Finally got a bird dog

Rakoprtr

Finally got a bird dog

Post by Rakoprtr » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:23 pm

Got a started German shorthair lab hybrid he's birdy and seems to do good on an ecollar the people I got him from said they couldn't give him the attention he needed he seems to be a decent dog he's a little over a year old gonna start with him tonight and hopefully be able to put him on some birds in a few weeks after the move

I'll try to post pics in a bit

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Finally got a bird dog

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Congrats! and have fun!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Is it a pointing dog or flushing dog?

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:20 pm

According to the previous owner he points and will hold he held good today while I was working with the bumpers so I guess we'll see here's some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Bumpers have nothing to do with pointing so I'm confused & think maybe you are too.What are you planning to hunt with the dog & do you him expect to point or flush or does it make a difference??

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:30 pm

Sorry got my wording messed up yes acoording to the prior owner he points not flush when I was talking about holding I was just bragging that he would hold until released before the retrieve wth the bumpers something my hound doesn't do yet sorry bout the mix up lol this is my first dog for hunting upland I've alwas gone with people that had dogs I have had labs for waterfowl and hounds for rabbits but never a dog for birds planing on pheasant mostly and prolly take him on my waterfowl hunts as we'll
Last edited by Rakoprtr on Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Rakoprtr wrote:he held good today while I was working with the bumpers
Pointing bumpers :?: ......... :roll:

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
Rakoprtr wrote:he held good today while I was working with the bumpers
Pointing bumpers :?: ......... :roll:
Haha yes I'm an idiot lol see post above urs

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:04 am

Nice looking dog. I know a guy that owns a lab/GSP mix, looks exactly like your dog but with a docked tail. Some guy in our area intentionally breeds his labs and shorthairs together, not sure I agree with that but I guess they produce some good meat dogs and he only charges $75.

I'm sure you'll catch some flak on here for calling the dog a "hybrid" since its essentially a mutt but a good dog is a good dog. I currently own a mutt (GSP/Springer) and I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.

Here's "T" with his first grouse. The dog above I was talking about. He's a lab/shorthair mix. He points. Most people think he's a pure bred shorthair, especially since he has a docked tail but he has a few features that seem more like a lab than a GSP.

Anyway, bottom line, get out and enjoy your dog. Happy hunting!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:25 am

Don't let the people on here intimidate you, some are kinda stuck on themselves. I have seen many dogs point bumpers and have seen it work quite well on for training steady until sent to retrieve. All of my dogs start retrieving bumpers when they are puppies and learn to be steady until sent to retrieve on bumpers. Beats sight pointing a wing on a string.
Have fun with the dog some of the best pheasant dogs I have seen have been crossbred dogs..................Cj

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:05 am

Congrats! Enjoy the pup!

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:22 am

The only reason I use the word hybrid is apperntly that's what they are I thought the same thing is that he's a mutt but I googled it it and apperntly people breed them together on purpose and they go for decent money I don't know why but they do anyway he's doing good needs to figure out when it's not playtime but overall Doing good looks like he's gonna be a great edition to our family

atothek

Post by atothek » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:46 am

Congrats on the pup, he looks great

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:17 am

He looks like he'll be a lot of fun. I bet he's going to provide you with a ton of good memories.

A hybrid is a pairing of different species, not same species mixes (ie, a wolf and a dog is a hybrid, a horse and a donkey is a hybrid). Two different breeds of dogs can't produce a "hybrid." Dog on dog = dog, not hybrid. It's just a buzzword for people that are trying to make the animal sound "unique" and "expensive."

Your dog, much like one I currently own, and two I've owned in the past, is a good old American mutt. Nothing wrong with that - but I wish people would call a spade a spade - not a labradoodle or a cockapoo or a germador (yep, a guy down south raises GSPXlabs and calls them germadors). Like there aren't enough purebred dogs out there in the shelters, we've got to create "hybrids." Crazy world!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:20 pm

Rakoprtr wrote:The only reason I use the word hybrid is apperntly that's what they are I thought the same thing is that he's a mutt but I googled it it and apperntly people breed them together on purpose and they go for decent money I don't know why but they do anyway he's doing good needs to figure out when it's not playtime but overall Doing good looks like he's gonna be a great edition to our family
'The telling word is, they go for good money. If he does his own tails and dew claws, cost nothing. If he gives his own shots, cost about $7.50 per pup for a shot at eight weeks. I started shots at 6 weeks. If he owns the sire and dame, no stud fee. 8 pup's times $75 is $600. 8n shot's times $7.50 is $60 dollars. Thats a profit of $540 for doing absloutely nothing! I have an older brother that did this with springer's years ago. He had a nice little AKC reg female and a mix breed male. Every time the female came into season for 10 yrs, she got bred. He kept her chained to a house in the back and I don't know of one time she was ever let loose. The male was his buddy, he claimed it was something like 3/4 pure springer. Puppies were sold as 7/8 pure springer's. Tails and dew claws were not done. Got $35 a piece and sold them as fast as he could produce them. Said he felt bad about the female but there was nothing he could do about it; BS!

The more people guy's like this can find to buy puppy's the more they will produce!

How you enjoy your dog anyway, it's not the dogs fault this happened.

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:08 pm

DonF wrote:
Rakoprtr wrote:The only reason I use the word hybrid is apperntly that's what they are I thought the same thing is that he's a mutt but I googled it it and apperntly people breed them together on purpose and they go for decent money I don't know why but they do anyway he's doing good needs to figure out when it's not playtime but overall Doing good looks like he's gonna be a great edition to our family
'The telling word is, they go for good money. If he does his own tails and dew claws, cost nothing. If he gives his own shots, cost about $7.50 per pup for a shot at eight weeks. I started shots at 6 weeks. If he owns the sire and dame, no stud fee. 8 pup's times $75 is $600. 8n shot's times $7.50 is $60 dollars. Thats a profit of $540 for doing absloutely nothing! I have an older brother that did this with springer's years ago. He had a nice little AKC reg female and a mix breed male. Every time the female came into season for 10 yrs, she got bred. He kept her chained to a house in the back and I don't know of one time she was ever let loose. The male was his buddy, he claimed it was something like 3/4 pure springer. Puppies were sold as 7/8 pure springer's. Tails and dew claws were not done. Got $35 a piece and sold them as fast as he could produce them. Said he felt bad about the female but there was nothing he could do about it; BS!

The more people guy's like this can find to buy puppy's the more they will produce!

How you enjoy your dog anyway, it's not the dogs fault this happened.
We'll if u must know we paid nothing for him his family didn't have time for him anymore and couldn't train him and was abusing him because he wouldn't listen so they posted him for few or they were gonna take him to the shelter I couldn't let a perfectly good dog that just needed some work get killed know I don't rescue every dog if see on cl or on the stree but I have a soft spot for hunting breeds

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Well I certainly hope he works out for you! I love shorthairs and Labs. Best of both worlds, hope the right trait's come out for you.

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:54 pm

DonF wrote:Well I certainly hope he works out for you! I love shorthairs and Labs. Best of both worlds, hope the right trait's come out for you.
Thx me too

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Enjoy your dog. Sounds like he has found a good home. :)

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:51 am

I would be real careful...There is a real possibility that the two of you might just have too much fun :lol:

Ike

Post by Ike » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:59 am

Good luck with ur new dog.
I am picking up my new pup this weekend. (Llewellin Setter) Looking forward to getting back in the game. It's been over 12 yr since I had a dog to train. Digging out my old gear from the garage is fun!

Pastor Brown

Post by Pastor Brown » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:23 pm

my neighbor has a Labrador - GSP mix and he tags out all the time.

should be a great dog!