Is glucosamine beneficial to my dog's teeth?

Garrison

Is glucosamine beneficial to my dog's teeth?

Post by Garrison » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:05 pm

One of my older dogs is beginning to get a little arthritic, I started him as well as two others on glucosamine msm pills that I cut up and put with their food in some water. I noticed that their teeth have cleaned up a lot, this is the only thing that I can think of that has changed with their diet or care. I used to give them something to chew on every few weeks but haven't had to for the last few months and they look better then ever. Has anyone else experienced this?
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

fourtrax

Re: Is glucosamine beneficial to my dog's teeth?

Post by fourtrax » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:07 am

Cleaning / brushing is beneficial to your dogs teeth. Also certain types of dental chew toys.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Is glucosamine beneficial to my dog's teeth?

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:27 am

Garrison wrote:One of my older dogs is beginning to get a little arthritic, I started him as well as two others on glucosamine msm pills that I cut up and put with their food in some water. I noticed that their teeth have cleaned up a lot, this is the only thing that I can think of that has changed with their diet or care. I used to give them something to chew on every few weeks but haven't had to for the last few months and they look better then ever. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have never heard of it having anything to do with helping teeth or bones. It does seem to help with joint health on some dogs. I am not sure what you can do for the teeth other than not feed soft wet kibble which tends to stick to them. I have read lately that the brushing has not really helped either. I do know you can do everything alike for your dogs and some will have bright clean teeth and others will have a lot of brown crud build up. Chew bones are the best thing I have found to help keep them clean. I remember my dentist telling me years ago that some people build a lot of plaque and others don't and he always thought the ones with the plaque had fewer cavities. This possibly makes some sense and can be connected to the acidity in the mouth
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.