Anyone ever experienced this on a hunt? (GSP kills Coyote)

RaiderZach

Post by RaiderZach » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:58 am

Crazy to watch this dog work over the coyote....

https://youtu.be/xYxxrH_2IKo

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Anyone ever experienced this on a hunt? (GSP kills Coyote)

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:33 pm

I have had my Britts chase and catch them but never witnessed a kill while hunting.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:17 pm

Couple points:

1) Not as uncommon as you would think, especially in my neck of the woods.

2) The dude is an idiot for taping it, and an even bigger idiot for posting it on Youtube.

RaiderZach

Post by RaiderZach » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:41 pm

GWPtyler wrote:Couple points:

1) Not as uncommon as you would think, especially in my neck of the woods.

2) The dude is an idiot for taping it, and an even bigger idiot for posting it on Youtube.

I wondered if this was against the law in any way? Seems he's putting his dog at risk but maybe I am wrong. If you have a trained hunting dog, why risk injuring him if you can avoid it? Seems like a big risk on your investment not to mention your loyal friend.

All that being said.... maybe I need to get a GSP to run with my red dog. :D

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:51 pm

As a coyote hunter, dog lover, and someone who considers myself an ethical outdoorsman.....I had a hard time watching that. Actually, didn't even make it till the end. So many things wrong with IMO.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Either the coyote had already been shot or was the king wimp of his species.

Grommet

Post by Grommet » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:01 pm

Doesn't seem like a smart idea to let your dog tangle with a mangy coyote. And I agree even dumber to post it online.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:50 pm

Never. I've had to call a dog off a baby antelope before.

With my current GWP, she is probably the least sharp dog in the world. She'd want to play with the coyote.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:35 am

That dog absolutely did not kill a grown healthy coyote. Had 85lbs grayhounds when I was young. A coyote tops out about 35mph. Most bird dogs are lucky if they can hit 30mph. No reason for a healthy coyote to hit the water. A healthy coyote will put up one heck of a fight with any normal dog that can catch it.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:51 am

Neil wrote:Either the coyote had already been shot or was the king wimp of his species.
Coyotes are the king of wimps, they lay on their back and snap their teeth. I do not like the dogs that fight them, sooner or later it will come out bad..................Cj

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:16 am

I need to introduce you to some Arkansas 'yotes, they are built and act like healthy German shepards. Not at all like the scrawny, disease ridden, cowards of my youth. Some speculate they are coydogs. I just know the ones that killed my ducks and chickens, and attacked my goats were not wimps. But they fear my Great Pyrenees and no longer come around. They are not that dumb.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:54 pm

Must admit, did not watch the video. No reason too. In all due respect, bad decision by the dog owner to allow this to happen. Bad decision on the part of the moderator's not to delete original post imo. Can't Coyote's carry rabies? Was the dog wearing an e-collar? Sorry, don't intend to offend anyone. I'm "just sayin"

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:14 pm

bossman wrote:Must admit, did not watch the video. No reason too. In all due respect, bad decision by the dog owner to allow this to happen. Bad decision on the part of the moderator's not to delete original post imo. Can't Coyote's carry rabies? Was the dog wearing an e-collar? Sorry, don't intend to offend anyone. I'm "just sayin"
I don't think you said anything. Why do you think it should be deleted?

Oh, yes, all mammals carry rabies.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:33 pm

As I said, just my opinion. Just don't see how it supports what I hope are the values of a sportsman. If the animal was injured in some way, he should have been shot. If no weapon was available, nature should have been allowed to take it's course. The owner of the dog showed little respect for either animal. Got to run, I'm late for the neighborhood "Cock Fight" :roll: It is my understanding that it was the dog that was the aggressor.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:20 pm

bossman wrote:As I said, just my opinion. Just don't see how it supports what I hope are the values of a sportsman. If the animal was injured in some way, he should have been shot. If no weapon was available, nature should have been allowed to take it's course. The owner of the dog showed little respect for either animal. Got to run, I'm late for the neighborhood "Cock Fight" :roll: It is my understanding that it was the dog that was the aggressor.
So you are saying all of the people who use dogs to hunt vermin are wrong? My dogs kill mice, isn't that just as bad. When I was in Kansas we hunted coyotes with dogs and the greyhounds would run them and our English Sheppard was the kill dog. Wasn't my favorite way to hunt but we did save a lot of lambs lives that the coyotes killed just for fun. I think you saw a good video of just exactly what the German bred GSP's and the GWP's are bred for and must pass the test to be considered for breeding. I think it is Georgia Boy that breeds and uses his terriers to do just what we saw.

RaiderZach

Post by RaiderZach » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:18 pm

bossman wrote:Must admit, did not watch the video. No reason too. In all due respect, bad decision by the dog owner to allow this to happen. Bad decision on the part of the moderator's not to delete original post imo. Can't Coyote's carry rabies? Was the dog wearing an e-collar? Sorry, don't intend to offend anyone. I'm "just sayin"
If I offended you by posting this video...my apologies. I ran across this video by happen stance following the YouTube rabbit hole.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:44 pm

RaiderZack, Thank you. You are a gentleman. If I am the only one that thought it was inappropriate, then that is something I will have to deal with. I really don't think I am.

Ezzy, Of course not. If that is the intent of the hunt that is an entirely different story. I would hope the owner of the dogs would take the necessary precautions to protect their animals. But, if I understand the situation correctly, if a dog happens to discover a wounded or sick animal, I would think the owner would have the common sense to pull his dog off, if for no other reason, to protect his dog. A mouse "ain't no" coyote. Unless you are participating in organized mouse hunt's with gun dog's. Now that is a hunt I would like to see. May be good for a Super Bowl commercial. I respect everyone's opinion. I hope you can respect mine.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:25 pm

bossman wrote:RaiderZack, Thank you. You are a gentleman. If I am the only one that thought it was inappropriate, then that is something I will have to deal with. I really don't think I am.

Ezzy, Of course not. If that is the intent of the hunt that is an entirely different story. I would hope the owner of the dogs would take the necessary precautions to protect their animals. But, if I understand the situation correctly, if a dog happens to discover a wounded or sick animal, I would think the owner would have the common sense to pull his dog off, if for no other reason, to protect his dog. A mouse "ain't no" coyote. Unless you are participating in organized mouse hunt's with gun dog's. Now that is a hunt I would like to see. May be good for a Super Bowl commercial. I respect everyone's opinion. I hope you can respect mine.
I can live with that

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:37 pm

We ran coyote hounds for years, many a coyote were dispatched by those hounds. You ever seen coyotes kill? It's not pretty.

Jim

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:41 pm

Ezzy....I appreciate your comment. I appreciate this forum! Now if we can just keep finding some birds on our trips to Kansas :D

tobytx

Post by tobytx » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:07 am

Coyote kill for food, our domestic dogs don't. They just do what they were put here for.

My dogs have never been able to catch a coyote and they always run away.

I have not seen the video but if it was injured and the dog killed it, am not sure what the issue is. better than letting it suffer. I try to keep my dogs away from some stuff but sometimes it happeneds when out in the field.

tobytx

Post by tobytx » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:55 am

Ok just saw the video, coyote seemed injured, young, or something. I would like a more sharper dog that would have killed it more quickly. It happens when out in the field with dogs, some are glad their dog will help with predator control

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:56 am

luvthemud wrote:As a coyote hunter, dog lover, and someone who considers myself an ethical outdoorsman.....I had a hard time watching that. Actually, didn't even make it till the end. So many things wrong with IMO.
+1

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:33 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:We ran coyote hounds for years, many a coyote were dispatched by those hounds. You ever seen coyotes kill? It's not pretty.

Jim
Didn't watch the video, but that's exactly what I thought.... The idea of dogs chasing and killing coyotes isn't the least bit odd or surprising to me.

I won't let my dogs chase them, but dogs kill many thousands of coyotes every year.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:28 am

displaced_texan wrote:
jimbo&rooster wrote:We ran coyote hounds for years, many a coyote were dispatched by those hounds. You ever seen coyotes kill? It's not pretty.

Jim
Didn't watch the video, but that's exactly what I thought.... The idea of dogs chasing and killing coyotes isn't the least bit odd or surprising to me.

I won't let my dogs chase them, but dogs kill many thousands of coyotes every year.

It is the manner that it played out. We run coyotes with hounds as well, and yes, there are times when the dogs will kill one, but we don't sit around with video cameras watching it for entertainment purposes. When we have a bayed up coyote, we get the dogs out of there ASAP and dispatch the coyote as quickly as we can.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:05 am

luvthemud wrote: It is the manner that it played out. We run coyotes with hounds as well, and yes, there are times when the dogs will kill one, but we don't sit around with video cameras watching it for entertainment purposes. When we have a bayed up coyote, we get the dogs out of there ASAP and dispatch the coyote as quickly as we can.
Bingo!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:20 pm

luvthemud wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:

Jim

It is the manner that it played out. We run coyotes with hounds as well, and yes, there are times when the dogs will kill one, but we don't sit around with video cameras watching it for entertainment purposes. When we have a bayed up coyote, we get the dogs out of there ASAP and dispatch the coyote as quickly as we can.
In Oklahoma it's most common that the dogs do the killing. I honestly don't know that I've ever talked to someone who runs coyote dogs that doesn't have them do the killing.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:30 pm

^
exactly. Many a yote has been stretched out by cur dogs, bulldogs, greyhounds, various mixed breeds etc. That said, not sure it's wise to let your bird dog make a habit of giving chase to yotes or seeing them as game - many a dog has given chase after wiley coyote and chased himself right into an ambush. Also the owner of this dog is an idiot for a multitude of reasons and might in fact be a bit sick in the head. I worry about those who seem to get some sort of sick pleasure from watching animals suffer.

mask

Post by mask » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:52 pm

If you actually hunt you are going to cause critters to suffer so we shouldn't get on our high horse. Things being killed by a dog should never be posted. The animal rights people don't need anymore help.

clink83

Post by clink83 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:45 pm

I don't know about you, but when I hunt I dispatch what I kill fast to minimize its suffering. I don't stand around videotaping it. Just more proof that there is a difference between hunters and killers.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:43 am

clink83 wrote:I don't know about you, but when I hunt I dispatch what I kill fast to minimize its suffering. I don't stand around videotaping it. Just more proof that there is a difference between hunters and killers.
Other than the part where he video taped it in bad taste, what was the guy supposed to do once the dog was engaged with the coyote? I wouldn't risk trying to get a shot off at the coyote at that point.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:19 am

41magsnub wrote:
clink83 wrote:I don't know about you, but when I hunt I dispatch what I kill fast to minimize its suffering. I don't stand around videotaping it. Just more proof that there is a difference between hunters and killers.
Other than the part where he video taped it in bad taste, what was the guy supposed to do once the dog was engaged with the coyote? I wouldn't risk trying to get a shot off at the coyote at that point.
Right on!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:51 am

41magsnub wrote:
Call the dog off maybe? It doesn't appear he's hunting coyotes.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:56 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
41magsnub wrote:

Seriously? I could possibly call a dog off of a chase, but short of wading into the water and putting himself in danger what do you expect? Some of y'all might consider pulling up your man pants and give it up. Ever since I bought my first GSP I have heard about how versatile they are. I have one who prefers fur to feathers, coons, possums, skunks and a fox, have all been parts of hunts over the years. Poor taste, maybe. Potentially harmful to the dog, sure, but that's a risk we take.

If you don't like it, don't watch, I have seen hundreds of coyotes killed by dogs, some stretched, by a pack, some killed by pairs, and many killed by singles. There are no laws against it, honestly it happens every day. I haven't watched more than about 15sec of the video, not because it is offensive, but because the dog did too much playing and not enough handling business.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Now I'm not a man because I suggested an alternative? Is this third grade?

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:58 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Now I'm not a man because I suggested an alternative? Is this third grade?
Sometimes third grade is wishful thinking on this forum.

Mike

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:33 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Now I'm not a man because I suggested an alternative? Is this third grade?

If that's how you took my comment then those skeletons are in your closet. My point is, it happened, if you don't like it don't watch it, if you don't want your dogs to tangle with a yote, then that's your business, the guy posted a video of something he was proud of, posting it here and beating a dead horse won't change it.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:37 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:

If that's how you took my comment then those skeletons are in your closet. My point is, it happened, if you don't like it don't watch it, if you don't want your dogs to tangle with a yote, then that's your business, the guy posted a video of something he was proud of, posting it here and beating a dead horse won't change it.
No skeletons here. I just read what you wrote.

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:12 pm

We can always run into problems in Texas ( javelina, hog's, coyote's, bobcat's, deer to mention a few). When running in open country, we always run with e-collar's. Just a thought.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:24 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
41magsnub wrote:
I agree. The dog does not look so intensely involved that he couldn't be called off. I don't recall hearing the owner ever once try to call the dog off, but maybe i missed it.If it was an all out dog fight, then yeah, obviously calling off or getting the dog wouldnt be an option. I assume that this was the ending of a long chase to have the coyote act that way. I bet the vast majority of people on this forum wouldn't have let it reach this point, much less videotaped it? Unless this GSP was raised to be a yote hound, but I find that highly unlikely based on the owners reaction.

The dogs around my parts must be raised wimpy lol! Have never even heard of a dog, other than one used for hunting them, kill a yote. Closest I have seen was last year when pheasant hunting we jumped a yote. Buddies black lab took off after it, but was quickly called off.

Do you guys who let dogs kill the yote while hunting save the pelts?
Last edited by luvthemud on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:26 pm

MJB64 wrote:
Sometimes third grade is wishful thinking on this forum.

Mike
Got that right. Even third grade classrooms have teachers that try to keep things civil and on track lol!

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:31 pm

bossman wrote:We can always run into problems in Texas ( javelina, hog's, coyote's, bobcat's, deer to mention a few). When running in open country, we always run with e-collar's. Just a thought.
And probably a side-arm. :lol:

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:11 am

hope I don't run into this guy and his dog I the field

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:10 pm

While hunting once with a couple of buddies, our dogs -- a draht, a GSP and one of my spins -- got interested in a brush pile. You could tell there was something weird about the situation. The dogs seemed uptight, then angry. Then a coyote busted from the pile, and the dogs gave chase. We managed to call all of the dogs back, but I have no doubt they would have shredded the coyote if we had let them go.

1gundog

Post by 1gundog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:33 pm

GSP is a fur and feather hunter. folks thinking they're only bird dogs shows ignorance, as far as the vid I wasn't there don't know don't care. If that made your stomach weak don't go hog or coon hunting with dogs. I'm surprised half the posters on this forum have real guns.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:45 pm

1gundog wrote:GSP is a fur and feather hunter. folks thinking they're only bird dogs shows ignorance, as far as the vid I wasn't there don't know don't care. If that made your stomach weak don't go hog or coon hunting with dogs. I'm surprised half the posters on this forum have real guns.
And how do you know they do? I think you will find everyone has somewhat different opinions on most things. The big thing is though it doesn't make them stupid or less of a man, just different. Seems quite short sighted to judge when you neither have the information needed to make a call nor the ability to know what is right. We all have opinions. I admit I tend to lean towards the unpopular opinion of today and find little shocking or un-natural about this, but I also lean heavily towards treating all animals with respect. Sometimes the line gets pretty fine and hard to see.

Ezzy

mask

Post by mask » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:42 pm

Dogs have been bred to kill things forever. This is not a big deal it is just another dead varmint.