Tri-Tronics, Dogtra, DT Systems - comparisons

rottngrl

Tri-Tronics, Dogtra, DT Systems - comparisons

Post by rottngrl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:00 pm

I will be in the market soon for an e-collar. I see that the Tri-tronics are popular with the gun dogs, why is that? What are your thoughts on Dogtra and DT Systems?

Which of the three do you have, and why?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:14 pm

It is because of the way Tri-Tronics is spelled. D-E-P-E-N-D-A-B-I-L-I-T-Y, Tritronics. There are other good ones too. They are generally spelled a little differently though.

rottngrl

Post by rottngrl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:13 pm

Okay, so Tri-Tronics are the way to go, hands down.

:wink:

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:24 pm

I wouldn;t say TriTronics are that bullet proof. I have had to have the last two collars returned in less than a year. I have a 3 year old DT that has been perfect and a new Innotek that seems more reliable than the TT.

Just my experience, not that all collars will have issues but I hit two in a row and won't buy any of their stuff again.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:30 pm

Others may be less expensive, other people like other collars. But collars are not cheap and you do not want them breaking down just when you need them. You might get that from a Dogtra or DT, you will get that from a TT.

No I don't work for them. I have used the things since my first one in about 1981, and am on my third collar. Collar two was purchased in 1996 or 97, went 7 years before it needed a new battery, and never failed to function. Collar one was traded in last year, still working (on its third or fourth rechargeable battery), for collar three. I brought collar two, a Pro500, up to our hunting camp for my brothers and hunting partner to "borrow" because they have an assortment of Innoteks and Dogtras that somehow never seem to have all their parts, or are not working, or whatever, and then we have to chase their dogs which they do not train because their collars do not work when they want to train. I have had so few problems with them, except the 1981 model that had some minor "early technology" glitches, that I don't know what else to tell you.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:31 pm

jh, was that the new G3 or G2EXP? Was it you who posted a little bit ago about the initialization problem with additional collars?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:06 pm

I think Tri-Tronics, at least in the G1,G2 series is spelled "great ergonomics".

I use a TT for training and then have a 2-dog Dogtra Train and Beep that I use for hunting. It's better than the G1 TT that I have in that application.

I lost my TT transmitter hunting in the ice storm last year. It was out in the ice, snow and mud for 2 weeks till someone found it and called me.

It never missed a beat. I love that thing.

And, hey, get a G1 and if someone messes with you, you can always use it as a club.....

Best,

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:16 pm

Which of the three do you have, and why?
Dogtra 2200 NCP. Works awesome. Extremely fine tunable/adjustable rheostat. Great battery life/charge. Great range works good in our country. Nice size, clips right on my vest so extremely handy. Mine is 3y.o. with tons of almost daily use - no problemo.

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:00 pm

I have both TT Pro 10 G2 and a Dogtra 1800. My only grip with the Dogtra was with the reostate dial if you have to increase stimulation level it is near impossible to return it back to the same spot it was prior. Although it may not be that big of a deal I just dont like it. I also didnt like the length of the prongs, I felt them to be to long for most short haired breeds.

My TT has some new advancements that are only personal preference as to wether you will be able to deal with them. I have a 2 dog model and teh switch to change collars is easily changed accidently. They also changed the constant stimulation to more of a pulsing than a constant stream like the older models.

If I buy another collar I will be looking at the Sport Dog 1800. I just hope they will reduce the size of the collars

FWIW

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:47 am

I like TT, the older models like the Pro 500. The reason so many use TT, is that starting in the 70's, they really invented the modern e-collar. They experimented with them on everything from mules to autistic children. The training methods used today were developed around the TT collars. I have heard of some problems with the new G series; stick to the older models. These things are like a Mac Truck.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:50 am

I have TT pro 100 G2 and I love the thing. people who have the g1 models pick up my transmitter and marvel at the size, weight, etc. I bought it from Lion Country and was dually impressed with their customer service.

I also have DT Systems launchers. They were more affordable and have filled their purpose so far. I would like a more subtsantial transmitter/remote.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

rottngrl

DT EDT 100?

Post by rottngrl » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:19 am

What about the DT EDT 100? I found a pretty good deal on one. Has 2/3 mile range, even though thats more than I'd need, I've been told go for 1 mile range for reliability. What are your thoughts, does range have anything to do with reliability?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:29 am

I think the reliability they were talking about is just the range it will reach when there are terrain problems such as hills or what ever. With obstacles in the way the collars do not reach as far as advertised. I think the 3/4 mile one is plenty as it is more than you should ever need I would think.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:10 am

For the type of work you are doing wiht your dog any 1/2 mile range collar will do just fine.

It is repeated time and time again that range is irrelevent since you shouldnt be stimulating the dog that you cannot see. That and the e-collars or for training and reenforcing what has been taught. If you cannot know for certain what the dog is/was doing wrong then why push the button :wink: :wink:

gjw

Post by gjw » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:23 am

:o Hi, my 2C worth, me, I'll go with Dogtra any day. I've owned TT (very good unit - no real issues with TT), Innoteck (enough said - junk) and DT (didn't care for them, problems with stimulation fades in and out)

I've got the 2000 T&B, great unit, no problems what so ever, excellent battery life, beeper works with no problem (wish it did have a hawk scream), like the way you can locate and change modes from the TM, don't have to take apart the beeper (like TT) or restart like the DT. Very well built, rugged, stimulation levels don't rise or fall and plenty of level to choose from. Overall, this is the best collar I've ever owned, bar none!!!

Good Luck and God Bless!!!

Greg

EWSIV

Post by EWSIV » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:57 am

Dogtra and TT are the leaders in the market.

If you are going to multiple dogs daily, the TT Pro 500 is the choice of many, many pro trainers.

Dogtra has some nice collars especially for good prices right now if money is part of the equation. I am using a Dogtra 200 NCP Gold and cabela's has those suckers for 199.99 right now. Pretty good deal.

Sport dog makes some good collars also, and they have very good customer service from what I have heard.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:47 pm

I have a TT sport 50 that is about 10 years old still have it, I like TT products there customer service is excellent. I just bought a Dogtra 1800 I absolutely love the ergonomics of the transmitter and the selector level is not the typical Dogtra reostat, it has 8 levels of cont. and 8 levels of nick, and a 1 mile range. If I were you I would look at the Collar Clinic for maybe a re-conditioned model, they have various brands and sometimes run some specials.

Chip

rottngrl

Post by rottngrl » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:29 am

I found a Dogsport SportHunter SD 1200 for $239 CDN, + free shipping. Good deal?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:20 pm

I ended up getting the Dogtra with 8 levels, 2 dog and I am really liking it so far. Pretty uncomplicated which is what I like.
brenda

rottngrl

Post by rottngrl » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:46 pm

As if anyone cares, but I found a TT MultiSport under 5 yrs old, for $125 US. You can go wrong with that, can you? Transaction is in the works. I'm only jumping on this, cuz it looks like a pretty good deal, is it?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:45 pm

Hey, whadda ya mean. Of course we care. Now put it on yourself, give it a try, and then you can write about it on the "Above and Beyond the Call" thread in the Training forum. Or make a video and put it on youtube. We are waiting.

Just being a smart aleck. Hope it works well for you.

rottngrl

Post by rottngrl » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:34 pm

Wagonmaster wrote:Hey, whadda ya mean. Of course we care. Now put it on yourself, give it a try, and then you can write about it on the "Above and Beyond the Call" thread in the Training forum. Or make a video and put it on youtube. We are waiting.

Just being a smart aleck. Hope it works well for you.
Ya, I saw that vid-clip before, and I've seen bark collars do more harm than good as it frustrates the dog getting zapped for barking, then squeeling and again for jerking around....If I ever need to, I'd rather have the controller and get him for not shutting up when I hollar "shut up".

Since he's not been trained on the collar yet, and won't be using it for several months, I will be the one trying it out see if it works. I'll let you know how it all goes. Now who can I use as my guinee pig to test out the range? Any takers!??

PAHunter

Post by PAHunter » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:07 am

I usually try to buy the best quality product that I can, the price may hurt a little but I've found that a quality product is worth it. I have the TT Upland G2!

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:12 am

Do yourself a favor and do it on your leg. Neck is kinda stupid.

bklyn hunter

Post by bklyn hunter » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:27 am

i've been also looking and it's between the tt g3 upland or the sportdog 1850 only 25-35 dollar difference in price.i think i'm getting the sportdog and it has a lifetime warrt.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:41 am

Funny thing is I have had Tri tronics for years...I tried Dt and dogtra and sportdog and always ended up using my Tri tronics when the others let me down

I like the TT Pro 100 and the TT Classic 70 and so far the G3 isn't bad either for an average collar been testing it out

The sportdog I would hold off they have had some issues with distance and are supposed to ahve that fixed by summer time that was the final straw with me

I was asked the other day when speaking with Rick Smith what Tri Tronics does for me ...I told him they supply me with a collar I can rely on.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

hoffmann35

Post by hoffmann35 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:56 am

I bought the DT H20 1810. I really like it, no qualms yet. It is for sure waterproof which I like. Has the disc dial like the TT sport series, which is easy to use. 16 levels of stim, nick and constant. We will see if it passes the test of time, have only had it since christmas. BTW I don't know if it is just my collar, but do most have an undulating feeling when on constant?

Goosehunterdog

Post by Goosehunterdog » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:44 am

I like the Tri-Tronics and Dogtra. I prefer Tri-Tronics, it has one of the best customer services ever!!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:27 am

I traded my single collar TT for a three collar DT and both have performed fine and are very simuliar in their operation.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:33 am

I prefer my TT Pro 200 because I can go from low to medium to high or switch to continuous without ever looking down. Not looking down enhances timing which is the key to good corrections.

Best regards, Greg J.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu May 31, 2007 8:49 pm

Anybody try the Tri-Tronics G3 Sport Basic? Seems like a decent setup for $239 from Cabela's.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:10 pm

NJ GSP wrote:Anybody try the Tri-Tronics G3 Sport Basic? Seems like a decent setup for $239 from Cabela's.
I made the drive out to Cabela's tonight to do some "hands on" comparison shopping. It ended up being a tie between the TT G3 sport basic, and the Dogtra 200 NCP Gold.

I bought the TT. Why? For me it was decided by one word - The TT has a 100% waterproof transmitter & waterproof collar, the Dogtra has a water resistant transmitter, and waterproof collar.

To my way of thinking the transmitter is the most critical component, and I'm not afraid to go out & hunt in the rain. So "waterproof" was worth the extra $40.

I can't wait to charge this baby up & zap myself. :roll:

I also picked up a TT dummy collar, my GSP had it on within 15 minutes of my return home. :D

Terry

Post by Terry » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:59 pm

I have had the sport basic for about 2 months now. It found it for the same price as the sport 50 g2 i had bought about 8 months before that and it has been exactly what I want and need.

Phil Kelly

Tri tronics Pro 100 vs G3

Post by Phil Kelly » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Is the Pro 100 worth the additional price over the G3? I have one pointer, eventually will get one more. Bit of a leap in price, but over the span of, say, 5 years, it's not to bad. Need to convince by wife also.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:21 pm

I got my first TT in the 70's and have never looked back. I have upgraded a few times since but never due to equipment failure. I have never tried DT or Dogtra so I won't comment on them. I did get the Inotec system with launchers and backing dog.....it's a piece of crap.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:17 pm

rottngrl wrote:I found a Dogsport SportHunter SD 1200 for $239 CDN, + free shipping. Good deal?
I found a Sportdog Sd 1200 on clearance last summer for $149.95. I'm happy with it. 3/4 mile range, It holds a charge for a good 48 hrs. (I forgot to turn it off after hunting one evening) It worked fine all the next day. The transmitter dial can move easily in a vest pocket, so be carefull to look before using it. I have never had to go more than a 2 for anything. It is also expandable to two collars.

jager meister

Post by jager meister » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:40 am

i have the DT systems 1850 H2O trainer / beeper. It does not have the bells and wistles (or as many of them) as the dogtra ones but how many sounds do you need your dogs neck wear to make in the woods and if you get a reaction on "9" of 16 seetings why have 120 more to choose from...at least that was how I looked at it!!!

chukarguy

Post by chukarguy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:29 pm

I just picked up the dogtra 2500 t&b in the two dog system. Only had it out once. Initial thoughts Love the beeper built in to the reciever! Love being able to change beeper modes with the transmitter on the fly. 127 levels of stimulation, way overkill. I tested it on myself and I couldn't even feel it until around level 30 or so. If you like to hunt with gloves on it makes it difficult to switch dogs, with the little toggle switch at the top of the transmitter, you will have an easier time switching with the tri-tronics system. Wish it had a hawk scream as an option for the beeper.
You live by the river, you die by the river

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:38 pm

Have you had it out on the field yet?
some reports are you can't hear it as well cause the way you properly put on an e collar has the sound being blasted at the ground which people are saying somewhat interfers with how well you can hear it from any distance...

Be interesting to see what you think
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:17 pm

The beepers I've heard in the field seem pretty loud. Does it affect the dog's hearing? My dog's hearing is selective enough as it is.

I just use a small bell to keep track of location, and if it stops ringing my dog is either on point, or "using the facilities". :roll:

chukarguy

Post by chukarguy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:31 pm

Yeah, I'd say that is true to an extent. I did have out once and it is not as distiguishable as the tri-tronics models, so I would say that has a lot to do with it, since it is pointing down. I did hear it from about 150 yards out twice when my dog was pointing a covey, however that range might not hold up if I was on the other side of a ridge or something. I did notice that it seemed to irritate the dogs more than the models that sit up on top. But then again it wont be getting taken out when the dogs duck under a fence, or get turned off every 3 minutes when in heavy cover. ( i don't recall if the one that kept turning off was the tri, or the sport dog with the button on top next to the beeper ) I am still deciding if this was a good investment. I think it will take a few more trips before I decide........... Wanna meet in Kingman and see it for your self ! :D
You live by the river, you die by the river

ward myers

collars

Post by ward myers » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:30 pm

my first collar was a TT bought in 1980 sent it back 3 times
transmitter woulndt charge. i had a friend set it up 2 use a 9volt batt. in the trans. i sold it 2 buy a 2 collar DT SYS. 1 collar wouldnt hold a charge had the same friend replace a capacator in it.
but camping out for a week at a time & no place 2 recharge collars .
i bought a 2 collar INNOTEC. i buy a handfull of batteries keep them in the glove box im good to go & i have had it since oct. 1998
but im finding myself looking for remote beepers with the locate function.
my trainer has TT upland & there are not waterproof ,he complained
to TT they told him to use a hairdryer on them .
does anyone make remote beepers that you can slice onto existing e-collars ?
thanks ward

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:35 pm

tri tronics are waterproof have been for years now

and the new G2 series you can add a beeper which you can use as a locater

We have a lot of clients get the classic 70 and add a beeper the A on the intensity dial controls the beeper fro the tranmitter

they ahve come along way in the last years but even when i forst started with them whenyou checged the intensity at the collar those were waterproof units...my dogs went swimming in the canels with them no problem

Weege3

Post by Weege3 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:47 pm

Started out with Innotek Sport dog unit worked good but recently upgraded to Dogtra for the beeper didn't like having to big unito on my dog now have one small unit and seems to be working great he likes it and i like it never failed yet.

gusto

Post by gusto » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:15 am

well i used a tt field 70 for years before i bought my first set of collars. Thumbs up for for the field 70.
i have a dt 2100 that has been good, it did need a collar repair though after 2 yrs.
I also have a sportdog 1800 and that is what im recommending. for the money there fantastic and the trasmitter is small and has the ability of different configurations and you can even run 3 dogs if you want. it has been bulletproof so far.