Second thoughts

TheIndian

Second thoughts

Post by TheIndian » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:05 pm

All I have been pretty much thinking about for the past 4 months is getting a GSP. However several breeders I spoke with will not sell to someone who doesn't hunt. And I can appreciate that...A lot of heart must go into breeding and I would never lie to a breeder just to get a dog. I am certainly not looking for a lap dog. A dog, when well trained, will be my companion on land and in my canoe as well as a member of the family.

When and if I find a breeder willing to work with me, I will do all my homework on the dogs ancestry however, in the meantime, are there any activities that I could involve a dog in aside from hunting that would act as a suitable substitute to actual hunting? I'm guessing "no"...how could there be a substitute for instinct...

Any advice appreciated.

Btw...have nothing against hunting.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Second thoughts

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:15 pm

If I was you I would look for a rescue. Many of them would fit your purposes very nicely.

Soarer31

Post by Soarer31 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:26 am

Yes there is a substitute , more or less, GSPs and varies hunting dogs thrive in this game

.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U42Vf89MBxI

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:54 am

ezzy333 wrote:If I was you I would look for a rescue. Many of them would fit your purposes very nicely.
Was thinking about that ezzy333, thx. Will research that a little more. In addition to GDF, any suggestions where to start?
Soared...thx for the suggestion but not my bag.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:33 am

There is no real reason why a GSP needs to hunt birds. I have sold many that do not. They will need some other form of activity. We have several owners who are marathon runners. Some do agility and skijoring. You can find some form of exercise that you and the dog will enjoy.
AS with most breeders ,We do prefer hunting homes, not because the dogs need to hunt, but more because we breed dogs to excel in the hunting skills and we like to see that used. We also sometimes have problems with people who want a GSP because they think they are cool. But I have seen many bird dogs spend most of there life in a kennel out behind the garage with little or no human contact. I do not like that either...................Cj

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:54 am

Field trialing?

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:30 am

Dock Jumping!

jczv

Post by jczv » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:14 am

All most hunting bred dogs need is a lot of exercise either free running or running with you on a bike etc. You walking with them on a leash doesn't really count for much. BTW dogs don't care much if your hunting as long as they can, My dogs spend as much time hunting inside the season when I have a gun as even outside the season when legal they'll hunt up the local woodcock and infrequent pheasants I'm basically just out walking (sometimes with a blank gun).

As several people have pointed out getting a rescue - either a dog that doesn't have enough instinct, gunshy or has a physical defect would probably meet your needs.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:10 pm

Imo as long as the dog gets hard running exercise and is part of an active family lifestyle , a sporting breed is fine.
Buying one to just walk around the block is not acceptable imo.

Jägermeister

Post by Jägermeister » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:56 pm

I agree you should look into a rescue. Not sure where you are located but google southeast gsp rescue. Or just do some searching and you will find one in a rescue near you. For exercise look into dog agility, there seem to be clubs all over. If you are not a distance runner they have these attachments for a bicycle so the dog can run beside you. Basically, if you don't exercise a birddog daily neither of you will be very happy.

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:00 pm

Encouraging thoughts.
I actually asked myself this question today...What are GSP owners doing with their dogs that I can't do with one when it's not hunting season? I mean, in the southern tier of NY, upland birds and waterfowl are hunted October-December (If I read the DEC website correctly). So the rest of the year must be filled with activities such as the ones you guys have mentioned.
I get it...the dog needs a lot of activity.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:12 pm

I have an EP. Pretty similar dogs. In the off-season I train (for hunting). I also partake in skijoring and hiking and running and swimming. All are great for exercising.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:07 am

Why don't you pursue a non-hunting breed or a rescue? Why do you need a breeder to "work with you" and sell you a hunting dog pup when you clearly have no intention of hunting? Plenty of dogs out there that make nice companions and pets. IMO, hunting dogs should hunt. Breeding hunting dogs and selling them to non-hunters is a disservice to the dog and to the breed as a whole (but an excellent way to line your pockets at the expense of your breeding bitches and the integrity of the breed). Look at what it's done to Labs. They're a dime a dozen, clogging up shelters, and you still have non-hunters seeking out breeders for pups because they want "quality lines". Why? Not a fan. Get a rescue or a non-hunting breed.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:03 am

I'm with Gertie.

There is no substitute for hunting for a gun dog.

JSpradley

Post by JSpradley » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:48 am

Shed Horn hunting! I have sold many pups to homes/families that do not hunt birds but actively hunt sheds. Some year round and some at peak seasons. Dog's happy....Owner is happy....I'm happy since the dog is being trained and used to hunt. Dogs can be just as happy hunting horns as birds. I know some hard-core shed hunters that do $10,000+ in sheds every year.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:04 am

I'm sure there are gsps from more.... show type backgrounds that might be okay. Lower drive.

TheIndian

Post by TheIndian » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:53 pm

A rescue is not totally out of the question.
Thanks for all the good ideas. Shed horn hunting sounds awesome!

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:27 am

I believe you are in New York??? There is a GSP resuce for the New England area which covers New York.

http://www.gsprescuene.org/home.aspx