Using Boxers in Field Trials??

saml

Using Boxers in Field Trials??

Post by saml » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:12 pm

Has anyone ever heard of using Boxers in Field Trials? Not sure their attention span would work for it (squirrel) but curious if anyone has ever heard of it?

Gordon Guy

Re: Using Boxers in Field Trials??

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:14 am

Only specific breeds can be entered in specific field trials. Such as Pointing dogs, as defined by the sanctioning organization, can only be entered in Pointing dog trials. And Retrievers, as defined by the sanctioning organization, can enter retrieving trials. And Spaniels, as defined by the sanctioning organization, can enter spaniel trials. There are AKC trials for Hounds (Rabbit type) and Dachshund, go to the AKC website see link below

https://www.akc.org/events/

I'd like to see one of the trials for Dachshunds!!!

I believe there are squirrel hunting trials for Curs, not to be confused with mongrels or mutts. But again the sanctioning organization will dictate what type of dogs can be entered.

I've never heard of a "Hunting" trial that allowed Boxers to participate. I'm assuming you're asking about a hunting type trial as this is a Gun Dog forum.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:37 am

I've always found it interesting when a "non-hunting" breed produces a dog that turns into a bird hunter. We all hear stories of some farm mutt goes out with the kids to hunt with them and turns in a great performance

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:45 am

GG hit the nail on the head. There are no "field trials" for boxers as they were not developed for hunting (despite some of the breeds that went into making the original boxer). There are different types of field trials and they are all meant for a specific breed or "type" of hunting dog.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:30 am

I would think that if Mike Tyson, or Ray Leonard, or even Rocky Balboa wanted to enter their pointing dog in a field trial that they would be allows to handle their own dogs.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:25 am

The Versatile Hunting Dog Federation offers a hunting test (not trial) system for the evaluation of pointing dogs. I believe that there are no restrictions on breed, but the dog is expected to search, point, retrieve and demonstrate steadiness on land and water. Would you be trying to use the Boxer as a Flusher or Pointer?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:44 am

All day in the saddle I really prefer compression shorts or boxer briefs

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:23 pm

All day in the saddle I really prefer compression shorts or boxer briefs
:lol: :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:46 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:Only specific breeds can be entered in specific field trials. Such as Pointing dogs, as defined by the sanctioning organization, can only be entered in Pointing dog trials. And Retrievers, as defined by the sanctioning organization, can enter retrieving trials. And Spaniels, as defined by the sanctioning organization, can enter spaniel trials. There are AKC trials for Hounds (Rabbit type) and Dachshund, go to the AKC website see link below

https://www.akc.org/events/

I'd like to see one of the trials for Dachshunds!!!

I believe there are squirrel hunting trials for Curs, not to be confused with mongrels or mutts. But again the sanctioning organization will dictate what type of dogs can be entered.

I've never heard of a "Hunting" trial that allowed Boxers to participate. I'm assuming you're asking about a hunting type trial as this is a Gun Dog forum.

I've also never heard of a test or trial for boxers. Maybe they do agility?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eA8xRQclHk

Gordon Guy:

I used to go to "go-to-ground" trials GG. Great fun if you don't mind 50 barking JRTs etc. There is a long convoluted tunnel. At the end is a rat in a cage. There is an opening over the cage so the handler can grab up his dog. Rat ends up with a VERY long tail by the end of the day. :) You should go sometime.

edited for spelling
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:15 am

Gordon Guy wrote: I'd like to see one of the trials for Dachshunds!!!

They exist.