How to train puppy not to pee in crate

dasfzero

How to train puppy not to pee in crate

Post by dasfzero » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:52 pm

Hey everyone. I picked up my new gsp puppy from Hoosier Boys Kennel a few weeks ago. He is now 10 weeks old and has been doing a great job getting house broken. I have a bell on the door he rings whenever he needs to go out. Its been almost two weeks since he has gone in the house. Dexter is very good about letting us know when he needs to go out. I couldnt be happier with his progress here. On the flip side he cant make it thru one night with out peeing in his crate.

What can I do to help him learn not to do this?

I do my best to not keep him in the crate for to long. On the weekends I get up at my usual time to let him out and during the week I am able to come home at lunch and let him out of the crate for 45 min before I have to go back to work (its really nice only working 5 miles away!)

Any other tips you want to offer for training would be very helpful. This is my first puppy!

I ordered the book "How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves". It should be here any day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PistolEd

Re: How to train puppy not to pee in crate

Post by PistolEd » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:13 am

His crate may be too big. I read on here if they have too much space they will do that, so we got a crate with an adjustable panel that we can move as he grows.

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:48 am

we try to get the pup out about every 2 - 3 hours at that age and I know that some times that cant be done. another thing that comes to mind is how big is his crate? if it is a bigger crate you may need to block some of it off until pup gets a little older.
I will take the dog and not the gun but never the gun without the dog !

oilcan

Post by oilcan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:13 am

That's a great looking Pup

zburgess

Post by zburgess » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 am

I just posted another topic about this without seeing this one. I am having the same problem except my pup is 5 months old. Every other aspect of my pup is great.

zburgess

Post by zburgess » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:35 am

I have been having the same problem with my pup. However, my puppy is 5 months old. He had a urinary tract infection when he first came home with me. I don't know how to handle him peeing in his crate. I know it is getting old!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:49 am

I take mine out out every 30 minutes for two weeks. (retired) . Yes it's a drag , but after that the habit is instilled. I also have a dog door. Every time they pee in the crate/house a wrong habit is being reinforced.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:27 am

dasfzero wrote:Hey everyone. I picked up my new gsp puppy from Hoosier Boys Kennel a few weeks ago. He is now 10 weeks old and has been doing a great job getting house broken. I have a bell on the door he rings whenever he needs to go out. Its been almost two weeks since he has gone in the house. Dexter is very good about letting us know when he needs to go out. I couldnt be happier with his progress here. On the flip side he cant make it thru one night with out peeing in his crate.

What can I do to help him learn not to do this?

I do my best to not keep him in the crate for to long. On the weekends I get up at my usual time to let him out and during the week I am able to come home at lunch and let him out of the crate for 45 min before I have to go back to work (its really nice only working 5 miles away!)

Any other tips you want to offer for training would be very helpful. This is my first puppy!

I ordered the book "How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves". It should be here any day.
A few things:
Ten weeks is too young for a dog to be able to hold it through the night. You need to take him out every few hours. How long is his longest time during the day without incident? You may find it useful to keep a log of when he needs to go out, how often, and when accidents occur. This helps you determine when he may need to go out more often and other factors affecting his elimination habits.

Where is the crate located? If at night you are crating him away from where you can hear him asking to go out (whining, barking, whatever) then you are setting him up to fail. Because he may be telling you when he needs to go out, but you can't hear him.

How large is the crate? It should be large enough for him to turn around in, but not much more. Otherwise there is space for him to go in the crate then retreat into a dry area.

FWIW,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:12 pm

^^^Nailed it. Diligence and patience.

dasfzero

Post by dasfzero » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:05 am

I have him in a large crate BUT I do have a divider in it and he has just enough room to turn around and lay down.
The longest he is in the crate is 6 hrs and thats the best we can do with work.

I have his crate on the first floor in the living room. Bedrooms are on the 2nd floor. If I hear him at night Ill let him out but since he has gotten use to being alone he really doesnt howl while in his cage.

The longest he goes with out wanting to go out is 1.5-2hrs. Usually its every hour. I have a bell on the door that he hits when he wants to go out. When he is not in the cage he is VERY good about letting us know when he needs to go out. Besides his wetting the crate I would consider him house broken but I cannot trust him until he consistently last through the night.

At what age should they be able to hold it any not wet over night or while we are at work?

Thanks for all the responses!

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:44 am

SubMariner wrote:
A few things:
Ten weeks is too young for a dog to be able to hold it through the night. You need to take him out every few hours. How long is his longest time during the day without incident? You may find it useful to keep a log of when he needs to go out, how often, and when accidents occur. This helps you determine when he may need to go out more often and other factors affecting his elimination habits.

Where is the crate located? If at night you are crating him away from where you can hear him asking to go out (whining, barking, whatever) then you are setting him up to fail. Because he may be telling you when he needs to go out, but you can't hear him.

How large is the crate? It should be large enough for him to turn around in, but not much more. Otherwise there is space for him to go in the crate then retreat into a dry area.

FWIW,
Bingo! You need to have the crate near where you sleep so you can hear him whine. His bladder is still too small to expect him to go overnight without needing to urinate. Your sleep will need to be interrupted in order to let pup out. It's really that simple. By the time he's 12-13 weeks old, he may be able to hold it.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:49 am

Small crate no blanket in it.

I heard this advice from my breeder, basically you put them in a small enough crate they cant pee in the corner and get away from it, and you dont put something absorbent in it where they can pee on the blanket and push it into the corner.

They dont want to lay in it anymore than you or I.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:26 am

Sounds like he needs to go out at least once or twice during the night. Set your alarm and let him out if you can't let him sleep close enough to you to hear him waking up and asking to go out. My pup is 12 weeks old this week and he has had one accident in the house, none in the crate. His crate is next to our bed. He makes a bit of a fuss when he wakes in the night (usually about 2am) - I take him out and then when he's finished, he goes right back in the crate and is good to go until 6am.

As for keeping a dog in the crate for over 2-3 hours during the day - I'd make a change on that deal so you're more closely following that advice. If that means you take him to work with you in his crate and he stays in the car (temperatures have to be o.k. and it has to be a safe area) then I'd do it. Heck - I do it now. My pup is totally crate trained but has spent at least 6 days traveling with me in the truck when I had to be away from the house more than 4 hours - he just goes in the crate with me and then I can take him out at breaks and at lunchtime. That's one reason I prefer to have winter puppies.

Every single accident he has in his crate makes him more likely to have more. You're letting him get away with an unwanted behavior (not because he's being a bad pup but because it's not convenient for you to let him out). He physically can't hold it yet - so you need to make it a priority to let him out when he needs to go. Making him wait can cause a UTI and certainly causes bad kennel manners and it gets him used to being dirty in his crate. It may

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:04 am

Half as many hours as age in weeks.
10 weeks = 5 hours
12 weeks = 6 hours
14 weeks = 7 hours
etc

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:46 am

I've never found that to work.
"The longest he is in the crate is 6 hrs. and that's the best we can do with work." quote
Very hard to house train a pup when both folks work. Can a neighbor come in more often?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:56 pm

Where we live, the winters are brutal for a pup that needs housebreaking. The first time we had a winter pup, we figured out that the normal stuff wasn't going to work. I had an exercise pen, so we moved it into the kitchen and papered the floor area with newspaper. We put the crate into the ex pen, and left the crate door OPEN. At night, and during the day, the pup could leave the crate where she was napping, and pee on the paper. Voila, clean crate and happy pup. I slept all night, and cleaned up the papers in the morning.

As the pup got older, the ex pen door was left open, and when the pup needed to pee she would beetle back to the ex pen and use the papers. Young pup just can't pee or poop outside at 40 below. I think we used this protocol for 3 pups, and none of them woke us up at night or peed in the crate. Also, none of them had trouble making the transfer to peeing outside as they got older.

I understand that weather is not the issue with the OP's pup, but maybe the ex pen set up would work for this situation. Good luck with your pup.