Looking train my Brittany..

Brittany birddog

Post by Brittany birddog » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:29 pm

My American Brittany is almost 11 months old. I know I should of started earlier but just didn't have the time.. can i to start training him now to bird hunt and still have a good bird dog? Also do any of you have a good place to start.. Books? DVD?.. Etc. I would like to train him myself but don't know really much about training a dog to bird hunt..
Would most likely use him to hunt prairie birds (pheasant, chukkers..) I won't do my much waterfowl..
Any advice would be a huge help..

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Looking train my Brittany..

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:24 pm

Your dog is not too old.
Where do you live?
Buy the book "Training with Mo" Google it.
Read the book then come back and ask questions about things you don't understand in the book.

There is only three major things your dog needs to understand.
1. come to you
2. Go with you
3. Stand still.

There is probably a dozen different methods to achieve these 3 things. Pick one you understand and stick with it.
Don't try to do too much a one time. Dogs learn best with short training sessions. Always end on a positive note. Don't loose your patience, stop, put the dog away, go have a beer.
Think about what you are doing wrong.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Brittany birddog

Post by Brittany birddog » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks. I will look to get that "training with Mo" book. Appreciate the help.

Brittany birddog

Post by Brittany birddog » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Thanks a lot. Appreciate it! I'll be sure to look into that book. I'll do my best.. Look forward to getting him trained..
I live 20 minutes east of Lancaster..
Thanks again

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:28 am

I went and talked to a pro. Spent hours working commands and obedience. Then I sent my dog to a trainer for a month to be intro'd to birds, gun, ect. I got lucky with my first britt, its all he needed. He's not steady to shot, but he'll slam a covey of huns like theres no tomorrow and will relocate or hold on his own...I don't "whoa" him. If he needs to relocate he'll move. Im not a trial guy. My second dog is going to require a ton of extra work.....she is lacking in the natural dept I think (plus Im almost positive she has rocks in her head instead of brains).

There are some good dvds and seminars you can go to also. I would suggest getting Ben O. Williams training book too.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:51 am

Brittany birddog wrote:Thanks a lot. Appreciate it! I'll be sure to look into that book. I'll do my best.. Look forward to getting him trained..
I live 20 minutes east of Lancaster..
Thanks again
Several good Brittany trainers in your neck of the woods.

Brian Riggle in PA http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breeders- ... tanys.html
Jimmy Johnson - Ravinia OH http://dtsystems.com/jimmyjohnson

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:00 pm

If possible get involved with you local chapter NAVHDA

http://www.navhda.us/chaptmap.html

Also look at the hunt test http://www.navhda.org/testrule.pdf even if you won’t test, it sort of gives an idea of what attributes your training, at 11 months you want to look at the natural ability test., section 4.

1 searches and points(3 seconds)
2 tracks ground scent
3 swims

Other good resources
Perfect start/ perfect finish
Smith Silent command
Hickox Pointing dog video
NAVHDA Green book

Smart fetch if you need/want to force fetch

And if you have not start running your dog off leash in "birdy" places just fun field romps, and though your not a hard core water fowler I would still do pond romps as well at some point you may jump shoot a duck or have a bird fall in the water. besides chasing ducks through the reeds is good physical and nose training

Brittany birddog

Post by Brittany birddog » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Thanks for the help.. Great point in the right direction.
Thanks again

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Brittany birddog wrote:Thanks for the help.. Great point in the right direction.
Thanks again
If I were you, I would find out how to get to the York pointer and Setter club, and join it. It is , I believe, in Rossville, PA which should be reasonably close to you.

Some of the very best bird dog folks in the country can be found on those grounds. Believe it.

Training with Mo is a well written, easy to follow, logical program.

RayG

Brittany birddog

Post by Brittany birddog » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:45 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
Brittany birddog wrote:Thanks for the help.. Great point in the right direction.
Thanks again
If I were you, I would find out how to get to the York pointer and Setter club, and join it. It is , I believe, in Rossville, PA which should be reasonably close to you.

Some of the very best bird dog folks in the country can be found on those grounds. Believe it.

Training with Mo is a well written, easy to follow, logical program.

RayG
Thank you, never heard of them, but I am new to this also. I'll be sure to look more into it all. And be sure to get the "Training with Mo" book as others have also recommended it as well

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:59 am

Another thing is clubs...There are a few clubs or trainers who have groups get togethers where you get hands on Carl Babb is one over in the california area
Another thing is seminars I have a Rick Smith Seminar feb 21 22 23 here in AZ ..

Books are very good but one thing a book has a hard time teaching is how to read the dog :wink:

Big thing is since you are starting out PICK A METHOD don't bounce around from one to another as you will only lead your self and your dog into a state of confusion
Good Luck
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:55 am

There just so happens to be a pretty good Brittany guy coming to your state in May. He has a seminar at Lion Country Supply in Port Matilda, PA every spring. www.huntsmith.com

Nate

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:25 am

DoubleBarrel GunDogs wrote:There just so happens to be a pretty good Brittany guy coming to your state in May. He has a seminar at Lion Country Supply in Port Matilda, PA every spring. http://www.huntsmith.com

Nate
Worth every penny...Wish People would go to his or other good seminars BEFORE they get their pups..They would be so far ahead of the game :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 pm

Mo Lindley will have a seminar coming up in the near future . If you google Pineyrun Kennels you should be able to find the info on the website.
I believe the seminar will be in VA.

Good Luck!

Brittany birddog

Post by Brittany birddog » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks! I'll be linking for these seminars, glad there are some closer to me. You all have been awesome.. Thanks for everything