Bird dog running like a beagle

bruns333

Bird dog running like a beagle

Post by bruns333 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:19 pm

My 17 month GSP has taken to running with her nose on the ground while running in FT's. She seems to have developed this in the past few months and I am not sure how to fix this. Her prey drive is very high and she has been caught chasing deer, groundhogs, and also pretty stellar at catching birds lately. My question is how to fix her of this annoying problem. Anyone have any insight?

Matt

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Bird dog running like a beagle

Post by Neil » Mon May 12, 2014 3:02 am

I would start working her on the barrel while taking her to a bird field without distractions of off game. Road or swim her to get her in peak condition.

Ground scenting is in her genes and has to be worked out. The barrel will teach her too stand tall, the bird field will help her concentrate on air scent, and being in shape will up her drive. Often they are piddling around when messing with ground scent.

Get better flying birds, at 17 months, the bird catching needs to stop.

Your problem is common, most continentals go through the phase. Train through it.

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon May 12, 2014 5:20 am

Sound's to me like a check cord and more control might help!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon May 12, 2014 9:38 am

What is her competitive drive like? I have one that when hunting or running on his own looks like a hound dog, however you put him on the ground with a faster dog that is getting it done and he has enough drive to be to the front, and enough drive to compete that he runs and hunts with is head up, A little bit of it is race horseing, and alot of it is just pure and simple drive to compete.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon May 12, 2014 12:10 pm

bruns333 wrote:My 17 month GSP has taken to running with her nose on the ground while running in FT's. She seems to have developed this in the past few months and I am not sure how to fix this. Her prey drive is very high and she has been caught chasing deer, groundhogs, and also pretty stellar at catching birds lately. My question is how to fix her of this annoying problem. Anyone have any insight?
Matt
Only in FTs? Maybe she is smarter than we think.:) Tracking the bird wagon, previously scented tracks ? Work in as many foreign - to - her spots as possible.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett