Question about first season with a GSP

Coach

Question about first season with a GSP

Post by Coach » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:38 pm

I have some questions about hunting my 7 month old GSP.

A little back history. Picked up a GSP puppy (Greta) at 8 weeks old this spring.

Spent a little time with the local (100 miles away) NAVHDA club. Introduced her to pigeons around 12 weeks old. Bird Crazy.

She gets along great with my 9 year old Gordon and our 5 year old boxer.

Natural retriever. Introduced to gunfire and beeper collar without any issues.

OK, now we are up to date. Pheasant season is open........what is everybody's opinion on hunting this pup all season? My Gordon is not real steady (100% my mistake)........unless the bird is really hunkered down and she will point, but likely take a step or two. I think I pretty much ruined her steadiness by shooting anything that she put up, points or not. I really want this GSP to be rock solid.

Greta is a dream to handle in the field........listens amazingly well. really no need for a collar at all. I have been running her in the fields before the season and have not been instructing her at all. Just let her run and not say a thing. Letting her gain confidence. If she is running by herself she stays pretty close and seems to really analyze very sent. With my Gordon she runs much bigger, but does not seem to be working her nose as much. She is not chasing the other dog.......so it is not play time.

So what is the route to go.....of course I am sure there will be different opinions. Hunt her? By herself or run her with my Gordon? Shoot only birds she points?

I know I am overanalyzing the crap out of this........

Any advice will be appreciated.

khaselow

Re: Question about first season with a GSP

Post by khaselow » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:42 am

Beautiful dog and great story.

Sound like you both are doing great.

I'm certainly no expert, but I believe the best situation would be to hunt Greta alone as much as possible during her first season. Not a lot of other dogs or other hunters to complicate the learning. Just you and her and she will progress quicker and become the solid dog you desire.

Sound like your doing all the right things.

Kent

Coach

Post by Coach » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:24 am

khaselow wrote:Beautiful dog and great story.

Sound like you both are doing great.

I'm certainly no expert, but I believe the best situation would be to hunt Greta alone as much as possible during her first season. Not a lot of other dogs or other hunters to complicate the learning. Just you and her and she will progress quicker and become the solid dog you desire.

Sound like your doing all the right things.

Kent
Thanks for the input Kent.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:00 am

Hunt her alone. And it is not too late to tighten up the Gordon. It has nothing to do with when and how you shoot birds, and everything to do with enforcing known commands.

Relax and enjoy,

Neil

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:14 am

Definitely hunt her alone until you are confident she wont pick up bad habits from your other dog, and to allow you to concentrate all your focus on her. Have fun!

Coach

Post by Coach » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:07 am

I am trying to not have any expectations. I am doing my best to give her as much wild bird exposure as possible.

Patiently waiting for the "Aha" moment when it all clicks!!

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:28 pm

After you get her going I would try to get the Gordon up to your normal standards to and you could have 2 great dogs

Coach

Post by Coach » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:52 pm

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:03 pm

In my opinion, your older dog probably can teach your pup a few real important things. I would take them together, and then hunt them separately if you get frustrated, so you can teach her the correct way to do some things that she is missing. I think that the most important thing is for you to get out and enjoy both dogs and the great area in which you live. :D

Coach

Post by Coach » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:16 am

hettmoe wrote:In my opinion, your older dog probably can teach your pup a few real important things. I would take them together, and then hunt them separately if you get frustrated, so you can teach her the correct way to do some things that she is missing. I think that the most important thing is for you to get out and enjoy both dogs and the great area in which you live. :D
Thanks!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:50 pm

I'd hunt her alone for season 1. Hunting her this early with another dog can hamper her independence.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

joachimt

Post by joachimt » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:50 am

Nice looking dog. has similar markings to mine!!

1st season hunt her alone and have fun. Dont shoot a bird she does not point. If she has a nice point, flush and shoot the bird. After the season then start working on steadiness. good luck and have fun.

Coach

Post by Coach » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks for the input guys. I really do appreciate it.

This is the first time I have had multiple hunting dogs, and I have not had a puppy for 9 years.

808allday

Post by 808allday » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:13 am

I was in your shoes last season and I hunted my dog as much as possible. It's okay if your dog isn't staunch on point. Some people might suggest not shooting a bird if she bumps or causes a flush. In my opinion, the bird is the best teacher. After a few times of causing birds to flush, the dog usually picks up it needs to stalk from further away, which would be your prime moment to command a whoa. Just my 2 cents, you know how your dog works better than anyone, do whatever sets your dog up for success. Good Luck!

Coach

Post by Coach » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:16 am

I have been hunting her alone mostly. My setter is on injured reserve right now due to a fight with a fence and needing stiches.

The pup and I have been out 2 times since that happened. Every time out she gets more bold and learns a thing or two about those wild birds. My main goal is getting her on as many birds as possible and not caring about what I bring home.

Last night was a great night. We had bird contacts on every walk. She point one rooster, but before I could get out in front of her he busted and I could not get a shot.

Next walk we had some wild flushing birds on some heavily hunted public land. I was able to connect with one and drop it in some tall grass. She was 50 yards away and was not able to mark it but came running to the sound of the gun. I pointed her in the direction and she returned with it seconds later. First wild bird retrieve.

At the next location we had some more wild flushers in a cat tail slough. I was able to connect again and she had another great retrieve. This one was easier as it was just laying in the corn stubble.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:42 am

Sounds and looks like a good time. :D
Did you get Greta here in ND? She looks a lot like my dog.

Coach

Post by Coach » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:54 am

hettmoe wrote:Sounds and looks like a good time. :D
Did you get Greta here in ND? She looks a lot like my dog.
She came from a friend in Lamoure who owns the female. The male is out of SD.

birddown12

Post by birddown12 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:22 pm

[quote][/quote]I know I am over analyzing the crap out of this........

I'm new to this forum. Looks like all good advice below based on some well seasoned hunters/trainers/etc. I'm by no means an expert, however, I do have for me and my style of hunting, proven tactics. I, like you, 2 years ago had a young 9 mo/old pup. i have done it both ways (hunted young pups alone the first year and hunted with experienced dogs)... after 16 years the only thing I experienced was what a couple noted below (the dog may not achieve what i call field dominance). I shoot for all my dogs to achieve field dominance. I'm not so sure that this was due to hunting the pup alongside an experienced dog either... it could have just been personality, geneticists, drive, etc.
I always try to hunt my young pups with the oldest most experienced and well trained dog i can find, my own or a friends. 2 years ago I used my fathers 12 year old GSP to help me with my 9 month old Weim (unfortunately it was the last hunt that GSP got to take after becoming cancer stricken). Today - i am grateful for what that pup learned in such a short amount of time from such a stud dog. Don't underestimate the intelligence of your dog and the value of having an older dog in the same field... (who hunts slow, ranges close, but has the lifetime experience that is priceless). last thing i will share, train your dog for you and your style of hunting. Good luck and sounds like you are on the right track.