Inability to communicate using decent language

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:16 pm

I am failing to see where the initials wtf are adding anything to the posts that are being made. Unless you can explain why it is necessary in your communications we are going to give people some time off in the future. It has been explained a hundred times this is a family board and if any of you can not communicate using decent language then we will have no other choice.

Ezzy

muleskinner

Re: Inability to communicate using decent language

Post by muleskinner » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:22 pm

applause!!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:26 pm

muleskinner wrote:applause!!
Here too!

Charlie

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:48 pm

I agree, but doesn't bother me as much as "Jeezus Christ!" used as swear word.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:17 pm

Ditto to both!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:12 pm

Sharon wrote:I agree, but doesn't bother me as much as "Jeezus Christ!" used as swear word.
I agree but the post you are talking about had a complete phrase which you didn't consider. I would have to go back and look but I believe it was Jesus Christ help us or something similar. I maybe wrong but I felt that was not as bad as just using the name as a swear word. Plus it also came from a different country where they have different phrases that they use than we do. I agree it didn't impress me but I just didn't se it as quite as bad as you did.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:52 am

+1

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:36 am

Just to be clear, it doesn't bother me personally, I just don't see the need for it nor do I think it is appropriate on this forum. There are rules to be followed and I don't believe abbreviations should be allowed as a loop hole.

Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:56 am

birddogger wrote:Just to be clear, it doesn't bother me personally, I just don't see the need for it nor do I think it is appropriate on this forum. There are rules to be followed and I don't believe abbreviations should be allowed as a loop hole.

Charlie
Thank you and I agree completely. Just not necessary.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Sharon wrote:I agree, but doesn't bother me as much as "Jeezus Christ!" used as swear word.
I agree but the post you are talking about had a complete phrase which you didn't consider. I would have to go back and look but I believe it was Jesus Christ help us or something similar. I maybe wrong but I felt that was not as bad as just using the name as a swear word. Plus it also came from a different country where they have different phrases that they use than we do. I agree it didn't impress me but I just didn't se it as quite as bad as you did.
Appreciate the explanation.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:46 pm

I heard a reporter on TV speak about a traffiic snafu, and thought about fubar, both being acronyms, the "F" word being impolite. Perhaps if the subject were an acronym and not an intialization it would be accetable. As kids Mom would not let us say heck or durn, as everyone knew what we meant. Said we must learn to use decent language.

She was right. As is this ban.

When I hear or read any of them, my brain translates.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Have any of you heard kids from ages 5 on up :roll: ? They use much "worse" language than they have ever seen on this forum. They could probably teach us some that we've never heard of.
Words are only words and acronyms are only acronyms.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:54 pm

Maybe on the coasts or in the cities Del lolo, planty of rural kids still taught respectful ways of communication, maybe a few city kids too....

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:09 pm

Disrespectful parents produce disrespectful children regardless of their environment.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Anybody who has hit their thumb with a hammer and said "Oh dear that was painful" , please raise their Hand . .....Er, the good one :wink:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:22 pm

What does any of this have to do with this forum's rules and why would anybody have a problem abiding by them? Offensive or not, rules are rules. I just don't understand the problem.

Charlie

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Del Lolo wrote:Have any of you heard kids from ages 5 on up :roll: ? They use much "worse" language than they have ever seen on this forum. They could probably teach us some that we've never heard of.
Words are only words and acronyms are only acronyms.
Words ARE more than words, they are how we tell each other what we are thinking. I would guess everyone on here has had years of schooling, years of having parents, and years of learning to express their thoughts in carefully thought out terms so everyone will understand just what you are thinking. So tell me what does mad as heck mean? Doubt if either of us really know. Maybe very mad, terribly mad, or just a little mad, awfully mad, angry, disturbed, infuriated. Don't think we will ever know so you wasted your time.

And I can't believe what you are saying. I usually try to not read between the lines, but it is hard to do when you say it is all right to use bad language because 5 year olds are. I grew up thinking adults set the rules and kids were taught what those rules are. I know that is the way it should be but I have to admit there appears to be many people today that do communicate on a five year olds level so maybe you have found the reason.

You know, there is only one possibility of any of us getting out of this world alive. There are quite explicit rules that are pretty simple as to how to do it. Whether you believe that or not, it seems very foolish to me to spit in the face of the one giving you that chance.

Language does not offend me as all it does is say that the speaker, not the listener, has never learned how to adequately express themselves. And my earlier offer still goes, tell me why it is necessary and what it adds to the conversation and I may change my mind.

Tell me

Ezzy

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Expression... Some express differently than others. Most here are adults and really don't wan't moderation of their word's foul to some or not. After all this forum is mostly an American audience... I see more insulting comments coming from some of the more favorable members who do not use slang or swear word's but insult or offend just the same...

Just one inadequate ex presser's opinion
:wink:
Last edited by QuillGordon on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:11 pm

polmaise wrote:Anybody who has hit their thumb with a hammer and said "Oh dear that was painful" , please raise their Hand . .....Er, the good one :wink:
Actually I say "ouch". Whenever one of the kids tells me they hurt themselves I always ask them "Did you say ouch like you meant it?"

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:32 pm

The most universal word commonly used is the "eff" word. It can be used in many dozens of ways.
Did you even know where it originated ? I do. It originated from the first letters of "Fornication Under Consent of the King". (For you younger folks, it did not originate from the Van Halen album, "For unlawful Carmal Knowledge" ) :lol:
Just like the term WOP (Without Papers) and many other words that are commonly used in modern language.

So, if i use the term Fornication Under Consent of the King it'll be alright, but if i use the first letters of each word that i'll get banned :?:

rlrobinhood

Post by rlrobinhood » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Del Lolo wrote:It originated from the first letters of "Fornication Under Consent of the King". (For you younger folks, it did not originate from the Van Halen album, "For unlawful Carmal Knowledge" ) :lol:
:
not exactly...

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/"bleep".asp

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Del Lolo wrote:The most universal word commonly used is the "eff" word. It can be used in many dozens of ways.
Did you even know where it originated ? I do. It originated from the first letters of "Fornication Under Consent of the King". (For you younger folks, it did not originate from the Van Halen album, "For unlawful Carmal Knowledge" ) :lol:
Just like the term WOP (Without Papers) and many other words that are commonly used in modern language.

So, if i use the term Fornication Under Consent of the King it'll be alright, but if i use the first letters of each word that i'll get banned :?:
Wrong again! If you use either you will be banned. Hope this doesn't restrict any of you too much but it is what it is.

Ezzy

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:18 pm

From Wikipedia :
The word is one of the few that has legitimate colloquial usage as a verb, adverb, adjective, command, conjunction, exclamatory, noun and pronoun.

I don't know of any other single word that can be used so many different ways.
Last edited by Del Lolo on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:42 pm

I still don't understand why anybody feels it necessary to make their comment or get their point across. If that is the only way a person can communicate, that person probably doesn't have a basis for his position to begin with. We agreed to the rules when we joined and now we are going to question them. :? Whether offensive or not, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO MAKE A POINT OR EXPRESS AN OPINION. And what does a 5 yr.old kid speaking or being familiar with foul language have to do with it anyway?

Charlie

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:51 pm

birddogger wrote:I still don't understand why anybody feels it necessary to make their comment or get their point across. If that is the only way a person can communicate, that person probably doesn't have a basis for his position to begin with. We agreed to the rules when we joined and now we are going to question them. :? Whether offensive or not, IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO MAKE A POINT OR EXPRESS AN OPINION. And what does a 5 yr.old kid speaking or being familiar with foul language have to do with it anyway?

Charlie
Well said!

No one is forced to come here to read or post., we are here as guests and must follow the rules or leave. It really is that simple.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:54 am

Have any of you heard kids from ages 5 on up ? They use much "worse" language than they have ever seen on this forum
Speak for yerself there, my kids do not talk like that. Country raised they be.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14 am

Del Lolo wrote:From Wikipedia :
The word is one of the few that has legitimate colloquial usage as a verb, adverb, adjective, command, conjunction, exclamatory, noun and pronoun.

Why are you wasting so much time looking up a word no one uses in polite society, you included, isn't allowed anywhere on public communication channels and has no real meaning that adds a thing to your ability to communicate. Looks like it is just another thing for you to complain about and I don't have the time to babysit you or anyone else who can't control their own selves. I am through with this, you know the rules, you agreed to follow them, they haven't changed and aren't going to soon, so either follow them or find somewhere else to act stupid. I think you can already see how most of the board feel about the issue.

Ezzy

Ezzy

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:31 am

Del Lolo wrote:From Wikipedia :

and all of the uses are offensive... every last one. there is no need for it on a family friendly forum... this is a site we can come to and discuss dogs, and even a thread for unrelated items of discussion... why is it so hard to just follow the rules that the people who provide the forum ask us to follow?.. :|

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:32 am

Easy Ezzy, perhaps if we discuss this some we will get understanding and cheerful compliance, you have 98% of us in total agreement with you. Peer pressure being what it is, you may never need the big stick.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:30 am

There are times when you should be allowed to use the "F" word on this forum.............................Cj

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:09 am

cjhills wrote:There are times when you should be allowed to use the "F" word on this forum.............................Cj
No there is not. Just log off and cool down.
Mike

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:36 am

cjhills wrote:There are times when you should be allowed to use the "F" word on this forum.............................Cj
There is never a time to use words like that in any public setting and very little excuse otherwise.

Ezzy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:44 am

Never.

Nor in my home.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 am

Neil wrote:
Never.

Nor in my home.
Exactly Niel and I would like to hear why anybody would think there is a reason for it. I am by no means a prude or a "holier than thou" type of person. But why anybody would there is a reason or need for it is beyond me. In fact, it could cause more animosity in a controversial thread IMO.

Charle

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:24 pm

I think their are people who become aware of either a written or unwritten rule to push the button to see if they can get away with it. And there also is the same factor that makes people try to out do the last responder to a situation like the 145,000 dollar award and what they would do. Some people feel the need to do something that will make people notice them and what they say. If you can't get it done within the rules then they feel the need to break them.

Ezzy

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 pm

Charlie,

My Dad was a WW II hero, ran a logging, sawmill, trucking company in the Ozarks, employing some rough folks. He was not a religious man and only had an 8th grade education. Yet he was able to communicate without profanity. Even when angry, which was rare, it was less rare for him to cuss. I do not recall him admonishing anyone for cussings, but his workers didn't in his presence.

He also taught me to follow the rules of the "house".

Any of you are free to start your own Profane Gun Dog Forum and requrie cussing in every thread.

Ezzy, I may have been wrong, please use the stick.

Neil

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:26 pm

So why pussyfoot around the issue? The moderators can issue warnings for vulgar language, personal attacks, clearly provoking, continued denigrating others or whatever the rules state. If it's repetitive, give them a short suspension, longer suspension, expulsion, in a progressively escalating manner.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:38 pm

I think Ezzy does a remarkable job in keeping things pretty civilized- I'm sure he has better things to do. I would like to see more of as rownie said. When a guy starts to ruin threads often ..................no names ............be tough - as long as it isn't me. :)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Sharon wrote:I think Ezzy does a remarkable job in keeping things pretty civilized- I'm sure he has better things to do. I would like to see more of as rownie said. When a guy starts to ruin threads often ..................no names ............be tough - as long as it isn't me. :)
Or girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:04 pm

LOL Hey, I wasn't referring to you. I enjoy your posts when you don't swear. :mrgreen: I was referring to someone else. If I'm ever ruining a post you PM me know right away.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Sharon wrote:LOL Hey, I wasn't referring to you. I enjoy your posts when you don't swear. :mrgreen: I was referring to someone else. If I'm ever ruining a post you PM me know right away.
I am quite sure you didn't see me swear in a post on here. I really agree that it shouldn't be allowed on here. But I am really old and the younger people I deal with every day and like and respect very much , including my youngest son who I raised from eight years old as a single parent when his mother pass away, Mostly can't say hello without using the F word. They look at it quite differently than I do. I have grown accustom to potty mouth and speak it quite fluently. I do not consider it swearing. To me swearing is taking the name of the lord in vain. They know that and do not use those words. I was a bit shocked when I heard the females of the species use the F word. But to them it is a nonissue.
I looked out the window this morning and saw a owl in my pigeon pen. He had killed15 out of my 17 young homers. Didn't eat any. The jury is still debating on what his sentence should be. I said to my wife, "my goodness a owl has killed my pigeons" She wanted to know what I was going to do with Him. It was really a surprise that she heard me Since she is 2200 miles away in Florida, What will the neighbors think....Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:34 pm

That is really too bad about your birds.
I worked at the jail for 20 years so really have to watch my tongue... I've heard every curse word possible in a variety of forms.:)

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:38 pm

While I agree coarse language has no place here, as stated above it is viewed very differently depending on what generation you "relate" to. I hate to say my mouth is pretty poor when with my friends.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:50 pm

The generation thing is an interesting view point. I do believe, we may have more coarse language now. I was in the Navy for 6 years and am pretty sure I fall under the. Old sailor sayng. Especially being a female machinist you almost felt like you had to do things to fit in.
But what is more interesting to me is how my up bringing kicks in natuarlly when the time is right. I still dont use coarse language around my father. Where before it was out of fear(something that maybe the next generation will never experience) now it is out of respect.
I have slipped up from time to time and have felt heat of shame rise in my face.
But maybe is we chose to speak on the forums like we would to our fathers or mothers it would get better and an example would be set.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:12 am

If my dogs hear me curse, they go in their kennel or outside. I have worked in a "proper" corporate office for 15 years straight now. We dont have the freedom to curse in a mixed office. When I was in Flight Test, it was an office and mixed, but an occasional word or two a day was heard across the office. No rants. When I worked on the shop floor, language was pretty loose pinups were everywhere except in big companies shops where the pinups had to be somewhat hidden in cabinet doors etc.. the many small machine shops I worked in each had their own atmosphere. In one shop the foreman would come by at 9:00 a.m. each day and set two Budweiser beers on each bench, then put the rest in the shop fridge. There was always beer in the fridge free for the drinking. Cursing was encouraged, of course.

This forum needs a little more moderating and a lot less instigating. Cursing isn't the issue. ... In my opinion.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:20 am

I don't like swearing but I do swear when among other men, 26 years of working alongside about 100 other men saw to that. I just sort of fell into the habit. I think it is a habit that can be fairly easily controlled for I didn't swear in front of my children and I don't swear in front of my grandchildren. When women are present I try not to swear and usually succeed.

There is considerably less swearing on this forum than is done on some British forums, swearing seems to be more acceptable here in Britain especially among the younger folk. Swear words get included in sentences so much that the words are meaningless to just about everyone ..... unless the manner in which they are said is deliberately offensive.

The thing that has startled me most about the American way of life, to judge by this forum anyway, is the much greater emphasis religion seems to have in your lives.
Nobody turns a hair on British forums when a word or words referring to god is used.

Bill T.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:30 am

I used to go to comedyclubs, but the languge is getting so bad its all they say, the f word isnt funny so Idont go. I got a 12 year old at home and am trying to show him you can get the ideas across without foul talk. Many of the kids he plays sports with use that word tho, coaches dont even blink an eye. When I was in school that word got you sidelined for the next game.

I was 12, we moved off the farm to chicago, I heard a whole slew of new words, went home and tryed a few out on my mom. My rear end still hurts and that was in 1969....

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:27 am

If you ever work at a job around women day in & day out you will find out they talk worse then men,not very becoming.Young women or school girls today talk worse then the boys did when I was in school but girls don't do the same things women use to do they pretty much act like men anymore unless they want something.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:30 am

Really? I guess it depends on the women you hang out with. :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:31 am

roaniecowpony wrote:If my dogs hear me curse, they go in their kennel or outside. I have worked in a "proper" corporate office for 15 years straight now. We dont have the freedom to curse in a mixed office. When I was in Flight Test, it was an office and mixed, but an occasional word or two a day was heard across the office. No rants. When I worked on the shop floor, language was pretty loose pinups were everywhere except in big companies shops where the pinups had to be somewhat hidden in cabinet doors etc.. the many small machine shops I worked in each had their own atmosphere. In one shop the foreman would come by at 9:00 a.m. each day and set two Budweiser beers on each bench, then put the rest in the shop fridge. There was always beer in the fridge free for the drinking. Cursing was encouraged, of course.

This forum needs a little more moderating and a lot less instigating. Cursing isn't the issue. ... In my opinion.
My opinion too.