Zit like bumps

quackerjack

Zit like bumps

Post by quackerjack » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:09 am

My buddy noticed about 50-75 whitehead bumps on his 2 yr old gsp this weekend. There are a lot of BlackBerry bushes, stickers, and thistles where we have been hunting. She doesn't scratch at them either. They pop just like a whitehead. He thinks it may be an allergic reaction to change in feed. Which he changed for a couple days last weekend. Any thoughts?
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: Zit like bumps

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me but it's tough to say over the net. I had a pup that was real loose, we were traveling so I stopped and got some minute rice and she looked like a porcupinn the next morning. The preservative in the minute rice caused hives.

Flmedic

Post by Flmedic » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:09 pm

My English Pointer has had 2 different episoides of something like you have discribed but they appear to be puss filled, we have hunted 2 different places, but it only seems to happen after he runs a lot, any treatment idea's without taking him to the vet? I am attaching a couple of pictures. He gets it under his front and back legs... anyone ever seen this?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

northUpland

Post by northUpland » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:46 pm

I have only seen that same type of dog skin reaction(zit,puss etc) from fire ant bites in the south, but you guys posting are so far north for that type of thing. I am very curious to hear for any other poster as to what it could be.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Maybe Poison Ivey, Oak or Sumac?

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:47 pm

Staph infection

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:10 pm

My dog has had staph infections and just pustules after a hard run. It's my understanding that staph is usually also paired with inflammation (redness and/or heat and swelling). My male has similar pustules a few days after a hard run thu the woods where he gets good and scuffed up.

I wash his underside with dial soap and it's usually gone in a day or so.

Dogs dont react to the oils in poison ivy and others like we do.

Now that's just me and what works up in NE Ohio for my dog.
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks for the responses. Those pictures look very similar to her bumps. Things are looking better after getting her back on her normal feed and bathing after hunting through the brush. Thanks again!
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 am

We had a foster with those bumps. They gave her an antihistamine type shot and they went away for 6 weeks. Then we medicated with Benadryl if they flared back up.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 am

Not saying this is the OP's case but dogs CAN get poison Ivy. The skin gets red and bumpy and sometimes contain puss and can lead to vomiting and diarrhea.

In any case I would try the Benadryl suggestion.

jspring011

Post by jspring011 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:42 am

My dog has gotten a flare up like these (bumps that look like whiteheads) on her stomach twice in the last week. Both times were after I had her wear a Cabela's Ripstop vest. Has anyone else seen or heard of dogs being allergic to a certain fabric/material?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Common at 5-8 months just like human teens. I don't know about 2 years of age.( I'm betting on a staph infection - see the vet.)

Caesar Milan has the best link:

https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=n ... head+bumps
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jspring011

Post by jspring011 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:38 pm

I don't think they're a type of pimple...they look more like an allergic reaction. She's two years old and I've never noticed anything like this before. But she's flared up on her belly and chest twice in the past week. Each time she had on the cabelas ripstop vest and the flare up seemed to go away after a bath and about a day.

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:06 pm

My young brit had the a reaction that looks to be the samething down here in LA, I thought it had to be fire ants even had a vet tell me that is was.... however at about 5-6 months i moved to new place stopped taking my dog to a certian area to run and train and wouldn't you know it the reaction went away. One day after I had moved I was in the area and let her run... bamn the reaction came back. She has been bitten by plenty of ants since in and hasn't reacted in that way at all... the area where I had been taking her had a pretty high concentration of poison ivy and plants that could cause skin reactions so i felt confident saying that was likly the cause, havent been back since and haven't had a problem either.

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Doc E wrote:Staph infection

What causes a staph infection? I just noticed similar bumps, some with whiteheads on my dogs underside. She did run through a kinda of swampy area this weekend. I also ran out of her normal food. The feed store was also out. I had a small bag of something else here that she's been eating. I'm going to try to locate her normal kibble somewhere else tomorrow.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:01 pm

RYNO wrote:
Doc E wrote:Staph infection

What causes a staph infection? I just noticed similar bumps, some with whiteheads on my dogs underside. She did run through a kinda of swampy area this weekend. I also ran out of her normal food. The feed store was also out. I had a small bag of something else here that she's been eating. I'm going to try to locate her normal kibble somewhere else tomorrow.

It isn't the food.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:26 pm

As Ezzy said. Staph infection caused by bacteria. When ever you see yellow pus you have an infection that needs an antibiotic. (I am not a vet.) Very common with dogs that work in the bush/woods etc. as are other problems. Not common with Poopsie who sits on the couch. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:05 pm

Staphylococcus is a group of bacteria that are pretty much on all of us (and our dogs) all of the time. Wounds provide the opportunity for Staph bacteria to cause infections. So your dog could have a staph infection, but some other injury or irritant to the skin was probably the catalyst for the infection.

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:28 am

Thanks all. They seem to be going away as quickly as they appeared.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:35 am

My dog had those once after a hard day hunting on a new property with extra heavy cover a few months ago. Zits all over her belly and the insides of her thighs. The couple I popped had pure white puss. Went away after about 2 days and the bumps never bothered her. I figured she was rubbing on something she was allergic to.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Sorry for not posting sooner. My V's get this almost on a constant basis especially the older one. Yes it is not food related, just a reaction to vegetation. I have used Technu which is a poison ivy scrub. Follow directions and do it after they get done in the field. The stuff works.