Cephalexin for lyme

rschmeider

Cephalexin for lyme

Post by rschmeider » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Anyone have success using cephalexin for Lyme disease. Last time I was at the vet it cost me $450 visit with a Doxy script... I was hoping this will work if I catch it early.

dog dr

Re: Cephalexin for lyme

Post by dog dr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:12 pm

wont work. i do think you can use Amoxicillin though.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:23 pm

nope. doxy is the go-to for Lyme. I believe amoxicillin is used for Lyme in children, not sure about dogs. Different bacteria are susceptible to different antibiotics, so you can't substitute randomly.

I am really surprised the the doxycycline is so expensive though. My dog got a month of it this fall, and I think it cost us around $50 if I recall correctly. Maybe the bloodwork is what is costing so much?

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:51 am

DudeRN wrote:nope. doxy is the go-to for Lyme. I believe amoxicillin is used for Lyme in children, not sure about dogs. Different bacteria are susceptible to different antibiotics, so you can't substitute randomly.

I am really surprised the the doxycycline is so expensive though. My dog got a month of it this fall, and I think it cost us around $50 if I recall correctly. Maybe the bloodwork is what is costing so much?
I agree, sounds high priced. I picked up 20 100mg tablets last year and while I don't recall exactly how much I paid, I remember thinking "wow, that was cheap".

Good article, although it makes no mention of dogs: http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/di ... tment.html

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:11 am

Have the vet send the perscription through Wal-Mart. I think I only paid 175.00 for it.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:13 pm

LInks say not a good idea due to poor in vitro activity , but do some reading for more info.

https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=n ... me+disease
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:08 am

Thanks everyone for the info. My script was 150.00 and ER fee plus tests got me up to 450. My older GSP came up really lame overnight on both back legs. We thought it was a herniated disc.

I live in a high lyme area. I was hoping to catch this lyme disease before it gets to this point. My idea is to test the attached tick when i pull it of the dog. http://lymealyzer.com/ Never used it and did anyone this yet?

If the tick comes up positive . I was going to run the dog on antibiocs for 9 days.. Amoxicillin?

Doxy up in down in price in my area and at one time was hard to find.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Don't take this question the wrong way....but why not vaccinate?

And

Do you have ticks this time of year? I was finding them after we had a little snow on the ground this year and I thought that was very strange.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:09 pm

My vet says that if there is any green at all showing , there are ticks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Sharon wrote:My vet says that if there is any green at all showing , there are ticks.

Well that is certainly good to know, albeit a bit disappointing. Tough little bugger's for sure!

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Almost lost a dog on the vaccines.. Also,my good friend setter just came up positive on the vaccines

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:50 pm

rschmeider wrote:Almost lost a dog on the vaccines.. Also,my good friend setter just came up positive on the vaccines
I think you will find that is normal but doesn't mean they have lymes.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Many dogs will contract Lyme's that have been vaccinated. Not huge numbers of ticks here. We are in the woods a lot during Spring - Fall.
Use a topical & have had all vaccinated. All 4 of our dogs have had Lyme's at one point or another over the last 5 years. Vaccs. are not iron clad.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:19 am

rschmeider wrote:Thanks everyone for the info. My script was 150.00 and ER fee plus tests got me up to 450. My older GSP came up really lame overnight on both back legs. We thought it was a herniated disc.

I live in a high lyme area. I was hoping to catch this lyme disease before it gets to this point. My idea is to test the attached tick when i pull it of the dog. http://lymealyzer.com/ Never used it and did anyone this yet?

If the tick comes up positive . I was going to run the dog on antibiocs for 9 days.. Amoxicillin?

Doxy up in down in price in my area and at one time was hard to find.
did you get an actual lyme diagnosis?

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:51 pm

the lymealyzer looks neat, but getting a positive result for the tick doesn't necessarily mean it transmitted lyme to your dog. And I would want to be very sure about the dosing. Just doing a quick google search, you need to base dosing on the weight of the dog, and treatment is for more like 21-28 days, twice a day.

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:19 am

Dog Dr...Yes, PVSEC drew blood and ran levels on my older dog. He was back to normal in 3days on doxy. Ran a 30 day course.

Lymealyzer..Sitting in the medical kit..Most likely will get my chance this spring to use it.

I work outside and live to be outside.l get the dam thing on me more than the dogs...So at a recent trip to Med Express for a tick that I got on my back at work. I was showing a rash .They whiped the tick with alcohol and removed it..Then they gave me 2 doxy and said that will be enough to kill the bacteria if any.

??? If the tick comes up positive with the lymealyzer test, like to do the same..Do you think 2 doxy or 2 amoxicillin is enough??

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:12 am

im not a human dr by any means, but i cant imagine 2 pills would be enough to do anything. On dogs i do doxy 5mg/lb 2x a day, or amoxi 10mg/lb 2x a day, treat for a month. I know at least 2 people that had to insist that their dr test them for lyme disease; doesnt seem like they think its a big deal in people.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:02 am

dog dr wrote:im not a human dr by any means, but i cant imagine 2 pills would be enough to do anything. On dogs i do doxy 5mg/lb 2x a day, or amoxi 10mg/lb 2x a day, treat for a month. I know at least 2 people that had to insist that their dr test them for lyme disease; doesnt seem like they think its a big deal in people.

2 doxy for one day is what my Dr prescribed for me last spring as well. I will have to check how many mg they are. Thought they were 100./

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:07 pm

I think the difference in the dosing for dogs versus humans is that we usually get the dose of doxycycline after finding an attached tick, not a positive lyme titer. Longer term dosing of antibiotics is necessary if you get a lyme disease diagnosis.

Dogs usually get the antibiotics after they've started showing signs an symptoms, which can be a couple of weeks after infection and the lyme has had a chance to become firmly entrenched.

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:09 am

Let say you have a dog that was exposed to Lyme..Came up positive on the snap test..You had high levels with titer test..Ran 30 days of doxy..Ran titer again levels are down to minimal .

Then you find a tick 6 months later that got past the preventives..Came up positive with the Lymealyzer test..How would you handle it?

Dog is showing no signs.

Thanks again for your input

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:06 pm

it is a dilemma, isn't it? if you were pretty sure how long the tick had been on -- not engorged, or you find it right after coming out of the field, I probably wouldn't do anything. I'm not a vet, but I would think you wouldn't do anything unless the dog starts showing signs, and then treat with the standard 30 days of antibiotics.

whether you should treat the dog for a positive tick that you think has been on for more than 24 hours, I would ask your vet.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:17 pm

My vet suggested using Minocycline HCl 100mg. twice a day.

She said that she was having real problems getting Doxy and it was stupid expensive for some reason.

There is apparently no veterinary approval for minocycline use in dogs, but it is approved for human use.

Talk to your vet.

RayG

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:48 pm

I think you want to be real careful. You've invested a lot of time, money and love in your dog, you wouldn't want to have your trusted hunting companion to get chronically ill because you wanted to save a few bucks. I think you should get a very clear guideline from your vet -- the right drug, the right dose, the right frequency and the right duration and whether to give it at all. If you have that, and you can decide you want to buy your own antibiotics and give them following the vet's directions, you are on a better course. good luck.

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:28 pm

DudeRN wrote:I think you want to be real careful. You've invested a lot of time, money and love in your dog, you wouldn't want to have your trusted hunting companion to get chronically ill because you wanted to save a few bucks. I think you should get a very clear guideline from your vet -- the right drug, the right dose, the right frequency and the right duration and whether to give it at all. If you have that, and you can decide you want to buy your own antibiotics and give them following the vet's directions, you are on a better course. good luck.
You think im trying to save $$$...Lol

Maybe this will help you understand..http://www.hopkinsarthritis.org/arthrit ... treatment/

When you go to Med Express they are using this treatment I pasted above.
Why let the dog catch lyme disease. When you can prevent it.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:27 pm

no, sorry, I guess that didn't sound right. I just wanted to say I am sure that you really want to be sure that what you are doing is going to keep your dog healthy. which is of course what you are trying to do.

as you can guess from my user name, I am an RN and we get people all the time who don't take all of their prescribed antibiotics, or try taking a leftover antibiotic from three years ago against a cold, etc. just be sure what you are giving your dog is going to work, but you also don't want to overmedicate your dog. antibiotics have side effects, and overuse also promotes drug resistance.

good luck