Why I Send My Dogs North

Neil
GDF Junkie

Why I Send My Dogs North

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:06 pm

mnaj_springer

Re: Why I Send My Dogs North

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:47 pm

I don't doubt you're right. I wish I had the time and/or money. But so it goes.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:00 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:I don't doubt you're right. I wish I had the time and/or money. But so it goes.
I have not had the time to go in years, so I send them, but it is the best money I spend to develop a young dog. I have never found anything else that comes close. Some offer special rates if you don't expect the dog to be broke.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Neil, I doubt special rates can accommodate everyone. But I'll hear you. What's the special rate? Or any of the rates?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:51 pm

Full fare is $800 - 1,000 for the entire Summer for adult dogs with the top pros, some of the younger guys will negotiate. For 1st year dogs or shorter periods about half that. The last one I sent was $450.00 for 6 weeks. Less than most boarding fees.

I am not selling anything, there will be no commission.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:04 pm

Haha I'll try selling that to my wife. I don't board my dogs. I take them with me. I don't stay at hotels either. I pay $10 a night to camp. I don't travel log distances to hunt, I scratch and peck on local public land. I am picky with my shots.

I don't do this because I think it's best, or because I don't like the other options. I do it because money doesn't come cheap, and bill collectors are ruthless. I'm not condemning you because you can, I'm just letting you know that some can't. Maybe some day. Boy, what I could do with $450, let alone $1000.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:45 pm

I have given up much to pursue hunting, it is a matter of priorities, many have reason to question mine.

I sure do not question your's.

Hope you enjoy the time afield.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:45 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Haha I'll try selling that to my wife. I don't board my dogs. I take them with me. I don't stay at hotels either. I pay $10 a night to camp. I don't travel log distances to hunt, I scratch and peck on local public land. I am picky with my shots.

I don't do this because I think it's best, or because I don't like the other options. I do it because money doesn't come cheap, and bill collectors are ruthless. I'm not condemning you because you can, I'm just letting you know that some can't. Maybe some day. Boy, what I could do with $450, let alone $1000.
I am not advocating for everyone to be short on money but it sure is good to hear someone else has had the same experience I have lived with instead of the constant banter about the best of clothes and boots, the best of shotguns, and the price of a pup being of no concern. Five kids and a stay at home wife makes money pretty short for quite a few years in the middle of our lives My tattered, blood stained Carhart bibs saw a lot of fields full of briars and my cheap blaze orange vest that both had to last for lots of years while the kids went to school made me appreciate how rich I was compared to a lot of people with the best of everything material.

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:38 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Haha I'll try selling that to my wife. I don't board my dogs. I take them with me. I don't stay at hotels either. I pay $10 a night to camp. I don't travel log distances to hunt, I scratch and peck on local public land. I am picky with my shots.

That's pretty amazing to me. Up here it $1000.+ a MONTH for gun dog training.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:52 am

I sent a 13 month old with a well known pro to ND this summer, cost me $1250, best money I've ever spent. She's now in KY being broke! I'll send another pup with him next summer if all works out.

Just no way to beat the exercise and bird experience they get!

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:55 am

My pup goes to camp every summer to get ready for trial season. Like Neil said, it is the best money you can spend to develop a young pup. This year I had two dogs at camp (ouch) but it is money well spent. I try (not always successful) to get out to camp every year for a few days to watch the dogs run. It's pretty amazing how much a trainer can get done, and how many bird contacts a dog will have. The article is spot on. The guys in the Prairies are a hardened bunch and tough dudes. I remember the first time I went out. After a day on the horse I felt like death, went to bed after all the lies were told and the beer was drank at about 11pm hoping to get a good night rest. It seemed that no sooner had I hit the sheets and closed my eyes, I woke up to the guys playing cards 5am ready to go again. Those guys are hard core and don't make near enough money for hard they work. I have some great memories from going out to see my dogs run at camp. It's an experience I hope every bird dog guy can have someday.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:17 am

I have thought about this over the years and had a dog I wish I would of- but for my life style my dog use doesn't end when hunting season ends. Late winter both my boys transition to becoming cross country sking Mt climbing boys- spring time thru summer they are either working out or back packing fools. Dogs now with the life style my wife and I have are always active- usually contacting birds most days and have become so much of a daily part of the family I don't think it would be good for my mental health to not have them at my side every day. I think both the boys would be better for it if I was trialing but I don't and I certainly don't need them to be any better in the field or produce more birds. The hunt with them now is just one of my lifes finest pleasures. Certainly think that what you are doing is a great benefit and worth it for your dog and your hunting though. Everyone lives and creates there own path.

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:12 am

I have not sent every dog that I have owned North, but I have sent some. If one seems to be 'special', I try to find a way to send them for one summer. I do the basic yard work at home. I try to have them broke on pigeons, by the time I send them. I also try to have them handling well and in pretty good shape. I feel that the trainer can go straight to work with them on wild birds if I have them to this point. Yes, it's expensive. I'm not a wealthy guy and I have to make some sacrifices in other areas.

I have done the math a thousand times and it works out something like this. I pay around $1250, for the trip. My trainer stays for about 2.5 months. I have discussed it with my trainer and I think that my dog sees about 300 wild birds on the trip. I live in an area that does not have many wild birds. It would cost me a fortune to travel enough myself to show my dog 300 wild birds, probably ten times more than I pay the trainer. I pay $4.50, for a pen raised quail. So, it would cost me $1,350, for 300 pen raised quail. I live approximately 20 miles from my primary training grounds. To use those 300 pen raised quail, I would need to make 50 or 60 trips to my training grounds. That is a total of about 2000 miles, or about $295, in gas. I also save $40 to $50 in dog food for the time that the dog is gone.

I fully realize that not everyone can afford to do this. There are certainly things that I can't afford to do, but I'm not going to criticize those that can afford to do those things.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:51 am

I have not sent a dog North ever. It is not that I don't want to, it is just not fiscally responsible for me at this time. One day I will get a dog on a string on the prairie. There really is no arguing the results of the wide open spaces and all the birds. They come back in top condition and strong bird finders.
Thanks for sharing with us.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:23 am

I am lucky enough to live up north. About 4 hours from where Rich Robertson used to come up and develop dogs. The prairies is where its at!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:35 am

ezzy333 wrote: Five kids and a stay at home wife makes money pretty short for quite a few years in the middle of our lives My tattered, blood stained Carhart bibs saw a lot of fields full of briars and my cheap blaze orange vest that both had to last for lots of years while the kids went to school made me appreciate how rich I was compared to a lot of people with the best of everything material.

Ezzy
These are choices that you've made so don't bash others for choices they've made that results in having extra cash laying around.

Lots of people work very hard to have what they've got and to get where they're today.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:48 am

AlPastor wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: Five kids and a stay at home wife makes money pretty short for quite a few years in the middle of our lives My tattered, blood stained Carhart bibs saw a lot of fields full of briars and my cheap blaze orange vest that both had to last for lots of years while the kids went to school made me appreciate how rich I was compared to a lot of people with the best of everything material.

Ezzy
These are choices that you've made so don't bash others for choices they've made that results in having extra cash laying around.

Lots of people work very hard to have what they've got and to get where they're today.
There is no bashing on my part but I do see some when someone says they can't afford something. Hopefully we all can allow others to do what they can because of choice or in many cases necessity due to economic circumstances. In other words listen and learn without judging.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:22 am

My dog is up north. He will spend around 30 days on wild birds. He turns two at the end of his trip. He finished 3 months training this time last year. I hunted with him averaging two days a week for the Quail season. To get into wild birds, I have to drive 6 hrs round trip. I work and have little ones. Me and my dog are the only two in the house who have no problem with this. So....... I found a way (through saving per month over the off season) to afford sending him with his trainer. $895. Once again, myself and the dog are the only two in the house who saw a benefit to this. My trainer and his wife say they return with a different level of maturity. I most likely won't do this again because of the expense or if I were to get another bird dog. But I felt I have been committed to his training and this is his last stage before I take on the responsibility fully with a good foundation. I do not trial. Only for my personal pleasure.

I totally get how money plays a huge part. I could have more highly trained dogs if my wife would just get a second job at Jiffy Lube!!

Looking forward to my season with a more mature dog. I'll try to post whether it was a good move and how much better he is.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:28 pm

I hope no one gets the impression that I condemn sending a dog to a trainer! I wish I could do this. All I'm saying is that in my situation, it's not a financial possibility. I, like many others my age, left college and entered the work place with MASSIVE amounts of student loans and debt.

Montana

Post by Montana » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm lucky..........I live here (Northcentral Montana near the Saskatchewan border). I keep a handful of pigeons for training, but 99% of the birdwork is on wild birds. there is just no real good substitute for training on wild birds.

Regarding the cost, where we spend our money, etc., we all make our choices in life... I'm guessing the joy of having 5 children is far greater than the enjoyment from pretty much anything else. We have 2 children and I've said many times that if I had my life to live over again the one thing I'd do differently is try to have a larger family.......

I chose to move to Montana many years ago (38 years ago)... I've never regretted the move. I certainly could have made more money living somewhere else, but money can't guy the lifestyle I've enjoyed here......

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:48 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:made me appreciate how rich I was compared to a lot of people with the best of everything material.
There is no bashing on my part but I do see some when someone says they can't afford something...in jother words listen and learn without judging.
I've parsed out the original portion of your post where you were judging, bashing, or whatever else you want to call it.

Also, I've taken the liberty to parse your reply and hopefully you heed your own advice.

Btw, this weird narrative that people are judging those with less is misguided.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:00 pm

You've been a member since Sept and you are already critiquing the Mod? This does not bode well for the future.

Postby mnaj_springer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:28 pm

I hope no one gets the impression that I condemn sending a dog to a trainer! I wish I could do this. All I'm saying is that in my situation, it's not a financial possibility. I, like many others my age, left college and entered the work place with MASSIVE amounts of student loans and debt.
Knowing you , no one would think that. I'm in a similar boat. Retired and have to make my money last in case I live to 100 ( hopefully not). :)

What we do with our money is about priorities as posted. I spend about $100. a month on coffee and donuts . Now if I saved that for 12 months I could send my dog. But then again............................:)

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:19 pm

RyanDoolittle wrote:I am lucky enough to live up north. About 4 hours from where Rich Robertson used to come up and develop dogs. The prairies is where its at!
That is a beautiful picture!

My priorities have changed big time over the past couple of years, age will do that - I'd send a dog in a heart beat and eat mac & cheese if I had to

AlPastor

Post by AlPastor » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Sharon wrote:You've been a member since Sept and you are already critiquing the Mod? This does not bode well for the future.
Why would this not bode well for the future? Are you calling him petty and vindictive?

It is just a shame that a poster (mod or otherwise) took what could and should be an eaay thread, without any potential for argument, and turned it into some rich vs. poor judgemental nonsense.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:21 pm

Good article. I suppose the title " why I send my dogs north" had a double entrande for some of our readers. The emotional response to " great photos, great tradition" was not the same. We know that was not your intention, pride and egos are hard to swallow for some people. Live your life and be happy with what you have and also be happy for those around you and what they have. Good article , thanks for posting.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:42 pm

AlPastor wrote:
It is just a shame that a poster (mod or otherwise) took what could and should be an eaay thread, without any potential for argument, and turned it into some rich vs. poor judgemental nonsense.
AlPastor, I don't believe Ezzy was trying to create that argument, although that may have been your perception. I think Ezzy was simply trying to say he relates to my experience. And let me tell you, it's nice to hear. You're newer, so you may need to go look at some other posts, but Ezzy and I don't always agree. In fact, we've had some heated debates. But like most here, he doesn't hold it against me as a person. Maybe he can do the same for you.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:08 pm

Sharon wrote:You've been a member since Sept and you are already critiquing the Mod? This does not bode well for the future.
Being a Moderator of a forum does not make one an expert or for that matter an advocate of any one post or poster.
Giving any form of future possible condemnation from anyone is well ?.............what ? ..A warning ?..A foretelling ?..or
? I personally don't want anything to do with .
I could be totally wrong ? and if I am I apologise reservedly . ..But it came across as a 'Smack down' .
Totally unnecessary in the context of the thread (imo) .
Neil, If you can do what you can do then do it .
Some can't ! ..That's life .
Hope you and all of your dogs are whoever you are are doing what you want them to do . If not ?..do something about it,rather than post it.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:13 pm

I do not send my dogs out for that training because you miss the best part of owning pointing dogs.
The absolute pure joy of watching a bunch of year old dogs run wild on the prairie and morph into bird dogs is something I want for myself not for a trainer.
I do not have far to go so it is not terribly expensive. You just about have to go alone because not many people can live like that especially if they can't shoot birds. My wife goes with me now, but there is not much shopping. Had to drive fifty miles to buy under wear.............Cj
One other thing. I could not do this when my seven children were small. The dogs I had then were hounds that and meat dogs. they helped us survive .....
Last edited by cjhills on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:21 pm

cjhills wrote: Had to drive fifty miles to buy under wear.............Cj
:lol:
I like your in-difference .
But hey 'Gas' is cheaper over there :wink:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:23 pm

Good read and beautiful pics in that article. Thanks.:)

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Wow. By the end of the article, in my mind, I was there.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:55 am

bonasa wrote:Good article. I suppose the title " why I send my dogs north" had a double entrande for some of our readers. The emotional response to " great photos, great tradition" was not the same. We know that was not your intention, pride and egos are hard to swallow for some people. Live your life and be happy with what you have and also be happy for those around you and what they have. Good article , thanks for posting.
I did not give the title a lot of thought, I was simply sharing what I thought was a good article from a prestigious periodical. The reaction took me by surprise.

It was not like I posted a story about jetting to the UK, renting a Range Rover, staying in a manor, then participating in a driven shoot with loader, my matched London best side by sides and gamekeepers handling the pick-up dogs, that have appeared in the same magazine. I used to work with a couple guys that did it every year, though invited, I choose to spend my money otherwise.