Strap Vest?

codym

Strap Vest?

Post by codym » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:59 pm

What do you all recommend for a strap vest? I want something that is light comfortable big pockets for shells and easy to get birds in and out of. I have had an old strap vest for years but i'm tired of dropping shells and birds. I know lots of people like wing works, but they look super bulky and complicated. I was looking at the ll bean patrige 2 vest, but haven't seen any in person. I don't want anything stiff like waxed cotton or tin metal stuff.I live in southern NM so I can't go try all these vests on before hand so I'm likely going to have to order it.What do you all recommend?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Strap Vest?

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:48 pm

Wing Works II. Only way to fly.

Fithunter

Post by Fithunter » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:28 am

I have an old filson that I like ok. I was just at Cabellas and tried on their new strap vest and loved it. I can't remember the model name it was $99. I liked it better than my filson.

codym

Post by codym » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:09 pm

There's so many its kind of overwhelming. So far im considering wing works, q-5, ll bean technical pack, and a couple of the Pellas look pretty nice.

buddyboy

Post by buddyboy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Take a look at the Filson Mesh Vest, has 2 water bottles holders, and its lite weight, I believe the part number is 16022 and Cabelas sells it to.

nwnick

Post by nwnick » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:59 pm

WIngworks is the only way to go. Once you get it dialed in you don't notice any bulk.
Shells are right there, water too. Loading is just like any other strap vest, not too difficult
My Filson stays on the hangar ever since I bought my WW vest
My second choice would be the BirdNLite

outofrshell

Post by outofrshell » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:03 pm

I just retired my 20+ year old Mcallister strap vest and replaced it with a Pella BirdPack it is kinda like a strap vest/ back pack all in one. Very comfortable and doesn't seem to be any warmer than a normal strap vest. It has all of the features I wanted in a vest-back cargo pocket w/coat straps, large front pockets for shells and stuff,soft light weight material (hope it wears well), padded straps and easy to load bird pouch. Dave

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:29 am

Wing Works seems to get a lot of yea's...it does look like a good strap vest, but you might check your blaze orange requirement in your
State. The vest doesn't meet requirement in my State and I would have to supplement more than twice amount of blaze orange.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:46 am

Bucks bag chukar vest, the best in my opinion.
http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_cat.asp?id=27

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:30 am

Tried a Wing Works and it was just too much bulk for me however I am very much a minimalist in the field.

The WW is very well made using top notch materials & the layout/functionality is excellent with deep pockets etc. - overall a very nice vest.

I've been using one of these which are great - unfortunately it appears as if they have quit offering them @ Cabelas but thought I would share for comparison sake as well as an example in order to find something similar perhaps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:04 pm

I have a LLBean Technical Upland Vest Pack. I like it. I don't carry a ton of stuff, But pack a lot of water. I like the dual water bottles for the dogs and a bladder for myself. Room for some snacks, bird bag is good. Comfy to wear, Probably the one knock is the shell holder pockets aren't very big. Not a big deal to me personally, but if your the kind of person to pack 30+ 12 gauge shells it might be a bit of a problem....

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:24 pm

nevermind wrote:Wing Works seems to get a lot of yea's...it does look like a good strap vest, but you might check your blaze orange requirement in your
State. The vest doesn't meet requirement in my State and I would have to supplement more than twice amount of blaze orange.
You nan have orange added to it or what I do is to wear an orange shirt under it.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Wing Works for me!

Nitrex

codym

Post by codym » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks for everyones input, I think i'm gonna go with the wingworks.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Orvis makes a nice strap vest, it is a combination blaze orange mesh and tin cloth. I have had mine for 4 years now and it is great !!

Rob

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:40 pm

Pella makes a new bird n bag vest, made in the USA in Iowa, I am kinda digging on that vest right now.

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:25 pm

Wingworks is the best vest I've owned. The Quil was nice and so was the Dunns I had for years.
My next SV will be another WW