Prescription Shooting Glasses

jfwhit

Prescription Shooting Glasses

Post by jfwhit » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:07 am

Any advice on prescription shooting glasses? I currently wear trifocals. Quail hunt. Any advice on brands? Need to see my Garmin Alpha when quail hunting with my Brittany. Any advice about lens colors, polarization, etc. would be extremely appreciated.

mask

Re: Prescription Shooting Glasses

Post by mask » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:37 pm

I guess one needs to hunt and/or shoot to have a use for shooting glasses. :lol:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:18 pm

I found amber to be the best all around color and the no line progressive better than trifocals.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:59 pm

I have a pair of sunglasses that were actually made for playing golf. They are progressive, unlined, a grey/green color, anti-glare and polarized. It turns out they have been great shooting glasses as well. I wear them shooting even when the sky is overcast. The frames are Oakley's. With the "golf" glasses the near vision portion is smaller and situated more to the bottom and center of each lens.l

FlyingDutchman12

Post by FlyingDutchman12 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:12 am

I've always been happy with this company's products.

http://www.decot.com
-FlyingDutchman
"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies." -Gene Hill

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:31 am

Online eyewear stores have been my best bet. I use Zenni. You'll need your prescription from the optometrist including PDs.

The choice of frames is endless and they offer lots of add ons like polarization and lens tint ( lots of differnet colors and shades). You'll have to check if they offer OSHA approved lens material, IDK.

I wear progressive lenses ( no line tris). In the past I've paid from $150 to $600 for eyeglasses. My last several from Zenni were under $60.

The darkest gray tint is good for very bright days, and amber at 50% tint works for me on overcast days. YYMV.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:16 am

Are you going to be able to easily see your Garmin with Polarization ? I know it's a pain on the fish finder screen.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:59 am

Probably not. I ruled it out altogether (polarize). I went with spot 4 sport glasses. Mike was helpful. I'll give a report when they arrive and what I think of them. I'll try to get to the range soon after. Difficult with job/family/heat. Then the true test will be during hunting season in western Oklahoma. Last season, one day would be overcast and snow, the next had 70 deg and blazing sun. No perfect lens tint for those conditions. My hope is to add lens when I can. So hoping I really like the frames and help with some birds in the bag. My dog almost told me how blind I must've been a few times. My vision is good from arms lenght in. Mike said they sit far enough away from the face to see under the glasses by looking down. This way I only need one correction of the lens. This will be perfect for me.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:40 pm

jfwhit wrote:Any advice on prescription shooting glasses? I currently wear trifocals. Quail hunt. Any advice on brands? Need to see my Garmin Alpha when quail hunting with my Brittany. Any advice about lens colors, polarization, etc. would be extremely appreciated.
I got a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket sunglasses with polarized progressive bifocals in their "trail" brown. They're as good out in the field as they are in the forest. We use a Garmin Astro unit that I have no problems seeing.

They are not inexpensive. In fact, they may well be one of the most expensive pairs of glasses I have ever worn. But the visual acuity, polarization, and tint are superb, especially for shooting.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:03 pm

I do like the post4sport glasses. Mike was right about being able to see under them. I'm going to like being able to see this next bird season. I went to the skeet range. I could actually see the targets sail off in the distance after I missed.

Litanee

Post by Litanee » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:29 am

I apologize for bump...just my two cents
Here's how it worked for me. that's exactly what I do for handgun shooting. I found that getting any sort of wrap-around lens in a bifocal was darned near impossible, and that a single-vision prescription was way cheaper than bifocal, or my regular variable lenses (which would probably equate to tri-focal).

I measured the actual distance from my eye to my front sight when in normal stance (5-inch barrel), and explained to my optometrist what I wanted: dominant eye (right) focused right there, left eye focused at a full distance. I'm on my third pair like that now, and they work as well as anything I've found.

For real-world handgun practice, I simply wear my normal small-lensed variables (spectacles got tiny, and short-pants got long; who can figure fashion). A 10-degree tilt of my head and I'm looking over the top of my glasses. I can see the front sight acceptably that way, though not crispy, the target will be a blur, worsening with distance.

This is where low-light training comes in. You use the flash only briefly, to identify the target. You flash, identify, extinguish, move, and shoot. Same thing--only simpler--with your regular glasses (assuming it's easy for you to look over the rims). Head up; identify target through a distance-vision portion of glasses at top of the lens; head down slightly to look over glasses and obtain best-case sight picture with a handgun, move, and shoot.

All will be blurry once you look over your glasses, however, as with the flashlight, you've accomplished a clear-target visual and can shift--so long as the shift is in microseconds--to a less-clear image of the target. But the same rules apply both for flashlight and old-guy combatives: You don't shoot what you can't identify.

That's why I asked earlier about your intended use. The two different single-vision lenses option like ESS https://secretstorages.com/best-shooting-glasses/ is fine for a conventional-sight handgun but is miserable for red-dot or holographic optics, or for iron-sight rifles.

Let us know what you decide!
Last edited by Litanee on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Lots of "bump ups" lately. Good topic to bump up. Bumping up the topic about a dog being sold 3 years ago is not a good bump up. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett