Stamina of DD vs Field bred lab

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:32 pm

Hey guys, i have another question. How much stamina do DD naturally have? I was wondering how it would compare to a field bred lab. I am an avid mountain biker, and love taking my aussie with. I have slowly trained him up, and feel we have hit his natural threshold (5-6 miles with 2 short water breaks). He is a great trail buddy, and loves to go with, but his stamina isnt really what i expected. People told me i was in for a hyper dog, but with a few rides a week, a few frisbee sessions and a few short jogs he gets pretty lazy. Not thar I'm complaining, but im just surprised at his level of stamina. I was wondering if a field bred lab, or a DD would be able to keep up with the bike rides, the short runs and then still have enough go left in the tank for training and a few game farm trips each summer to keep sharp. My aussie has awesome sprint stamina and i love that he is mellow in the house, but sometimes i wish he had a little bit more energy left for agility training at the end of the day. I have heard that some labs have boundless energy, is this true? None of the ones we had when i was a kid had the kind of energy i think if as boundless... And with only hunting over 2 DD i have no idea about their energy level, as we hunted for only a few hours. Any insight offered will be appreciated! Thanks guys.

mnaj_springer

Re: Stamina of DD vs Field bred lab

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:34 pm

Are you doing this all in one day? Or expect your dog to? And I think this is more about specific breeding lines... You'll have to check with breeders, see how their dogs work...

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:36 pm

My DD is 10 now, and we still bike 5 miles at 12mph every other day and walk 3 miles twice a week. When she was young we'd do ten miles at 8mph average. I have never conditioned a lab like that, I've always let training condition them, so can't say how far and how fast they can run but I seriously doubt they can match a DD. May well be wrong though.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:24 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:My DD is 10 now, and we still bike 5 miles at 12mph every other day and walk 3 miles twice a week. When she was young we'd do ten miles at 8mph average. I have never conditioned a lab like that, I've always let training condition them, so can't say how far and how fast they can run but I seriously doubt they can match a DD. May well be wrong though.
You're not.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:49 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Are you doing this all in one day? Or expect your dog to? And I think this is more about specific breeding lines... You'll have to check with breeders, see how their dogs work...
I typically play frisbee with my aussie at least once per day, and bike with him almost every other day. Our schedule will look like this: get up, head to the trail, go for a ride, after which i head to work, get home play fribee, hang out do whatever for a while then so agility when it gets closer to evening. Thats the general pattern. With additional hikes and scouting in there, plus the odd trip to the lake. We're pretty active every day

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:51 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:My DD is 10 now, and we still bike 5 miles at 12mph every other day and walk 3 miles twice a week. When she was young we'd do ten miles at 8mph average. I have never conditioned a lab like that, I've always let training condition them, so can't say how far and how fast they can run but I seriously doubt they can match a DD. May well be wrong though.
Thanks for the insight, even at 10 it is keeping up! Awesome! How is your dog after the rides? How long does it take to recover?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Recovery is very fast. For the first time in probably 50 years, I'm down to one dog. I hunt a lot. Even when pheasant hunting in the Dakotas, she is the only dog I take. We hunt 10am until 5. All she needs is to rest between covers and she's ready to go. In a five day hunt, she'll cover around 100 miles.

She is a very well taken care of pooch though and very well conditioned.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Wow! Thats a ton of runnin through fields chasin tail! What is your off season conditioning regimen???

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:39 am

I have never owned a D.D. but I have owned field trial labs and GSP's. I think the main difference is that the GSP or the D.D. would enjoy a lot of running more than a lab would ?

Bill T.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:36 am

I normally have a pretty well conditioned Lab and GSP, (I say normally because it has been a little hot). They are both males and are 60lbs of hard muscle, that is where the similarities stop. The GSP covers twice as much ground with what seems like half as much effort and with a much faster recovery. Muscling through thick cold cattails all day, the lab would bury the GSP. I have had the lab with me down at the harbor while I was working on my boat and he jumped in the water and swam for two hours straight, a concerned citizen and her yappy toy dog were concerned enough for his well being that she yelled at me that I was killing my dog. I called him over grabbed him by the scruff and put him on the dock and he looked at me like what did you do that for and jumped back in, my GSP goes in the water for a bird and gets out ASAP. The lab is stronger and GSP is bred to cover ground. In my opinion smaller dogs hold up better. I think that stamina comes down to three things, a sound build, conditioning and maybe most importantly air temperature. It is pretty easy to kill a dog, what you consider hot and what their body not their brain considers hot is very different.
Last edited by Garrison on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:56 am

Garrison wrote:I normally have a pretty well conditioned Lab and GSP, (I say normally because it has been a little hot). They are both males and are 60lbs of hard muscle, that is where the similarities stop. The GSP covers twice as much ground with what seems like half as much effort and with a much faster recovery. Muscling through thick cold cattails all day, the lab would bury the GSP. I have had the lab with me down at the harbor while I am working on my boat and he jumped in the water and swam for two hours straight, a concerned citizen and her yappy toy dog were concerned enough for his well being that she yelled at me that I was killing my dog. I called him over grabbed him by the scruff and put him on the dock and he looked at me like what did you do that for and jumped back in, my GSP goes in the water for a bird and gets out ASAP. The lab is stronger and GSP is bred to cover ground. In my opinion smaller dogs hold up better. I think that stamina comes down to three things, a sound build, conditioning and maybe most importantly air temperature. It is pretty easy to kill a dog, what you consider hot and what their body not their brain considers hot is very different.
Thanks Garrison, i think you might be right on! Where did you find a 60lb lab??? Thats a perfect size lab if you ask me.
I never take my dog out riding above 72. If its hot we wait till dark, or go early. We also take tons of water breaks. I watch my pup closely and when he looks hot, we stop and get water. I don't want to have a dog die from heat stroke. I assume a lab would have roughly the same heat tolerance that i do (none)

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Someone dumped him at my school with a box of kittens. He was pretty young and a pain, but has turned in to a pretty good retriever.

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:56 pm

I consider a GSP to be very similar to a DD in regards to what this post is seeking.

I'm a still active duty marine officer, and my wife is a stay at home mom. We both run.

I take my GSP with me on my daily runs, she takes the lab with her. That's the difference between a field bred lab and a pointer.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Garrison wrote:Someone dumped him at my school with a box of kittens. He was pretty young and a pain, but has turned in to a pretty good retriever.

Dang! Hes a good lookin dog too!! You really got a good deal on that one! Its awesome that you took him in too, i respect that!

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:I consider a GSP to be very similar to a DD in regards to what this post is seeking.

I'm a still active duty marine officer, and my wife is a stay at home mom. We both run.

I take my GSP with me on my daily runs, she takes the lab with her. That's the difference between a field bred lab and a pointer.
Do you guys not run together?
Just a point of clarification, do you think the lab would have trouble keeping up? How big is your lab? How old? How big is your gsp? How old?

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:59 pm

We do not run together. I'm an 18 minute 5k guy and my wife is not. My GSP is 2, weighs about 70lbs and holds fine with me.

My lab is from solid field lines, 1 year old, weighs 70 lbs, and I can smoke him. Different breeds for different things.

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:11 pm

I think it could be managed a bit by taking care in selection of a pup, but regarding running/biking etc. on roads I'd worry a bit more about a lab getting into hip and knee injuries than a versatile pointing dog. I don't know enough about health in DD's in general to comment on them. If I was leaning lab, I might lean towards smaller more athletic labs than the standard big blocky type, and I'd want to buy from a breeder with a long history of the bloodlines and joint health in them.

Bluesky2012

Post by Bluesky2012 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Windyhills wrote:I think it could be managed a bit by taking care in selection of a pup, but regarding running/biking etc. on roads I'd worry a bit more about a lab getting into hip and knee injuries than a versatile pointing dog. I don't know enough about health in DD's in general to comment on them. If I was leaning lab, I might lean towards smaller more athletic labs than the standard big blocky type, and I'd want to buy from a breeder with a long history of the bloodlines and joint health in them.

I have been told (I'm not a vet though) that if a lab is not genetically pre-disposed for these issues, they won't occur, so with that, if you have a pup with all the health certs then it shouldn't be a problem.

I am positive though that a DD will outrun and out distance a lab, no matter if it's a smaller trial type, or a big old oaf. DDs are just bred for it.

JKP

Post by JKP » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:30 pm

YOU BIKE??? THE DOG IS SUPPOSED TO KEEP UP WITH YOUR 10 SPEED FOR TEN MILES...THEN SWIM THE BAY AND PLAY FRISBEE IN THE EVENING??

I'd be more interested in hearing how much the dog is going to hunt. I doubt many DD breeders will sell a dog to a bike rider.

I have seen DD on the ground chasing hogs for four hours or more....can't tell you how many miles that is. I should think 5-6 miles wouldn't be a whole lot....depends on how fast you intend to push the dog on your 10 speed alloy framed
road bike. I'd be more impressed if you were running. :lol:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:12 pm

JKP wrote:YOU BIKE??? THE DOG IS SUPPOSED TO KEEP UP WITH YOUR 10 SPEED FOR TEN MILES...THEN SWIM THE BAY AND PLAY FRISBEE IN THE EVENING??

I'd be more interested in hearing how much the dog is going to hunt. I doubt many DD breeders will sell a dog to a bike rider.

I have seen DD on the ground chasing hogs for four hours or more....can't tell you how many miles that is. I should think 5-6 miles wouldn't be a whole lot....depends on how fast you intend to push the dog on your 10 speed alloy framed
What are you even talking about?? You lost me.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:51 am

Here's the thing JK; dogs LOVE to run from a bike. You are not stressing them, the LOVE it! Mine gets about as excited going for a bike ride as she does going hunting. You don't make the dog KEEP UP WITH YOU, you let the dog set the pace and YOU KEEP UP WITH THE DOG. I would doubt there's a DD breeder in this country that would object to that. If you condition them off an ATV, why not a bike?

If you don't condition them off a bike or ATV, just how do you condition them? Most of us are not blessed with thousands of acres of cover and a horse to work them from.

You make due with what you are given.

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:46 am

You missed the point....I'd prefer questions about the dog's hunting ability, stamina and how the dog is going to be used. There are lots of Labradoodles for the bike riders.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 am

What's wrong with him asking how to condition the dog. That's just being thorough.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:26 am

I'm having a hard time with JKP's bike comments as well. I bike my GWP to get her conditioned for hunting season and she loves it. When I get out her harness she flips out, at least as much as when I get out the training bag or shotgun. She gets to pull me around the neighborhood for 5-6 miles, and I do mean pull - I rarely have to pedal. 15 miles is an average day hunting for the dog, going about the same pace as we do on the bike. So, I'd think if the dog was just running with you it would be able to keep up on a longer ride no problem.

Unless biking with the dog and hunting the dog are somehow mutually exclusive in your world?
Last edited by 41magsnub on Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:01 am

I don't think it was mentioned that Labs have terrible heat tolerance. They weren't bred to have heat tolerance.

And it doesn't have to be really hot either.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:44 am

My little field bred lab runs 5 miles a day with my fiancé, then comes home and plays fetch for as long as I will throw his bumper, or hit his tennis ball. But he is pretty much a physical freak when it comes to labs, or at least the ones I have seen.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:14 pm

I have a 82 lb lab that is very lean and muscular. I have a neighbor with 2 (average looking) labs both in the 65-75 lb range and he can't believe that mine weighs more than his do. He hides the weight well.

Anyways, temp is the biggest thing with my lab when I bike with him. Try to do it a few days a week. Late fall, winter (don't do a lot of biking then, but have), early spring, he could go for a long ways. 10 miles is definitely not a stretch. In the summer though, there are days when 1 mile is more than enough. You will figure out how to read them and adjust. I have no fancy technology so I'm not sure what pace we are at, but sometimes he is sprinting for miles and other times he is jogging it all, I let him set the pace for day.

USMC

Post by USMC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:04 pm

A Lab will never keep up with a DD in the indurance dept.... Don't care if the Lab is 55lb.. It ain't happening! By the way there are a lot of big DD out there.

I really like Labs and DD!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:46 pm

Why limit your choice to just those breeds? With my Vizsla's and GSP's I have to use a vehicle to condition them and the vehicle stays at 19MPH for 1hr but when I look at their GPS collars the are always over 20 miles covered. They don't just run beside me and are often at a full sprint to get in front of the other. During Trial training they do that twice per day and still easily do other training or activities in between. They also top out right around 40mph during sprint training during the hot months.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:32 am

40mph!!?
That's a big call mate, considering greyhounds top out at 45mph

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 am

I clocked my GWP last year at 33MPH. I don't know if she could do 40.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:47 am

Soarer31 wrote:40mph!!?

I really don't care if its a big call because they wear Garmins. If I was just going by my trucks speedo I may not believe it myself.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:30 am

Windyhills wrote:I think it could be managed a bit by taking care in selection of a pup, but regarding running/biking etc. on roads I'd worry a bit more about a lab getting into hip and knee injuries than a versatile pointing dog. I don't know enough about health in DD's in general to comment on them. If I was leaning lab, I might lean towards smaller more athletic labs than the standard big blocky type, and I'd want to buy from a breeder with a long history of the bloodlines and joint health in them.
Ive never been a huge fan of the big blocky labs, I like a little smaller one. No worries, I don't do any running on tar, and I never run my dogs on tar. Not even once. I hate running and biking on the road (I get bored) , and I couldn't risk the hip and knee injury in my dog, so no sweat there!
As far as temp, my dog stays home after 65, and if the lab can't handle 65, I would leave it home. I would hate to cause my hunting buddy any harm.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Minneguy wrote:
Ive never been a huge fan of the big blocky labs, I like a little smaller one. No worries, I don't do any running on tar, and I never run my dogs on tar. Not even once. I hate running and biking on the road (I get bored) , and I couldn't risk the hip and knee injury in my dog, so no sweat there!
As far as temp, my dog stays home after 65, and if the lab can't handle 65, I would leave it home. I would hate to cause my hunting buddy any harm.
Teal season opens here in a week and a half and it will be in the 80's. Labs can handle more then some people give them credit for. We have been conditioning mine for the past 6 weeks and it was even hotter. Trust me, I am not advising you to do anything that you are uncomfortable with but if I had to stick to 65, my labs hunting season would be a month long with no conditioning work. Conditioning is the number one thing you can do to beat heat.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:12 pm

41magsnub wrote:I clocked my GWP last year at 33MPH. I don't know if she could do 40.
33mph is pretty impressive for a GWP.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:

I really don't care if its a big call because they wear Garmins. If I was just going by my trucks speedo I may not believe it myself.
Must've fallen off a cliff ,
45 mph is greyhound league. And there've been juiced up like Lance Armstrong

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Soarer31 wrote:

45 mph is greyhound league. And there've been juiced up like Lance Armstrong
Maybe mine are too.How many V's have you seen as ripped as my avatar? lol Besides maybe you should re read before making multiple dumb remarks... I never claimed 45 and certainly not for a mile.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:41 pm

JKP wrote:YOU BIKE??? THE DOG IS SUPPOSED TO KEEP UP WITH YOUR 10 SPEED FOR TEN MILES...THEN SWIM THE BAY AND PLAY FRISBEE IN THE EVENING??

Man, I don't know where to start. I don't own a road bike. After being hit by an escalade, I have given up the sport of road biking. I bike for cardio, and active joint therapy. Powerlifting and Olympic lifting can really hammer my joints, and being on a bike for an hour can really make my joints feel better from the increased blood flow. I also bike to keep lean, being a powerlifter, means eating to get stronger, but I also have to stay lean because my clients wouldn't take me as seriously otherwise. I mountain bike with my dog, and he loves it, he gets so jacked up when I pull out my bike, he can't wait to get out there. I also take him hiking a lot when I go scouting. When My joints are feeling good, I do take him running. Usually 3-5 miles of trail running at 8-10 mph depending on the day. This is mostly in the off season.
When hunting season starts, my time is spent hunting. He and I still hammer out a ride as often as possible, and we run agility as well.
I don't know why you have a problem with me riding a bike, but I don't really care what you think about my chosen form of outdoor activity.
I think you might have the image of a Tour de France rider in your head or something, but That's not me.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Bluesky2012 wrote:
I am positive though that a DD will outrun and out distance a lab, no matter if it's a smaller trial type, or a big old oaf. DDs are just bred for it.
The more I research, the more I think your right. It seems like DD have great stamina, I've even heard it's comparable in cool weather to a Pointer or a GSP. I have personal experience with a gsp, and he had energy to run all day long.

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Why limit your choice to just those breeds? With my Vizsla's and GSP's I have to use a vehicle to condition them and the vehicle stays at 19MPH for 1hr but when I look at their GPS collars the are always over 20 miles covered. They don't just run beside me and are often at a full sprint to get in front of the other. During Trial training they do that twice per day and still easily do other training or activities in between. They also top out right around 40mph during sprint training during the hot months.
Well, unfortunately I need cold weather ability (northern Minnesota), otherwise I'd love to give a visla or gsp a shot. Gsp's are actually one of my favorite, (soft spot from my childhood), but when the water gets cold, or the snow gets deep in the goose field I would hate to make either a gsp or a visla be that cold. That would be torture!
Although, I hear visla's can be super sweet dogs, I have little real world experience with them so they may handle cold better than I imagine. I know our old gsp was a tank and could run all day in the snow, but if he stopped he was cold really fast.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Minneguy wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Why limit your choice to just those breeds? With my Vizsla's and GSP's I have to use a vehicle to condition them and the vehicle stays at 19MPH for 1hr but when I look at their GPS collars the are always over 20 miles covered. They don't just run beside me and are often at a full sprint to get in front of the other. During Trial training they do that twice per day and still easily do other training or activities in between. They also top out right around 40mph during sprint training during the hot months.
Well, unfortunately I need cold weather ability (northern Minnesota), otherwise I'd love to give a visla or gsp a shot. Gsp's are actually one of my favorite, (soft spot from my childhood), but when the water gets cold, or the snow gets deep in the goose field I would hate to make either a gsp or a visla be that cold. That would be torture!
Although, I hear visla's can be super sweet dogs, I have little real world experience with them so they may handle cold better than I imagine. I know our old gsp was a tank and could run all day in the snow, but if he stopped he was cold really fast.
I admit that I was simply answering your question about stamina and I live in the tropics, so I will ask the breeder of my last Pup who lives in Canada how V's do up there. I really don't know but I think it comes down to acclimation...Would any of you guys run 5 Black Labs today when it was 97??? I did and that was right at sunset. No problems. They only went 1/4 of the distance that my pointers did because I do know who can handle heat better and I guaranty the Labs will be Duck Hunting the cold marshes while the others keep camp warm.

If you ever wanna come have a great Duck or Goose Hunt without all the snow, come on down to Central Flyway Outfitters. You just have to sign an Alligator waiver. lol

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:29 am

I really don't care if its a big call because they wear Garmins. If I was just going by my trucks speedo I may not believe it myself.[/quote]

45 mph is greyhound league. And there've been juiced up like Lance Armstrong[/quote]

Maybe mine are too.How many V's have you seen as ripped as my avatar? lol Besides maybe you should re read before making multiple dumb remarks... I never claimed 45 and certainly not for a mile.[/quote]

I'm afraid the only 'dumb remark'" is you claiming that your pan licker has a top speed of 40mph

Curious

Post by Curious » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:23 am

Just wondering if this is helping??? This isn't contributing anything to the original post so how about you drop it.

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:10 am

Brazo I am in Canada and have Weims. Weims and Vs usually do well for upland here, but later in this past winter it was tough even running them some days, between the extreme cold and deep snow. Granted this was the worst winter i can remember, but I would be leaning towards a GWP/DD for the kind of hunting Minneguy mentions.

Minneguy I think you are on the right track!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:36 am

Minneguy, I know you asked about the stamina but you also have mentioned that you duck hunt and goose hunt a couple times... If waterfowling is your primary bird hunt then you should strongly consider a lab.

I know all those folks with wirehaired dogs will say there dog pushes over icebergs, and some might do really well late in the year... But generations of breeding has made Labs goose and duck machines... That's just what I would do... I ended up with spaniels because they fit most of my needs and my hunting style

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:07 am

Minneguy wrote:
I admit that I was simply answering your question about stamina and I live in the tropics, so I will ask the breeder of my last Pup who lives in Canada how V's do up there. I really don't know but I think it comes down to acclimation...Would any of you guys run 5 Black Labs today when it was 97??? I did and that was right at sunset. No problems. They only went 1/4 of the distance that my pointers did because I do know who can handle heat better and I guaranty the Labs will be Duck Hunting the cold marshes while the others keep camp warm.

If you ever wanna come have a great Duck or Goose Hunt without all the snow, come on down to Central Flyway Outfitters. You just have to sign an Alligator waiver. lol
Lol hunting ducks with alligators for boat mates....
Yikes that's scary haha

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:12 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Minneguy, I know you asked about the stamina but you also have mentioned that you duck hunt and goose hunt a couple times... If waterfowling is your primary bird hunt then you should strongly consider a lab.

I know all those folks with wirehaired dogs will say there dog pushes over icebergs, and some might do really well late in the year... But generations of breeding has made Labs goose and duck machines... That's just what I would do... I ended up with spaniels because they fit most of my needs and my hunting style
That's what has me hung up. I would say I do 40/30/20/10 40% of the time chasing geese in the field, 30% duck hunting from a boat, 20% wearing boot leather out chasing grouse and kicking up bunnies, and the occasional pheasant hunt. If I didn't do quite so much grouse hunting, or didn't do it at all the lab would be the easy choice, but I do just enough to make me think that a pointing dog would be really nice when the birds are sparse.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:42 am

So, that's 70% waterfowl hunting. If a lot of that is field and not water, the DD is an easy choice. Really, I've never had mine refuse icy water, she loves it. Nor does she ever shirk from the largest goose. BUT IF 70% of my hunting was cold water waterfowl, I'd be going with the lab.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:49 am

Well it's true that a dog bred for upland hunting (a pointer) will help with the grouse, if you're doing 70% waterfowling, a lab can do nice work on grouse as well... Remember grouse dogs are made by experience, not their breed. But ultimately it's up to you!

Minneguy

Post by Minneguy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:49 am

gonehuntin' wrote:So, that's 70% waterfowl hunting. If a lot of that is field and not water, the DD is an easy choice. Really, I've never had mine refuse icy water, she loves it. Nor does she ever shirk from the largest goose. BUT IF 70% of my hunting was cold water waterfowl, I'd be going with the lab.
What would you do if it was an almost even split between field and cold water? I have heard awesome things about DD in the cold weather, but I am thinking it would be a disservice to a pointing dog to be stuck in a duck blind so much. Then again, I have never duck hunted with a DD so I don't know. if the cold is truly an issue I could always bring a heater with to keep the pup warm and dry it off. I also plan on getting a vest either way. When you hunt ducks does your dog stay pretty still in the boat?