey of quail out west, so that helped our attitude. But overall, the numbers weren't what they were the first time I went out there 5 years ago. The drought has kept the grasses real thin.

I live in Waverly and mostly hunt and train on public areas in the county, mostly around Branched Oak. The quail numbers in Lancaster county are coming back, but the pheasants have been few and far between. I've averaged about 1 covey of quail for every 1 to 2 hours of hunting.

I haven't had a chance yet this season, but I usually try to hunt around my hometown of Fairbury a few times per season. Its been a number of years since I've seen any good pheasant numbers there. But again, the quail are coming back there too. Last year, we found 3 pretty decent covey's on a 160 acre piece of ground bordering the little blue river. As soon as the crazy rifle hunters have all their deer in the freezer, my GSP and I will be making a couple trips there to chase around some bobwhites.

jeff shumaker

Post by jeff shumaker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:35 pm

I have been out every weekend the pheasants are hit and miss but the quial are all over. Have only walked one spot this year where I have not found a covey or two. I have shot my limit the last 3 times out. Today dad went by Panama up by Lincoln got into 3 coveys.