Pudlepointer 9 mths old...being rehomed?

halt3rtop

Pudlepointer 9 mths old...being rehomed?

Post by halt3rtop » Wed May 14, 2014 4:35 pm

my bosse's father who has been an avid hunter all his life purchased from a breeder a purebred pudlepointer. unfortunately, i don't know which breeder as he never mentioned. she's a small dog, 9 months of age, and just has a drive like no tomorrow. unfortunately he's an older gentleman (probably in his late 70's early 80's) and this pup as him and his wife agreed is waaaaaaay too much for them to handle. as far as i've seen, she's papered, extremely stubborn, knows the basics (sit, kennel, etc) but doesn't listen worth beans. he admits that he hasn't worked her at all for hunting, but you can tell right off the hop she wants to go. she also seemingly has a slight aggression issue where if she's in her car crate, and you get too close, she snarls, growls and even snaps as i found out today. so, bottom line, he's going to contact the breeder to see what his opinion is, and if he can't give any decent answers, they'll be rehoming her wherever. i'm on the fencepost on this, as this is a huge step if we take her on, as she needs a TON of training, but the snapping issue is my problem. can a pup at 9 months of age be re-trained, or are pudlepointers or any breed at a later age hard to train to hunt and stay on commands?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed May 14, 2014 4:47 pm

The snapping could just be a snarky spoiled pup or a real aggression issue...hard to say.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Pudlepointer 9 mths old...being rehomed?

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 14, 2014 4:55 pm

Would be my guess you can correct her aggression but it will take some consistent training. In my mind worth the gamble.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 14, 2014 5:04 pm

halt3rtop wrote:my bosse's father who has been an avid hunter all his life purchased from a breeder a purebred pudlepointer. unfortunately, i don't know which breeder as he never mentioned. she's a small dog, 9 months of age, and just has a drive like no tomorrow. unfortunately he's an older gentleman (probably in his late 70's early 80's) and this pup as him and his wife agreed is waaaaaaay too much for them to handle. as far as i've seen, she's papered, extremely stubborn, knows the basics (sit, kennel, etc) but doesn't listen worth beans. he admits that he hasn't worked her at all for hunting, but you can tell right off the hop she wants to go. she also seemingly has a slight aggression issue where if she's in her car crate, and you get too close, she snarls, growls and even snaps as i found out today. so, bottom line, he's going to contact the breeder to see what his opinion is, and if he can't give any decent answers, they'll be rehoming her wherever. i'm on the fencepost on this, as this is a huge step if we take her on, as she needs a TON of training, but the snapping issue is my problem. can a pup at 9 months of age be re-trained, or are pudlepointers or any breed at a later age hard to train to hunt and stay on commands?
I'd bet she's saying , "I'm not getting out of this crate until I get a decent run!!" :evil:
She 's almost at her prime as far as needing hard running exercise at least every second day for an hour. If you can provide that , go for it.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 14, 2014 5:44 pm

At the age these owner are, way to much pup for them! Find another pup. I have been worrying about that problem myself. By the time Squirt and Bodie are gone I'll be in my mid to late 70's, can I handle a pup then? I don't know but hoping I can some breed.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed May 14, 2014 6:23 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Would be my guess you can correct her aggression but it will take some consistent training. In my mind worth the gamble.

Ezzy
I also believe it would be worth the gamble and maybe not as big of a gamble as it may seem at the moment.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed May 14, 2014 7:30 pm

I'm just curious but which organization "papers" Pudelpointers? I wouldn't worry too much about the snarling from a young female. My contact with the breed showed a pretty sweet breed over all but there are always exceptions.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu May 15, 2014 11:05 am

halt3rtop wrote:can a pup at 9 months of age be re-trained, or are pudlepointers or any breed at a later age hard to train to hunt and stay on commands?

I would not call 9mo "older" Most of my dogs barely know there name by a year old. My limited experience with PP is that the 2 I have met were friendly and pleasant. I imagine a few "get right" meetings, and some consistent exercise will likely turn this pup around.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

halt3rtop

Post by halt3rtop » Thu May 15, 2014 4:01 pm

the boyfriend said no last night, but he's thinking about it. i mean, it's a big take on already having a great GSP that's 2 yrs of age. shes pretty spoiled as far as i know, but she's way too much pup as you guys have mentioned for him. it's a sad deal, she is a hunting breed, and needs to hunt. i know she'd be a hard pup to train having been spoiled for so long. i live with my boyfriend under his roof, so it would be something he would need to agree to, and i respect what he says. when i got my pup, i was with him almost 24/7, running him in the woods (i got him in march, so birds were migrating) and i stayed on top of him, and trained and worked him hard. i am so thankful i had the people i had to help me train, and allow me to train an hunt with them, as that was the year my separation happened, so it kept me occupied! in speaking with my buddy who got me on hunting dogs on birds, he says PP's are an aggressive breed in their later years. this dog, i have no clue where she came from, i'm only going on what the old man has told me, and i don't want to dig too deep as this is a touchy situation for him having to give up this dog. maybe she does have a screw loose, maybe all she needs is a mentor like my bullet had as a pup, some other dog to train with and learn off of. i guess bottom line we'll see what happens. there's a lady who's "puppy sat" the pup in her younger years, and says she may be able to take the dog, strictly as a family pet....hope she knows what she's getting herself into....