Anyone here hunt in Oklahoma?

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:34 am

Just checking, we have a lease near Waurika, wondering if anyone got out this past weekend?

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: Anyone here hunt in Oklahoma?

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Went duck hunting, but the private property I hunt in NC OK had quite a few quail whistling around sunrise. Not what you are looking for...

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:00 pm

I got out around the panhandle area and western border. Had fair luck. Birds are hard to find and quick. Let us know how things are in that part of the state.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:39 am

Will do, thanks for the responses. We had one guy that hunted Sunday morning for two hours and said he found 5 coveys. I hope these potlickers of mine can scratch out a few birds this weekend. We will be in the field Saturday, Sunday & Monday. Mule is ready with Slime in tires, fresh oil change & new battery, all the dog boxes are clean with fresh Cedar chips, dogs are in shape and the high temp for all 3 days is 47-49.

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:44 am

I will be in Oklahoma around Christmas and would love to let my dad chase a few behind by dog. Any chance someone here can point me in the right direction and public land opportunities within 2-3hrs of Edmond?

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:44 am

I live in Edmond and hunted private land in Quinlan oklahoma Saturday and Sunday. We covered a lot of ground and saw two birds. My previous three trips to this property-all since August, I never saw fewer than 8 covey with at least 10 birds each. Not sure what happened in the last month but looks like I'll be trying public land this weekend as I hear black kettle and packsaddle numbers are up.

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:40 am

I looked around and black kettle seems to be one of the more unanimous suggestions. Let us know how you do, and have you ever tried Kaw WMA, I hear the bird numbers in the north central part of the state are up this year and it didn't seem like a bad drive.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:06 pm

^I usually rifle hunt Black Kettle and have been spooked by quail flushing on more than one occasion so I know the birds are there but had never read up on Kaw until I saw your post. After doing a bit of google map studying, and reading online, I think I'm gonna give it a try within the next week. I'll definitely report back here and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:17 pm

I have hunted Kaw for 20 years, there isn't much management for birds there anymore. They use to stock it with pheasants and there are a few still around. Quail numbers in the best years would have been considered disappointing when compared to the western OK WMAs. There are some great looking areas and a few birds around, if I were driving from out of state Kaw would be very low on the list of OK public grounds to hunt.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Well dang, so much for that. Black Kettle/packsaddle it is.

Of course I'm sure any minute now i'll get a call from the landowner of my lease in Quinlan telling me about all the quail he's seen this week.

CCBIRDDOGMAN

Post by CCBIRDDOGMAN » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:19 pm

If I were hunting public, it would definitely be Black kettle.

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:52 pm

The aerial imagery of Kaw really looked like it could make a nice hunt but thank you for the inside information.

The map that pulled up on the Black Kettle area looks really fragmented and hard to read, how do you guys ensure that you are not trespassing? Just seems real easy to wander outside one of those units. Am I looking at the right map?

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/maps/ ... %20WMA.pdf

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:40 pm

I invested a lot of time in my black kettle research several years ago when it became apparent to me that finding good affordable land to lease for Deer hunting just wasn't going to be in the cards for me at the time. I studied the map provided on the Ok Wildlife site and then matched it up with a google earth image I printed of the area. As I visited each section I made notes in a notebook of which properties I liked most and what I liked about them terrain, vegetation, cover, etc. This was all for deer hunting mind you, but I noted the times and locations I saw other wildlife as well - including quail even though I only recently became interested in hunting birds. You will no doubt need to print out that map but as you get there, you'll see that most of the areas are clearly marked with Black Kettle signs and the aerial map is very accurate.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:52 pm

+1

The barbed wire fencing has green signs on them. And most private property have "no hunting" or "leased hunting" signs posted. They've dealt with this for years. The map is accurate. Most areas have a parking area and a sign with the number from the map making it obvious. Wear chaps or upland hunting pants or you'll get tore up. Also boots for the dogs. The goat head stickers were bad in some areas.

Good luck and report back with how you did.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:41 pm

I'm thinking about making the drive up there next weekend to Black Kettle. Anybody have a report for me on bird numbers in the area or any advice on general? Thanks in advance.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:41 pm

CowboyBirdDogs wrote:I'm thinking about making the drive up there next weekend to Black Kettle. Anybody have a report for me on bird numbers in the area or any advice on general? Thanks in advance.
A few shot up coveys left.....!

cr

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:50 pm

I'm assuming you know this.... 5 day non-resident license no longer good for quail as of this season.