Hunting dogs with different range

kdave21

Hunting dogs with different range

Post by kdave21 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:39 pm

I currently have a Spinone who will be going into his second season this fall. He is a great dog and I am very pleased with him, as he done everything I have asked of him. Now I am starting the research phase for dog two. I am considering a 2nd spin, but I am also considering other breeds. Even though I love my dog and would not trade him for anything, I thought exploring other breeds would be interesting as I like variety.

Pudelpointers have intrigued me, and are high on my consideration list. My understanding is that PP's "might" range out farther than a Spin. My question is this: If I have dogs that range differently, will that cause issues? Dont get me wrong, my Spinone does go outside of gun range, he is not right under my feet. He might even range out farther as he grows older, I dont know. But he doesnt range out to the next county like some I have seen, and he checks back in with me often to see what I am doing.

I kind of think these two breeds would complement each other, but I haven't hunted over a Pudelpointer before, let alone had one with my dog...

Any thoughts?

kdave21

Re: Hunting dogs with different range

Post by kdave21 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:48 pm

A couple breeders I have spoken with have told me that you can always bring a dog in, harder to push one out... Maybe thats the answer right there...

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:33 pm

Hunting two pointing dogs at a time will be a benefit to you. Having one that ranges a little further will only increase your chances of getting into birds.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:38 pm

I have never heard pudlepointer and increased range in the same sentence before.

kdave21

Post by kdave21 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:42 pm

slistoe wrote:Hunting two pointing dogs at a time will be a benefit to you. Having one that ranges a little further will only increase your chances of getting into birds.
That would be great!
I have never heard pudlepointer and increased range in the same sentence before.
A breeder I just spoke with said his will range out, but will always come back. If he doesn't, he knows it's on point.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:10 pm

I usually have at least one that runs bigger than the other sometimes 5-6 scattered across 500yds, as long as the dogs are good with it, and don't race horse it can be very productive.
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

kdave21

Post by kdave21 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks for the feedback. I also spoke with Bob Farris of Cedarwood Kennel last night, and while we didn't speak long about it, he didn't seem to think it would be an issue.

I have a possible opportunity at a PP from a breeder in my state. The dog is from a good line and is a good opportunity. I am trying to decide if I want to move on it now, or wait until the spring to do something.