Become Bird Dog Trainer

BirddogVoodoo

Become Bird Dog Trainer

Post by BirddogVoodoo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:26 pm

Is there a program or school you can go too to become a bird dog trainer? I know some one who recently opened up a business after going here http://www.usk9academy.com/trainer.html

How can someone with a passion for hunting and dogs do this besides the DVD and trainer blogs?

JAG06

Re: Become Bird Dog Trainer

Post by JAG06 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:03 pm

You have to train a lot of dogs(-: No school available..... Think either train your own dogs, win trials and make a name for yourself before turning professional. Or work for another trainer for very low wages for a while and learn that way.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:27 pm

or marry into the George Tracy family. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Sharon wrote:or marry into the George Tracy family. :)
Doh!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:56 pm

Many many many dogs! and consistently producing favorable results! And even taking some dogs on "pro bono" just to gain some experience with certain types.
Contact local shooting clubs look for opportunities to run your dog for dog-less owners, Guiding preserve hunts can and will open up opportunities. You will also have to decide what area you will specialize in Pointers or Spaniels, or Retrievers.They are not the same and you would do yourself and your clients and injustice to treat them similarly.
Go to different trials and see how the best pointers are run the best spaniels, the best retrievers. That's how I picked my first dog some 40yrs ago, i went to trials and spectated asked dumb questions and found the breed and style of dog I most appreciated. I hung my shingle out 30 yrs ago and have never looked back!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:04 pm

Thankfully , Training dogs require dogs :)
The Internet and e-commerce media although may appear to be selling this i'deal?...They never have the dog that belongs to the client .
Pretty much like all the diploma's ?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:31 pm

BirddogVoodoo wrote:Is there a program or school you can go too to become a bird dog trainer? I know some one who recently opened up a business after going here http://www.usk9academy.com/trainer.html

How can someone with a passion for hunting and dogs do this besides the DVD and trainer blogs?

You gotta do it. No other way around it. You need to train dogs to be able to train dogs. you can read all the books, watch all the videos...but you gotta go and put your hands on a dog, because it is a tactile thing. Apprenticing to a successful pro trainer is probably the best and quickest way to get that kind of experience.

But that is not the hard part if you wish to be a professional trainer. The dogs are the easy part. It is the human customers who will give you the most trouble. Guaranteed. :lol: :lol:

RayG
Last edited by RayGubernat on Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:27 pm

Contact Rick or Ronnie Smith, they offer not only 3 levels of their seminars, plus their DVDs, but an apprenticeship program. It will cost some bucks and take some time, but they will fix you up.

Alternatively, you can try to find a pro you trust and apprentice under them.

I do not recommend learning by on the job training without expert guidance, any more than I would for a medical doctor to learn that way.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Neil wrote:
I do not recommend learning by on the job training without expert guidance, any more than I would for a medical doctor to learn that way.

Well that takes all the fun out of it. So much for my medical degree.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:40 pm

I thought George Hickox was offering some long-stay schools at his place in Florida. Check out www.georgehickox.com

Nitrex

BirddogVoodoo

Post by BirddogVoodoo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! I was kinda expecting to be ignored lol. So I have a 4 year old Weim (though you would think she is barely a yr old) who has the drive but all I have ever done is teach her to sit and lay and a little used to guns. I'd like to see what I can do with her now but I'm not sure of the best approach since she is older.

I'm also interested in getting a new pup to start training if I feel like I'm at a dead end with the Weim. Any suggestions on material for either? Am I crazy for wanting to train the old Weim? I like to get the whole picture and I figured an "upland bird dog school" would give me the tools to succeed.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:09 pm

+1 on the Ronnie Smith Jr. Program. My dog was trained there this summer and there was a fine young man finishing up his training. He was in the thick of all the dogs training. They have a bunk house to stay in. Plenty of dogs of different ages, going threw the different levels of training. He and his wife Susanna are there to work with and give constant direction. By the time my dog went through their program, I had spent many mornings watching and working (with my dog), with both Ronnie, Susanna, and Jake. Made me want to go through their program. Too bad I'm an old fart in the medical profession.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:30 pm

Forget the seminars and find a pro that needs help caring for the dogs. Do a good job and you can move on to training under his leadership. Nothing beats apprenticeship as far as learning a skill.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:29 am

Why spoil a great hobby? Hard work, long hours, grumpy customers with unrealistic expectations and if you decide to campaign, long periods of time on the road living in a trailer. If you can get by all of that, the business has a long history and great culture and can be rewarding if your good.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:24 am

Keep in mind that very, very, few people are capable of being professional trainers. It is a very demanding job. Many of those that have done it have ended up alcoholics or with broken homes. Think about it carefully.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:18 am

So do you want to learn to train your own dog, or to train professionally for others?

If you want to train your own dog there are lots of books, DVDs, and seminars to teach you what to do and how to do it. Pick a program you like and stick with it. A four year old dog is definitely not too old to start with. It may behoove you to start with that one, because your first dog will fall victim to many of your mistakes...which if you are smart, will not be repeated on subsequent dogs.

If you are thinking of becoming a pro, you might want to go through the process with your own dogs a few times before you commit the time, energy, and money into something that is so dicey a career choice. Who would send their dog off to some guy who apprenticed under a pro but who never even finished his own dog? No offense, but really.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:26 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Keep in mind that very, very, few people are capable of being professional trainers. It is a very demanding job. Many of those that have done it have ended up alcoholics or with broken homes. Think about it carefully.
So very true. Can't explain the nexus, but few dog trainers have any measurable people skills, and way too many have suffered substance abuse. The long hours driving and in the saddle of the competing pro (with added inevitable truck and horse wrecks) take a terrible physical toll. Prostate, back, leg, neck, hip, and knee maladies are shared by nearly all, including hunting dog trainers.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:53 am

but few dog trainers have any measurable people skills
I don't completely agree with this point, although I agree with your post in general. The dog trainers that I know will tell you that training a dog is easy, it's training their owner that is difficult. A dog trainer that can't deal with people and their over the top expectations will not last long.

Now, I will agree that dog trainers in general, like a lot of other self employed folks would not last a day in some sort of corporate job.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Just going by the couple hundred pros I know well enough that they call me by my first name, all of them are more comfortable in the company of animals than people, it is what draws them to the profession. Now many of them are personal friends, and I can't think of one that I don't enjoy being around, but is is an acquired appreciation over many years. They are much like the ranchers and ranch hands I call friends, to say most are taciturn is understating it.

Now I have come to enjoy them, being more than a bit crusty myself. I like the no bs, tell it straight attitude.

But other than Delmar Smith and John Rec Gates, I can't think of any that would do well in sales, politics, or any of the professions requiring "people skills".

This observation is made with respect and great fondness. Actually we need more like them, the world would be more enjoyable.

P.S. Those that might know him would add Jim Heckert to the list of the affable trainers.

BirddogVoodoo

Post by BirddogVoodoo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:27 pm

The reason I was asking about certification program was because I didn't want to end up with a lot of different dogs and if I made irreversible mistakes, then it would be my fault and the dogs would be left out to dry. I guess I wanted to make the most of the training and turn something like my passion (hunting and dogs) into a side business as well if possible.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:28 pm

BirddogVoodoo wrote:The reason I was asking about certification program was because I didn't want to end up with a lot of different dogs and if I made irreversible mistakes, then it would be my fault and the dogs would be left out to dry. I guess I wanted to make the most of the training and turn something like my passion (hunting and dogs) into a side business as well if possible.

If it is a side business that holds some promise for you then here is one way to go about. And in the process you would be able to build some kind of reputation in your locale. You'll also learn if you have the temperament for this business as a career
Decide which style of dog you like best, Pointer,Retriever,Spaniel. Pick one to begin with. Then go out and buy a pup, rear and start that pup and then place adds to sell that pup as a started shooting dog, continue training the pup until you actually sell the pup. If the sale is not forth coming continue training until the pup is a a fully trained shooting dog. If you can do that you probable will have what it takes to be either a full or part time pro trainer, if not you'll have your answer for that as well.
Best of fortunes.
My first 5 yrs I sold more "spec" dogs than I took in from training clients but it eventually gave me the rep in my part of the world as the go to dog trainer and handler coach!
I cannot count the number of dogs I save from trash pile just by adding some value to their lives with some good training and finding good homes for them to live in!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:11 pm

gundogguy wrote:
BirddogVoodoo wrote:The reason I was asking about certification program was because I didn't want to end up with a lot of different dogs and if I made irreversible mistakes, then it would be my fault and the dogs would be left out to dry. I guess I wanted to make the most of the training and turn something like my passion (hunting and dogs) into a side business as well if possible.

If it is a side business that holds some promise for you then here is one way to go about. And in the process you would be able to build some kind of reputation in your locale. You'll also learn if you have the temperament for this business as a career
Decide which style of dog you like best, Pointer,Retriever,Spaniel. Pick one to begin with. Then go out and buy a pup, rear and start that pup and then place adds to sell that pup as a started shooting dog, continue training the pup until you actually sell the pup. If the sale is not forth coming continue training until the pup is a a fully trained shooting dog. If you can do that you probable will have what it takes to be either a full or part time pro trainer, if not you'll have your answer for that as well.
Best of fortunes.
My first 5 yrs I sold more "spec" dogs than I took in from training clients but it eventually gave me the rep in my part of the world as the go to dog trainer and handler coach!
I cannot count the number of dogs I save from trash pile just by adding some value to their lives with some good training and finding good homes for them to live in!

I think this is an AWESOME approach and solid gold as far as advice is concerned. I would still recommend some formal hands on, one on one, train the trainer type training in the beginning. That will assure to a large extent, that your first few training ventures will meet with enough success to keep you learning, growing and moving forward.

RayG

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:43 am

RayGubernat wrote:
gundogguy wrote:
BirddogVoodoo wrote:

Best of fortunes.

I think this is an AWESOME approach and solid gold as far as advice is concerned. I would still recommend some formal hands on, one on one, train the trainer type training in the beginning. That will assure to a large extent, that your first few training ventures will meet with enough success to keep you learning, growing and moving forward.

RayG
I agree with your assessment, however I would careful about piling to much information on the OP. His claim of having a passion for sporting dogs does not really match up with what he is doing with his 4yr old Weim.
Dog owners are like politicians "Do not listen to what they say, watch what they actually do"! There is lots of water around to lead them to and they still will not drink.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:48 am

My first job as an assistant was 700 a month room and board from daylight till well after dark. You will start out as a liability and have to prove you are an asset. Alot of happy go lucky amatures want to become pros till they find out how much work it is. I was very fortunate and got to move all over the country and work for some of the best in the business. A long road but I have experienced alot of life because of dogs, met some of the most amazing people and animals and for that I am grateful. :wink:
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:22 am

I worked at a kennel in Ca. where we ran 120 dogs in training. I don't remember how many dog lovers came and went that wanted to be trainers but couldn't "cut it". There is a huge difference between being a dog lover and a dog trainer.

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:24 am

gonehuntin' wrote:I worked at a kennel in Ca. where we ran 120 dogs in training. I don't remember how many dog lovers came and went that wanted to be trainers but couldn't "cut it". There is a huge difference between being a dog lover and a dog trainer.
See what you did...
The "dog lovers" worked with you for a week or so , quit, and joined PETA LOL!! :lol:

Gonehuntin-
Like your avatar pic, that must be a Grandchild (!?) 8)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:47 am

Yup!! Number one Grand daughter Swamp!

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:43 am

Where are you located