Uncontrolled Barking

jimssetters

Uncontrolled Barking

Post by jimssetters » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:02 pm

Looking for a good tool to stop out of control barking dog. This is usually one of the million cats that roam free through our neighbor that no one owns but like to feed. I want to keep my neighbors happy so i need to stop this problem. The Bird House DOES NOT WORK!!!

lahunter562

Re: Uncontrolled Barking

Post by lahunter562 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Chain gang and figure 8 from team hunt smith training, It does wonders with unwanted behavior. :D

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:07 pm

Not sure how either one will help my dogs stop barking when cats come through my yard. Can you explain please?

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:27 pm

jimssetters wrote:Looking for a good tool to stop out of control barking dog. This is usually one of the million cats that roam free through our neighbor that no one owns but like to feed. I want to keep my neighbors happy so i need to stop this problem. The Bird House DOES NOT WORK!!!
Kill the cat...just kidding of course. :) You are the tool. Your body posture, eye contact and voice will dictate to the dog. Show and they will respond and don't let up on it. :)
My two cents.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:20 pm

Pepper wrote:
jimssetters wrote:Looking for a good tool to stop out of control barking dog. This is usually one of the million cats that roam free through our neighbor that no one owns but like to feed. I want to keep my neighbors happy so i need to stop this problem. The Bird House DOES NOT WORK!!!
Kill the cat...just kidding of course. :) You are the tool. Your body posture, eye contact and voice will dictate to the dog. Show and they will respond and don't let up on it. :)
My two cents.
Are you kidding? :twisted: hahaha

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:34 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
Pepper wrote:
My two cents.
Ok...I am going to date myself..."They shoot horses don't they?" :)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:49 pm

A live trap works pretty well. I had a similar problem once and now there is not a cat in sight and there was no harm done to the strays.

Charlie

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:58 pm

I use an anti bark collar on my JRT . ( Bark Limiter Deluxe) Works great. Depending on how bright the dog is, after a week + , as soon as you put it on and no correction is needed.

examples: ( The real ones - e collar type with several levels.)

http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com/ ... y_s/85.htm

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Our dogs are not dumb. They know how and after awhile to control that. I have seen it first hand with howlers in the pros truck and when the first shot goes off. It is like nagging to them. They know and will tolerate the pressure to know ends for their means to have a chance to get to the line. It is like having a Taz in the making. The only thing you can do is to call it off and place your dominance on them. Doesn't always work that way though, but at least it is a try. Pros have their place for behavior in dogs like this.... Even with distractions like cats, bunnies or other dogs in the area. :)
My two cents worth.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:53 pm

Pepper wrote:
jimssetters wrote:
Pepper wrote:Looking for a good tool to stop out of control barking dog. This is usually one of the million cats that roam free through our neighbor that no one owns but like to feed. I want to keep my neighbors happy so i need to stop this problem. The Bird House DOES NOT WORK!!!
My two cents.
Ok...I am going to date myself..."They shoot horses don't they?" :)
Just once if you get caught.

Ammolist

Post by Ammolist » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:35 am

good post.

munireusa.com

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:13 am

Wouldn't a solid enclosure cure the problem??

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:21 pm

Pepper wrote:Our dogs are not dumb. They know how and after awhile to control that. I have seen it first hand with howlers in the pros truck and when the first shot goes off. It is like nagging to them. They know and will tolerate the pressure to know ends for their means to have a chance to get to the line. It is like having a Taz in the making. The only thing you can do is to call it off and place your dominance on them. Doesn't always work that way though, but at least it is a try. Pros have their place for behavior in dogs like this.... Even with distractions like cats, bunnies or other dogs in the area. :)
My two cents worth.

Not sure what you are referring to, but the anti bark collar has worked great for my terrier.

For the terrier before him , I didn't even need a battery anymore. Just put the collar on , and no barking.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:04 am

I'm with Sharon. The Bark Limiter (Tritronics) works really well. We started using them on the dogs left behind in the truck or on the chaingang. Never used to have a barker, but when one started she taught everyone to bark and/or howl. With the Bark Limiter, the correction is instantaneous and happens whether or not you are there. Otherwise, how do you correct problem behaviour when you are at work? Don't bother with the cheap pet store models, they are not reliable and you will end up wasting that money. BARK LIMITER = HAPPY NEIGHBOURS!

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:49 am

Put a figure 8 on him with a bark collar.

Db

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:16 am

I also have used the bark collar with great success. Once you start it, never put him in his kennel without it.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:35 pm

Yup, bark collar seems like the obvious answer

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Bark collar gets my vote, too.

atothek

Post by atothek » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:41 pm

For some reason my GSP has started to howl and bark when left in his kennel. I never had this problem before until recently (he is 15mo old). I have a garmin delta with bark mode. So this may be a dumb question but is it safe to leave it on him during the day when I'm away from home?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:08 am

I think you have both answers. Live trap the stray cats and deliver them to the local Humane society. Stray cats are disease vectors an leaving intact stray cats to roam about will only make the problem worse as they breed. More stray cats are victims of rabies than dogs...by a large margin. Stray cats are also pure death on any ground nesting birds.

Then, get a bark collar that is activated ONLY by barking from the dog that is wearing it.

I have two models of Dogtra bark collars. One(the cheaper one) can be activated by a kennelmate barking and things like thunder(I believe) the other will only activate when the dog with the collar on is barking.

RayG

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Do any bark collars work on howling and screaming?

I have a mother and daughter that have heredity for screaming or whining loud when other dogs get to run in training.
I have trained sisters to the sire of my female and now she and her daughter and a son scream like it is separation anxiety, but it always is when it is not their turn to run.
They have no problems hanging out in kennel if others are in kennel or hanging around the yard.

Is there a bark collar that will work is is this a training issue?