breeding

Meller

breeding

Post by Meller » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:56 am

I have seen dogs that were in good health, that have been bread up to 10 yr's of age with out any problems. What is the maximum age that a dog can be safely bread in your opinion? (one in good health and exercised regularly)

rinker

Re: breeding

Post by rinker » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:30 am

I would think a male could be bred for as long as he is capable of doing so. A female that is in excellent health could possibly be bred up until 9 or 10. I would not breed an older female that had not had a litter of puppies in years. I would not breed a female after 4 or so that had never been bred before.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:45 am

I believe you need to have a vet certification if the male is 10 or over to Register with the AKC. It used to be that way I know.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:23 pm

Eight years old is the oldest female of mine that has had a litter of pups(out of 23 litters of pups). I have used a couple of males as stud that were over 10 years old(their sperm count was still good). I'm waiting to hear what the vets on this formum are going to say. I would think in an older female the number of eggs released might be lower than a younger in her prime female :roll: I hope the vets reply :D

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:42 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I believe you need to have a vet certification if the male is 10 or over to Register with the AKC. It used to be that way I know.

Ezzy
I bred my 12 year old male a few years back and did not have a issue with AKC registering the pups. Some of the older female had smaller litters. The mother to One of my males was nine at the breeding and I think there was 8 or 9 in the litter. These were all females who had puppies at younger ages also. We have seen some issues with older females having their first litter...............Cj

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:45 pm

I whelped a litter with my 7 year old GSP female a little over 3 months back. It was her first litter. She has been such a special bird dog for me until I wanted to have a pup from her. We had much trouble getting the two to tie. I ended up being forced to do an AI as a last resort. She had 5 pups and 1 didn't make it. The 4 remaining have been great pups and show much promise.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:09 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I believe you need to have a vet certification if the male is 10 or over to Register with the AKC. It used to be that way I know.

Ezzy
That's interesting. My parent's just had a breeder come up from MO to breed with my parent's male Brittany and he is 10 years old. My parent's have also bred a female Brittany to an older male and haven't had an issue with registration. I wonder if that is still on the "books" and isn't being enforced or it that is no long the case.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:15 pm

Grange wrote:

Ezzy
That's interesting. My parent's just had a breeder come up from MO to breed with my parent's male Brittany and he is 10 years old. My parent's have also bred a female Brittany to an older male and haven't had an issue with registration. I wonder if that is still on the "books" and isn't being enforced or it that is no long the case.
Good question. Probably changed as it was quite a few years ago I run into it.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:22 am

Keep in mind that AKC Rules do not allow, except with special documentation, the registration of a litter out of a dam less than 8 months or more than 12 years of age at the time of mating, or by a sire less than 7 months or more than 12 years of age at the time of mating.
www.akc.org/dog-breeders/responsible-breeding/

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:52 am

wems2371 wrote:
Keep in mind that AKC Rules do not allow, except with special documentation, the registration of a litter out of a dam less than 8 months or more than 12 years of age at the time of mating, or by a sire less than 7 months or more than 12 years of age at the time of mating.
http://www.akc.org/dog-breeders/responsible-breeding/
Thanks that should clear it up.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:09 pm

My vet told me that as your dogs get older it is best to give them a one a day dog vetamin starting about one month or at least 2 weeks before the female comes in to heat will help the spurm count & help your dogs health all so . On Llewellins reg FDSB they must be DNA tested to reg a litter Which is another way to prove wo breed & wo had the puppys for older dogs . I have never breed over 8 or 9 years old but never had a proublem up to that age

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:13 pm

IN our breed club we are not allowed to breed a female after 8th birthday.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com