A little about you...

KyleandCharlie

A little about you...

Post by KyleandCharlie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi my name is Kyle I'm 24 and I'm from Conway, AR. I got into hunting duck and dove a couple years ago and I'm working towards training my dog, Charlie, to be my gun dog. He's a 2 1/2 yr old black lab mix. I don't know what other kind of breeds he is so I'm planning in getting a DNA kit for him soon.

rat

Re: A little about you...

Post by rat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:06 am

I am 65 years old and semi-retired. I do a little spending money work part time. I have a english setter and a american brittany. Trying to get in as much bird hunting as I can before I can't. Hunted as a kid with my Dad and uncle who both owned bird dogs when i was young and when we had wild birds here in Ark. Now I go to Kansas or Nebraska and hunt wild birds a couple of times a year and help guide pen raised bird hunts on a local farm. One of my dogs is not doing well and I will probably be looking for another soon if he doesn't get better.

Calpurnia

Post by Calpurnia » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:13 am

Hi, My names Bob . I've been raising English setters for 35 years. My current dog is Sophie. She is a great hunter and friend . she is used for grouse and woodcock. She retrieves well. She has been a member of the family for about 3 years. I recently retired. I worked for 35 years as a Park Ranger in the hills of Western Pa. I had 3 parks. One was an 80 mile hiking trail That ran from Ohiopyle to Johnstown. I also taught school for 34 years.

VizslaSniffer

Post by VizslaSniffer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:43 pm

My name is JR. I came across a 1.5 yr old Hungarian Vizsla a couple of days ago for free so I jumped on it. I have always wanted a pointer to hunt with, but things never fell into place until now. I had a lab that I used to pheasant and duck hunt with and she was really easy to train. Pretty much just drag a pheasant wing around the yard one time and she fell in love with it and that was that.
The Vizsla seems a little tougher to train than my lab did so I am looking to read posts of experienced handlers talking about their pointer training experiences.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jobiboy

Post by Jobiboy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:34 am

Hi! I'm a 41 year old single mother of 2 human girls, one baby boy GSP (Jobi), and one 15 year old cat(Lilly).
Currently, I'm a full time student, and raising up this puppy along with taking care of my girls. I don't hunt or shoot birds, but would like to learn about how to keep Job keen on his natural skills. We are in Nevada, and getting to know the outer landscape as quickly as we can. He has great recall so far and loves to explore. Hope to learn all I can from other members about the best way to keep him happy! Thanks! :D
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

Familytradition

Post by Familytradition » Mon May 05, 2014 6:58 am

I'm 30 years old and live in central Indiana. I'm a biochemist by trade. I have been around dogs and hunting my entire life. As a kid we mostly raised beagles and hunted mostly rabbits and deer. I grew up hearing the stories of my family's great pheasant and quail hunts and great dogs, but the birds were scarce my whole life. My graduation present from college was a pheasant hunt in South Dakota. I was hooked. A few years latter I saw 2 setter pups listed in the paper for $250; they were tomoka and tricky "bleep" bloodlines. An oops litter that the guy didn't want to register. I raised this pup and tried to train her myself. I did not find her near as natural of a hunter as most beagles. She points, but runs big and often out runs her nose and does not retrieve. Here I am 5 years later and decided I wanted another dog. Mostly find field trail dogs and many German shorthairs in my area. A breeder in my hometown has dogs breed with Shadow Oak Bo and his seem to do well in the field trials. I almost bought a shorthair a few times, but I really love the setters. Llewellin setters caught my attention as a dog that I thought I might enjoy. After convincing my wife I really needed to spent a lot of money on a dog and making a trip to get it; I now have my first llewellin.

green leader

Post by green leader » Thu May 15, 2014 6:58 am

Hi everyone

my name is Jason, i am a 38 yr old male, i live in Johannesburg, South Africa. i dont have any gun dogs as yet, and was hoping to use this site to obtain all the relevant info as to which breed would suit me the best, i am a hunter and have hunted most of Southern Africa's plains game, and have done some wing shooting.If i pick your brain to much please excuse me as i am a total novice with gun dogs.I am a digital printer and part owner of a branding company.

drich2244

Post by drich2244 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Hey everybody Im a 25 year old hunting outfitter in montana. I have 4 awesome EP'S soon to be 6! I love all kinds of hunting. its a toss up between chasing big game and hunting upland birds or waterfowl. ill say this ive never had a bad day of hunting.

msumo

A little about you...

Post by msumo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:28 am

22 year old duck hunter in south Alabama. Just bought a Boykin spaniel pup and wanting to train her myself. First time trainer so open to any advice on programs or equipment. Any help is greatly appreciated!

glock21csv

Post by glock21csv » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:01 am

Hi My name is Mike Sandoval im from El Salvador and i a proudly owner of male of 7 months german shorthair pointer i hunt doves,rabbits,armadillos,bobwhite quail,whistle duck and some migratory ducks that come to my country i love hunt whit air rifle and shotgun too
"The Guns Are The Jewerly of Mans"

Jason85

Post by Jason85 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:26 pm

I'm 28 years old. I'm an aerospace engineer by training and currently live in MD between Baltimore and D.C. with my wife and two dogs. I grew up hunting pheasant in SD, training and hunting my own yellow labs. Not much beats spending a cool and crisp November afternoon chasing pheasants with your family and friends (dogs included).

Three years ago, after our last lab passed away, my wife convinced me to get a Vizsla. She is a wonderful dog, very affectionate and was a breeze to train for obedience (sit, stay, come, heel). She received her AKC CGC certificate and passed her therapy dog certification with Therapy Dogs, Inc. Unfortunately for her (and me), I moved away from my old hunting grounds and got too busy with work and as a result I have never devoted much effort to training her for bird hunting. She has an exceptional nose and when we go out on walks I can tell that she would love nothing more than going on a real bird hunt. I feel guilty not getting her out and so now I'm trying to remedy the situation. Late is better than never I suppose.

I'm not sure how much pheasant hunting is available in the MD area, I suppose I'll probably have to go out of state for that. I'm also interested in learning more about the various hunt tests and field trial options, anything to get her in the field. Another unfortunate fact is that only one of her parents were AKC registered and so AKC registration and competition options might be limited.

Anyway, I'm glad to be a member of the gdf!

Bufkin.r.w

Post by Bufkin.r.w » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:21 am

Name is Rob,
I live in Massachusetts but am from California
I have a Female GSP that is about 3 or 4, I rescued her from a shelter when i lived in California.
I have hunted deer, quail, dove and pheasant but have never hunted upland game with a dog.

My dogs name is Jeri Lynn, she has a very high prey drive but loves squirrels more than anything.
Bought a Dokken trainer that she absolutely loves and have been working with her on pointing with some pheasant wings and a fishing rod.
But it is hard to keep her focused for more than 15 minutes on the pheasant wings. Any ideas?

Happy to be here on the Forum
Rob

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi, I'm Andrew. I'm a 25 year old male living in Central Minnesota. I work as a Rec. Therapist for a non-profit company so I spend most of my time outdoors. I've been hunting since I was little, and started wingshooting when I was 13 or so. That's about the time I got my first Springer. I got him as a pup and trained him myself. He was a great dog and mostly steady to wing and shot. He's since passed.

Now I have a 12 week old female Springer who shows a lot of promise. I plan to hunt pheasant, grouse, woodcock, and ducks with her. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

lobos82

Post by lobos82 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:10 am

fdsjr wrote:Tell us a little about you so we can get a perspective on who we are talking to. How old are you?? Male or Female?? What do you do for a living?? How long you been hunting/shooting?? What kind of hunting do you do?? What kind of dog(s) do you have?? How long have you had dogs?? You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like this??
My name is Eric, I'm 31 and live out in Arizona. We have one black & partly white GSP named Lola and a Dalmatian named Ollie. I have not hunted with Lola yet but it is something I'd like to eventually do. My main concern is getting her used to the sound of a gun without freaking out, preventing rattlesnake bites, and trying to keep a tight radius. (She's really extroverted, so she'll probably run way far out). Any tips on starting up training to safely hunt with a GSP? Any good trainers out in the AZ area?

Here is a pic of Lola flying over my camera with a ball.

dakotagun

A little about you...

Post by dakotagun » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:42 pm

Randy here in central ND. Hunt upland birds mostly, occasionally waterfowl; enjoy late season over opening day(s). Current gundogs include a 7yr GWP, Nikita, and a 3.5 mo old Brittany pup. Have owned two other Brits in the past, but the GWP is quite a hunter, too. Enjoy training the dogs as much as hunting the birds, and am learning more each time... Might get it right one of these times. Interested in trialing this Brittany - at least exploring it at this point. Looking forward to reading from experienced owners/trainers.

jwyoung97838

Post by jwyoung97838 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:02 pm

fdsjr wrote:Tell us a little about you so we can get a perspective on who we are talking to. How old are you?? Male or Female?? What do you do for a living?? How long you been hunting/shooting?? What kind of hunting do you do?? What kind of dog(s) do you have?? How long have you had dogs?? You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like this??
Hello I'm Joe Young,

I am 35 and have been married to a wonderful woman for 12 years. We have 4 beautiful children. I have lived in Oregon my whole life. I am an avid hunter where my season starts with a bow and transitions to the dogs and shotgun. I started hunting at 10 for grouse and quail. Our family dog was a deep chested long legged gsp of indiscriminate breeding. :-). After he passed we had a female golden retriever which was one of the smartest all around dogs I've ever been around. My folks and extended family had great quail ground in the Willamette valley and she worked blackberry cover like a tank and I can't recall a lost bird that she couldn't locate and retrieve. I moved to eastern Oregon in 2002 where the upland opportunities were much better. I was blessed to adopt a Radbach male gsp from a breeder/field trialer who was forced to retire due to health reasons under 1 condition, that I hunt the dog. That was not a problem. ;-). He knew more about bird hunting than I did and I learned a ton in the 4 years we hunted together. Unfortunately we lost him to bloat at 9 years old. I then purchased a female gsp from a breeder in eastern Idaho who has been a member of the family and hunting team for the last 9 years. She's a "good" dog. We get the job done. She shines on covey birds like chukars and huns but tends to want to blink on pheasant. She also retrieves anything "without" feathers in it which when chukar hunting isn't always the nicest down fall. Two years ago we adopted a 6 month old Llewellin Setter "Patch" from a local breeder that thought he had the pup sold twice. Unfortunately he was returned because both parties felt he wasn't "high" energy enough to make a sound hunting dog...boy did they ever misread this dog. He is quite simply the best all around dog I have ever had the opportunity to have. After we overcame some kennel blindness and he began to learn that he had a name we did some obedience basic command work and I dropped him in the field. He has a whole other gear. Long story short I'll try and figure out the photo stuff here and share some of our adventures. Nice meeting you all.

Thanks,

Joe
Last edited by jwyoung97838 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mydogisthesmartone

Post by mydogisthesmartone » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:12 am

Tell us a little about you so we can get a perspective on who we are talking to. How old are you?? Male or Female?? What do you do for a living?? How long you been hunting/shooting?? What kind of hunting do you do?? What kind of dog(s) do you have?? How long have you had dogs?? You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like this??

So the details are:
Brett
Own a small peach farm
My first pup, Ollie, is a Brittany currently 17 weeks, had him since 12 weeks
My good friend has a GSP and took me on my first pheasant hunt a couple of years ago and I was instantly hooked and finally convinced my wife to let me get a bird dog. We had a beagle before but he loved to chase snakes and got into a rattler in eastern Oregon last year. Another big part of why I wanted a bird dog is because my wife's family farms spuds and field corn in eastern WA so I get 1100 acres of fine pheasant/quail/(a few) Hungarian red land pretty much to myself. I can't go on a walk around their house at any time of year without seeing birds. I'm not into showing or field trials, maybe someday when I have time but between 3 kids (and 1 on the way) and a farm, I'm kept pretty busy. If anyone ever wants to get after any birds and they are in the Corvallis, Oregon part of the world let me know, I'll go with anyone at least once.

Willtacula

Post by Willtacula » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:56 pm

My name is Will, I'm 28 years old, I work as a Public Adjuster and am currently going to school at ASU studying Accounting. I have a wife and an 8 month old baby boy. I am new to hunting in general and have been bird hunting in Utah and Arizona a few times in the last 3 years. I had a boxer named Scout for 8 years but had to put her down last summer. We are looking forward to a new brittany pup that we will pick up in about 3 weeks, I think we will name him Boo Radley. I'm excited to have a new dog, and even more excited to get into the bird dog world.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:29 am

Willtacula wrote:My name is Will, I'm 28 years old, I work as a Public Adjuster and am currently going to school at ASU studying Accounting. I have a wife and an 8 month old baby boy. I am new to hunting in general and have been bird hunting in Utah and Arizona a few times in the last 3 years. I had a boxer named Scout for 8 years but had to put her down last summer. We are looking forward to a new brittany pup that we will pick up in about 3 weeks, I think we will name him Boo Radley. I'm excited to have a new dog, and even more excited to get into the bird dog world.
Welcome to the board Will! You will find a lot of good people with a willingness to help you along the journey with your new pup. Have fun with her!

chenke

Post by chenke » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:25 am

Hello
This is Casey 48 y/o from Northern California joined GDF on 7/5/2014 .
I started hunting when I was 6 with my dad ,My first dog was a Golden Retriever named Casey's Shady Sadie at age 11. since then I have trained many labs and competed in AKC trials. I moved to pointing dogs in the late 1990's and compete in NSTRA trials .
I currently have 4 English setters and am looking for a GSP that is heavily line bred Rawhides Clown if anyone happens to know of any one please let me know.

Casey

bgcole

Post by bgcole » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:56 am

Hi All - I think this is where Im supposed to post an intro - doesnt seem like i should start a new thread.

Im 29, male, in sales, live in upstate NY - married with two kids. My picket fence isnt white anymore because im too busy with hobbies to paint it.
I mountain bike and workout

I hunt mostly upland - pheasants, quail and grouse. I have a GSP that I just rescued out of a bad situation in a trailer park. He is coming around nicely as far as being a good citizen and family dog goes. about 18 months old. Really just loving on him right now, getting his vet stuff up to speed and some obedience - sit stay and come. Hes learning them quickly I have to say. Hes a total goof ball and ive fallen for him pretty quick. Had him around birds a little so far, hes interested... he pointed a robin in the yard, i know its not too big of a deal but it made me smile considered he came from being chained up in a smoke filled trailer.

I do want to get into duck more as we have some great areas not too far away. Goose hunting isnt really my bag, too "bleep" cold. I also think it would be fun to hunt rabbits with a dog - havent done so before...

Im pretty much interested in doing anything with my dog and/or family

Ben

Jimmy82

Post by Jimmy82 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:27 am

Hello all, I'm a 30 y/o U.S. Army Infantryman, stationed up at Fort Drum. Currently deployed, but will make it home with enough time to get some training done with my Vizsla Ariel before hunitng season starts. She's just about to turn two and has been getting some professional training while I am overseas. I've been hunting birds since I was 12. I grew up following GSPs, Weims, Labs, and Vizslas around the grass lands of Nebraska chasing Pheasant and Quail. Seeing as how northern New York doesn't have a sustainable pheasant population I have been hunting Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock, and I have even started duck hunting. Ariel is my first bird dog that I have owned, I wasn't able to own pets in the Army until I got married and moved out of the barracks. I wasn't orginally interested in hunt tests or field trials, but poking around a duck hunting forum and seeing the progress my little girl has made with someone that knows what they are doing has piqued my interest. My wife as agreed to add a Lab to the family too which will be the primary duck dog. Northern New York gets pretty cold and I don't want to risk freezing Ariel in a pond when temps start to dip below freezing.

Manley

Post by Manley » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:51 pm

Howdy all,
I'm a 44 y/o guy living in NW Houston/Tomball area. I work in the O&G business and enjoy the work. Married to a wonderful wife with no kids at this time. We have 2 quarter horses (wife barrel races) and 3 rat terriers. Over the past couple of years, while working in West Texas, I spent time with a co-worker and friend (Andy Anderson) who is passionate about dogs. He competes in NUCS events with several dogs. What initially started as a curiosity about gun dogs has now turned to an obsession of mine. Just in the last few months I decided to dust off my shotgun and learn how to shoot so I won't embarrass myself or more importantly my future hunting dog. Now I shoot NSCA sporting clays and compete in NSCA events here in Texas.

The next step was to find a quality dog to hunt and try NUCS. I spent weeks researching and looking at various sporting breeds. Inevitably every question and idea I ran by Andy. I also spent hours on this website lurking through all the threads. Ultimately I decided on a GSP. In the past I've hunted quail and dove. Obviously quail numbers have been down so I was focused on dove. Now that I'm on the Texas coast I also want to pick up waterfowl hunting. The GSP is the versatile dog I was looking for.

As luck goes, Andy shared a special GSP breeding (Spanish Oak GSPs) whelped in May. Just last week I picked up a beautiful 8 week old girl. Her name is Birdy.

Believe it or not my last name is Manley hence the login name. I'm sure to catch heck for it but at least my name isn't Womanley!

AZBuman

Post by AZBuman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:58 am

Hello all. I'm 34 active duty military living in Maryland. Don't have any dogs yet but actively looking. I've hunted over GWP in the past. I've been hunting since around age 10. Mostly upland birds with a little waterfowl mixed in. My last duty station was AZ, which is also home, and I hunted a lot of quail.

I haven't done any field trial work but once I get my new pup I am planning on joining NAVHDA and going through the testing.

Thanks and look forward to the wealth of knowledge on the forums.

Paul s

Post by Paul s » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:23 pm

Hello everyone,
New member here. I am approaching 60 years old. Work for myself as a hardwood floor contractor. Married for 35 years to a wonderful woman. We have 4 kids and 7 great grandchildren. I have hunted all my life and have bird dogs since I was about 17. Currently have 2 French Britts, Meg and Ellie. Never got into trialing or hunt tests until this past year. We did some hunt tests this spring and really had a lot of fun and met some really great people.
I live in central ma. I hunt in maine, ma. New Hampshire and Illinois.
Paul

WolfeMan

Post by WolfeMan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:04 pm

Hey everybody, WolfeMan checking in from Tallahassee, FL.

I've lived here more than half of my 36 years so some folks say I can claim this as my home town. I grew up farther south in Winter Park but got into dogs and guns up here.

I've owned three dogs in my life, the first two were "old dogs" by the time I got into hunting and were not interested in new tricks.

We lost those two to cancer a few years and recently adopted our newest family member. My wife and I agreed we didn't want any old dog and have been quite selective.

This is Moses.
image.jpg
Named for John Moses Browning. His name obviously has biblical connotation as well...Moses was a pretty good guy to follow into the water so I hear.

I'm as new to training gun dogs as he is to being trained. He spent the first 5 months free roaming a couple acres of fenced yard with his momma and sister. He's a very sweet pup with strong bloodlines but is as green as can be.

A friend pointed me to GDF as a great resource so here I am!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

benh906

Post by benh906 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:32 pm

ben and zig12.JPG
I'm new to the forum. I was surfing the forum hoping to find a VDD like-able breeder. I just put down my best friend of 9 years, and saw this site and was intrigued with the info. I'm going to need a new collar and liked the info. I'll continue to drop in and look around.. thanks.

Jason&Kirby

Post by Jason&Kirby » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:27 am

Hi, I'm Jason. 26 yr old (in a few days) male. Work as a Project Engineer. My wife and I have just recently added Kirby, a fox red pointing lab, to our family.

I've been hunting deer, turkey, coyotes, and small game for most of my life. In the past few years I have made the trip with family to South Dakota for some amazing pheasant hunts. Just recently have begun waterfowl hunting. And now making plans to do what I can for the conservation of the local quail population in hopes of sustaining a huntable population.

I joined GDF after reading some helpful threads on training and nutrition. I'm looking forward into joining in on the conversations and learning as much as I can.

See yall around.
Jason&Kirby

GSPtripp

Post by GSPtripp » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:52 pm

I'm new to the site!
My name is Bradley and I'm 29 years young.
My girlfriend and I just picked up our first GSP from the breeder earlier this week. I grew up helping an old timer train GSPs and I'm hoping the knowledge he passed on to me is still fresh. I am here to share my experiences along the way and pick up some new tips/tricks as well. Here is a picture of the new guy, everyone meet Gunrunner's Tripp the Traveler from Gunrunner German Shorthairs!!

mykh11

Post by mykh11 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:54 pm

Hey Everyone,
I'm Mike Hoffman and I live in Frederick, MD. I grew up hunting, fishing and skiing in Pennsylvania. I just adopted a Pointer mix puppy and he's learning fast! I have always enjoyed Wing hunting but never have the opportunity to hunt birds much. PA and MD are more for Deer. However, I am starting to hunt ducks and geese more now that I moved to Maryland. Enjoy and hunt safe!

moquinn11

Post by moquinn11 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:47 pm

My name is Mark O'Quinn and I am 57. I presently have one GSP that is pushing 10. My English Pointer died from cancer last year and I have not replaced him yet. I started quail hunting in Texas with my dad after high school and I am still crazy about it. I pheasant hunt in Kansas usually at least once a year. I leave the training and breeding to the professionals. I have always been an English Pointer man but my GSP has convinced me that having one of both ain't such a bad idea. I get them as pups, send them to a trainer, give them there head in the field and let them get after it. I don't like them under my feet.

Vispar

Post by Vispar » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:03 am

Hi Folks. I'm from Milford, Michigan, and I'm picking up a GSP puppy one week from tomorrow. I've been digging through old threads for training tips as I get ready to train my new companion for grouse and woodcock hunting. Thanks to everyone for all the great info. I look forward to being part of the community.

Dante

Post by Dante » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:49 am

Hi folks my name is Dante and I live in Cape Town, South Africa. I own a female Vizsla called Ema and she is now 2.5 years old. I am new at this and am very passionate about the sport of field trialling. I decided to join the forum as several of my friends belong to the forum and I am excited about the prospect of learning form people who are experienced. Apart from field trialling I am involved in wingshooting and hunt various species of game in South Africa with my 300 H&H and my Winchester 270.

Elmer

Post by Elmer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm a retired US Army first sergeant who is teaching school in Springfield, Missouri, I’ve got a small SpEd classroom for emotionally disturbed teens on the campus of Boys and Girls Town. I will be retiring completely in the next year or 2 and would like to train up a hunting dog. I grew up on a northern Iowa farm and have had dogs all my life, but I've never had a hunting dog, nor have I ever trained one, in fact I’ve never even hunted with one. I’ve done a quite a bit of researching and like the Small Munsterlander for what I want to do. Any comments on that choice are welcome.

40 years ago I was a good wingshot on pheasants back home and on Black Hills grouse. I’ve purchased a shotgun and am shooting trap, getting back into the mode. I want a dog for upland hunting but maybe also waterfowling if I get into that, I don’t know now. I’m 62, I don’t need a big running, far ranging dog (and I’m so new at this that I don’t know if that comes from breeding or training). I want a dog that will be quiet and easy going around the house. I want a bright dog who will hang in there and learn even if I’m not the slickest teacher in the world this first time around. And I want a male. I plan to hunt and to participate in NAVHDA activities and earn some of their recognitions. Sounds like a lot, but I don’t sit and watch TV too well, and you can only chase the old lady around the table so many times.

I have a request, there are about a million books and DVDs out there on training hunting dogs, does anyone have any recommendations or favorites that might help a newbie? Keep in mind total greenness. Or does anyone have any other tips to help get someone started?

Lastly, anyone out there from the Springfield MO area? I’ll buy you dinner to pick your brain.
Good to be here. Now I shall get off the soapbox, shut up, and listen.
If the dogs make you nervous, I can shut you in the back room.

Midwest_Transplant

Post by Midwest_Transplant » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:31 am

My name is Kyle I'm 23 years old, I work as an inventory analyst at an outdoor retailer. I've been hunting most of my life in the Northeast but just moved to the Midwest and am trying out more upland and waterfowl hunting than ever before.

I am working on getting my first dog, I will be getting a GSP in the next couple of months, and have been using this forum to try to learn training tips and everything there is to learn about raising an upland hunting dog.

seanm

Post by seanm » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:24 am

jan 26 2013 eburg.jpg
My name is Sean, I am a 45 year old male. I live in the Pacific Northwest, about an hour west of Seattle. For a living I manage an electrical contracting company. I have been hunting and shooting since I was 18, (previously owned a gun/fly fishing store). I do and have done most kinds of hunting at one time or another, big game, small game, predators, plains game in Africa, upland bird, grouse, waterfowl. I have four dogs, 3 1/2 year old GSP Tanner, 2 1/2 year old pointing lab Satin, 11 year old Rottweiler Jasmine, and 5 year old mini schnauzer Birdie. I have always had dogs, but these are my first bird dogs. I got Tanner at 7 weeks old as my first bird dog. I later got Satin as a "started" 6 month old, with hopes of mentoring Tanner with a professionally trained dog. I do not compete, we just love to hunt. Tanner and Satin live to hunt. All of my dogs are "house" dogs. Satins sleeps in her crate, as she loves it, the rest are on one bed or another.

banknote

Post by banknote » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:09 am

Howdy. My name is Ed and my young Golden male is named Ki (rhymes with sky.) We live on Sauvie Island in NW Oregon and like to hunt ducks, pheasants, and whatever else we happen upon in those pursuits. Looking forward to learning and sharing what I can here, so thanks for having me.

tyviegut

Post by tyviegut » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:32 pm

My name is Tyler. I'm 30 years old from wisconsin. Production manager at a metal fabrication shop. Recently rescued a one year old male GSP, his name is Dexter. Love bird hunting and that is why I picked him. Looking to train him primarily myself.

CARAWAY57

Post by CARAWAY57 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:00 pm

my name is Bob.57 yrs. old. I am married,4 children,3 boys(33)(31) and(28) 1 girl (6). I have hunted for almost 50 yrs. Quail,deer,and ducks. I have owned and trained dogs for 30 plus years. I live in southern Il. I have guided in Il. On hunting preserves and also in Mexico on wild birds. I am at the point in my hunting it's not the quantity of birds killed but the quality of my dogs work. I currently don't have a dog after loosing my 14 yr. old Llewelyn. I plan to have another one soon,probably a setter ( my favorite). I need to keep my hunting going and my daughter happy. She loves dogs even more than me. I joined to communicate with people like myself. Good luck and happy hunting.

jjlite1

Post by jjlite1 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:37 am

My name is John 45 years old I live in Michigan I have had many different hunting partners mostly labs and trained them to hunt grouse all turned out great IMO. I recently had 2 die of old age and couldn't see myself without a hunting partner and had been looking at the spinone since 93.Call it fate or whatever but I looked for a breeder online and they had puppies ready. One year latter here we are. I also have a GSP that turned out great but due to age he is retired. I have a full time job as an electrician and hunt and in the woods every chance I get. Also 3 little ones so I have become a weekend warrior of sorts. Great site and am looking forward to lots of reading and any tips I can pick up. This Spinone is only my second pointing dog.

BLINDSIDE

A little about you...

Post by BLINDSIDE » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:00 pm

My name is Jeff Turner and I live in West Melbourne Florida (an hour east southeast of Orlando). I'm 37 yrs old, married with two daughters (8 and 10). We have two GSP puppy's from different breeders (12 week old female and 14 week old male). Life has been pretty interesting since adding the pups to the family. Planning to train the female to hunt ducks. Looking forward to being apart of this forum.

mowermandan

Post by mowermandan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:57 pm

:lol: hello im dan my username mowermandan is from my new buissiness which is saw and lawnmower sales and repair ive driven truck for the last thirty years or so and just in the last month had to put down my 16 and 1/2 year old jack Russell who was my best friend. any way the reason im joining this forum is that I just put a deposit on a gsp pup, that ill be picking up 2 days after thanksgiving. ive had 5 other gsps in my younger years and now am starting with a new pup at61 years old. I have not had a bird dog in thirty years so im going to have to learn all over again how to go thru the training process. my jack Russell was an amazing dog, that was well trained and had a great personality. I originally got her because I wanted a smaller dog that could live in a truck with me out on the road and still have sort of a gsp personality. which I found she was like a gsp on speed but a great dog she was .she lived with me on the truck for 16 years well I opened my business in April and now im home everyday and can work with a bird dog again I live in eastern Oregon LA Grande to be exact and im in excellent pheasant and upland bird country and want to get back to hunting over a good ol gsp I spend most of my time off in the field, or up in the mountains hunting and have just discovered that we have a tremendous pheasant population, but the areas are so thick in cover its next to impossible to hunt without a dog. so here I am, and I hope ill make friends and get great help and advise on training my new pup thanks for reading ie listening to me ramble
mowermandan

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi -

I am new to hunting with a gun dog, not new to hunting. I've been hunting for overe ten years, picking it up after hunting with my grandparents when I was a boy.

Ginger is my Brittany, just over a year old and we are having a great first season. We've had great success with pheasants this fall. I did do my best training her over the last year, but on opening day I found out why people say Britts are turn-key hunters. I am so impressed with my pup.

my girl:

this afternoon:

anyways, I am looking to share information and learn more about bird dogs with other hunters. Thanks for taking the time to look at my post!

davidrdz2111

Post by davidrdz2111 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:12 am

David Rodriguez
29 Years old
Hunt for dove and duck in south texas
Own 1 GSP Puppy, new to gun dogs...

slgriff

Post by slgriff » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:36 pm

My name is Matt. I live in Saranac Lake, NY currently working construction/plumbing but am a chef by trade. I grew up in St. Lawrence County hunting, fishing, trapping, shooting trap, and any other sportsman's activity I could find . I got away from the outdoor lifestyle while with my ex-wife, but am now getting back into it. I am here to explore and research what I need to know to get a Wirehair Pointing Griffon in the next couple of years to hunt grouse, maybe some pheasants here and there, and would love to train it to help with some rabbits as well. I won't even start to think about actually getting the pup until I feel confident that I am prepared to train it responsibly. I welcome all tips on breed selection, training, hunting, etc. Mind open, mouth shut until I know what I'm talking about!

singlemalt

Post by singlemalt » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi, I am a 36 year old native Texan and I work in Quality Assurance at a regional craft brewery here in the Texas Hill Country. Been reading up on this forum for a while and now have officially joined up.

I own a 10 month old male GSP who was a "rescue" of sorts. His dam died days after birthing and the owner was left to bottlefeed the entire litter. They began to offload pups due to the lack of time and ability to care for them adequately. My pops is a vet. and one of his clients came in with a male and female from the litter, at 3 weeks, and they needed to offload one, as two was too much for them. This is where I came into the picture.

There certianly were challenges with a pup that young but we were able to work through them and I have a bond with this dog that I have never experienced before.

He has been with a trainer for 3.5 months now and I will be getting him back after the new year. He is growing into a great hunter dispite his stubborn and soft nature.

I mainly hunt upland (in Kansas and Iowa), dove, duck, deer, and the occasional/rare goose trip. That about sums it up for me. I look forward to learning from all of you since this is my first pointing breed.

singlemalt

Post by singlemalt » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi, I am a 36 year old native Texan and I work in Quality Assurance at a regional craft brewery here in the Texas Hill Country. Been reading up on this forum for a while and now have officially joined up. I own a 10 month old male GSP who was a "rescue" of sorts. His dam died days after birthing and the owner was left to bottlefeed the entire litter. They began to offload pups due to the lack of time and ability to care for them adequately. My pops is a vet. and one of his clients came in with a male and female from the litter, at 3 weeks, and they needed to offload one, as two was too much for them. This is where I came into the picture. There certianly were challenges with a pup that young but we were able to work through them and I have a bond with this dog that I have never experienced before. He has been with a trainer for 3.5 months now and I will be getting him back after the new year. He is growing into a great hunter dispite his stubborn and soft nature. I mainly hunt upland in Kansas and Iowa, dove, duck, deer, and the occasional (rare) goose trip. That about sums it up for me. I look forward to learning from all of you since this is my first pointing breed.

Wirehair

Post by Wirehair » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:18 pm

My name is Randy Hicks, 57 yrs old with 3 grown children, married and semi-retired but partner in a plumbing business in Enid, OK. I have hunted since I was 12yrs old with my father, brother, and friends. I recently bought a GWP pup with good hunting parents. I have been lurking here for some time mostly to learn what I can without bothering folks with repetitive questions. I am excited about the prospect of learning to train my own hunting dog and being to coast into retirement with a good companion and hunting dog. I have had my pup, Max, for 2-1/2 weeks and he is 9 weeks old. He seems to be pretty smart and we hit the fields around here every weekend with a friend and his beagles in search of rabbits. He is a bit attention deficit disordered yet but enjoys exploring and chasing the beagles tails. I will continue to lurk and learn what I can and once I have a specific question that I cant find the answer for, I will dive in and ask. Please be patient as I have never attempted to train a bird dog. Thanks for allowing me to join the forum.

SAMBU101010

Post by SAMBU101010 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi All. I am 48 and just returned to hunting after a 7 year hiatus due to the activities of my children being in all kinds of sports and activities. I work in Law Enforcement and live about an hour north of Harrisburg PA. Purchased my 1st Lab for hunting in 1990 (Kelleygreen Kennels when they were in PA) and have had labs since. My newest addition is "Max", who just turned 10 months old. We hunt pheasants, rabbits and grouse at times. Had a good fall training and hunting him and he is doing great. Not much else to tell you but after looking around this forum, thought it could be beneficial to become a part of it. Thanks...

DennisCanfield

Post by DennisCanfield » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:09 am

I am a college student, and for several years now I have been wanting to get and train my own retriever. I have been doing a lot of reading, I would like to get the dog at the beginning of summer and have it on the farm at home for most of the summer.