Training an old dog?

Johnplesh

Training an old dog?

Post by Johnplesh » Sun May 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Just adopted a 5 yr old Weimaraner that's never hunted. Anybody think there is hope to train her? Any recommended resources to get started? I'm new to this.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430703718.819603.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430703764.884065.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meller

Re: Training an old dog?

Post by Meller » Mon May 04, 2015 7:48 am

Treat her as you would a puppy, (bird introduction, field intro, just as you would a puppy) and see how that works, that will tell you what needs to happen from there. :)

Johnplesh

Training an old dog?

Post by Johnplesh » Mon May 04, 2015 10:23 am

I hope to do so. I need a good book to follow first

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon May 04, 2015 11:37 am

Never hurts to try. Get yourself some pigeons and see if she has any interest in birds. Enjoy.:) ( Good on you for taking her in.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jczv

Post by jczv » Mon May 04, 2015 12:05 pm

I'd add the slight variation - it's the same stages as a puppy but you may need to go slower. Be especially careful when you get to gun intro, make sure the dog is completely jacked up about birds before starting, not just 'showing a little interest'. If your brand new to the whole hunting dog thing you may want to get somebody with more experience to help (if you post where you live you may get a volunteer or at least advice where to find someone).

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Mon May 04, 2015 12:55 pm

Started my first dog at the age of 3. She's insane over birds!!

Johnplesh

Training an old dog?

Post by Johnplesh » Mon May 04, 2015 3:16 pm

I live in western NC. Thanks for all the replies.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon May 04, 2015 8:54 pm

If the instincts and drive are there, she can become a bird dog.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon May 04, 2015 9:20 pm

birddogger wrote:If the instincts and drive are there, she can become a bird dog.

Charlie
+1. If it was there in the beginning it's still there. You might have to drag it out a bit but it doesn't just go away.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Tue May 05, 2015 11:11 am

Check out NAVHDA, they help you train your dog. Here is the chapter locator map http://www.navhda.us/chaptmap.aspx
The main website http://www.navhda.org/membership-chapters
BTW - Congrats on the "new" dog!

jczv

Post by jczv » Wed May 06, 2015 1:58 pm

John sent me a message that for some reason his posts aren't showing up. But he lives in Western Northern Carolina. So if anyone is in that area and either could help or point him in the direction of local resources (trainers, birds, training grounds, clubs, ...). I'm sure he'd appreciated it.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed May 06, 2015 4:53 pm

I've had many fosters over that age that have turned into good birddogs. Weims certainly can have some bird drive, but a lot of them do not (just like a lot of labs don't like to retrieve anymore). If the dog has any interest in birds, you can overcome most any issues. I recommend the Perfect Start DVD from Perfection Kennel. Good news is that is has excellent resale value as well, people are always wanting to buy a copy. Follow the steps just like you would with a young puppy. You'll want to invest in homing pigeons if you have the ability and location to keep them.

Johnplesh

Training an old dog?

Post by Johnplesh » Thu May 07, 2015 8:02 am

jczv wrote:John sent me a message that for some reason his posts aren't showing up. But he lives in Western Northern Carolina. So if anyone is in that area and either could help or point him in the direction of local resources (trainers, birds, training grounds, clubs, ...). I'm sure he'd appreciated it.
Thanks! Someone told me that the first few posts are reviewed by a moderator. I guess to make sure they're appropriate.

Johnplesh

Training an old dog?

Post by Johnplesh » Thu May 07, 2015 8:05 am

RoostersMom wrote:I've had many fosters over that age that have turned into good birddogs. Weims certainly can have some bird drive, but a lot of them do not (just like a lot of labs don't like to retrieve anymore). If the dog has any interest in birds, you can overcome most any issues. I recommend the Perfect Start DVD from Perfection Kennel. Good news is that is has excellent resale value as well, people are always wanting to buy a copy. Follow the steps just like you would with a young puppy. You'll want to invest in homing pigeons if you have the ability and location to keep them.
Thanks. I'll pick up that DVD. She is still coming about of her shell with the transition to our place. Very day she's getting more comfortable. Last week I threw a ball for her and said, "go get it" and she just looked at me. Yesterday I was telling my wife about it and she looked at the dog and said, " you don't like to fetch?" And one minute later the dog walked up to us with a stick in her mouth and promptly began fetching on command. I guess I wasn't using the right command, or she just likes my wife better :-)