vomits while eating

nanney1

vomits while eating

Post by nanney1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:52 am

One of my dogs has started vomiting while eating her food. Sometimes it hits the floor of her crate and she licks it up, and sometimes it stays in her mouth and she continues to chew. Very thick consistency.

My best guess is that she is inhaling her food too quickly and either sucks in too much air, or either gets a piece stuck in her throat. Then she regurgitates a little. Doesn't happen every time she eats, but enough times in the last month or so that I've noticed it. Maybe 7-8 times in the last 6 weeks.

Anyone have a dog do anything similar?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: vomits while eating

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:25 am

I'd start by talking to the vet but I'd bet you're right- eating too fast. Put something in the bowl - clean LARGE rock ? :) to slow down the eating. You can buy bowls with the centre raised to slow down eating.
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:43 am

Try a brake fast bowl or just put rocks or tennis balls in her food dish so she slows down.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:21 am

If you are going to use rocks---make sure they are big enough not to swallow or you might have more problems than just eating too fast :roll:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:17 pm

That's why I said ROCK, and not stones. You're right - make it a large enough rock to fill 1/2 the bowl :)

nanney1: You could also divide up the total food into 2-3 servings a day.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:11 pm

This sounds like it came out of the blue. I would go to the vet.

Did you change foods to something with a smaller kibble? Dogs eat smaller kibbles much faster than larger kibbles.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Happened before, but irregular. Then, a couple of times last week. And now back to back feedings this week.

Had a dog bowl that I could turn upside down and spread the food around. Tried that and slowed her down. She frantically nosed the bowl around but it took her much longer to eat. No vomiting. Will continue to see if that helps.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:32 pm

nanney1 wrote:Happened before, but irregular. Then, a couple of times last week. And now back to back feedings this week.

Had a dog bowl that I could turn upside down and spread the food around. Tried that and slowed her down. She frantically nosed the bowl around but it took her much longer to eat. No vomiting. Will continue to see if that helps.
Not a scientific study, but sounds like you found out what's causing the problem.:)

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Had the same issue with the wife's dog.
Started with a tennis ball in the bowl, didn't help.
Found she had an allergy to corn.
Switched food, kept the tennis ball in the bowl (she still eats too fast) and no more issues.

Best of luck finding a solution!

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:07 pm

I just add water to the food. They get to eat the food and extra hydration as well.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:22 pm

The root cause of our similar problem years ago was a wad of swallowed grass - it would wander around in the belly, blocking the food's entrance to the stomach periodically. Wouldn't show on an x-ray, but one day up it came and the problem went away. Good luck.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Use ofthe upside down bowl only worked for a brief period and the gagging returned as she figured out how to gulp with that bowl. At some point, I switched her food to something different than the other dogs. Turned out the kibble was smaller and seemed to help. I guess at some point the issue went away and I forgot about it. Later, I switched her back to what the others were eating and she has started back with the gagging and vomiting.

Picked up a puppy food that is a much smaller kibble than what she was eating. Mixed it half and half with the old with the new on top. No problem with the puppy food and then gagged when she hit the portion of the bowl with the old food. Maybe the smaller kibble will stop the gagging again.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Wow. Bizarro. Always something with dogs; sounds like you have discovered the problem.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:33 am

My old dog choked on large kibbles, but has no problem with the same food in the small breed ( small kibble) variety.
Have you looked into megaesophagus?

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:23 am

Haven't done anything other than what I observe. When she gets in too big of a hurry, she starts gulping her food instead of chewing. It seems to be a matter of how quickly she eats and whether or not she chews all of the the kibble or starts to swallow whole pieces without chewing. When she gulps, she seems to throw up whole pieces of kibble that seem to get lodged in her throat. She sounds like she is gagging and then up comes whole pieces of kibble, completely unchewed.

She does chew most of the food, but gets to going too fast and then inhales a few pieces in her rush. It's really annoying more than anything, although it could potentially be dangerous. If she was a larger breed, I would definitely be concerned about bloat, because of sucking in air.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:35 pm

I've had similar problems. I noticed you said "one" of my dogs. Do they eat together? Feeling competition and rushing? Do they eat in separate areas? Put her feed in a large shallow pan. I just spread the feed out on my concrete dog run floor.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:47 pm

She is fed separately from the others. She receives her food in her crate first. And then the two others are given their food. So she has a head start and is usually finished before the others start.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:31 pm

A large brownie sheet and spread the food out and feed elevated makes it harder for them to horde food
Can you tell if it gets balled up in her throat? If so check for Megaesophagus
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:02 am

Sharon wrote:Wow. Bizarro. Always something with dogs; sounds like you have discovered the problem.
Two years later :D