A little about you...

Bushrod Gentry

Re: A little about you...

Post by Bushrod Gentry » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:18 am

Hello, I am Dale in eastern Kentucky, 52 years old, retired military.

I am very happily married, two wonderful teenagers, 2 house dogs, and 1 very energetic 22 month old Llewellin Setter that has 2 trips to Minnesota under his collar for ruffed grouse.

My llewellin is the first I have had before him 4 English Setters and 1 GSP. I've never sold any of my dogs except pups from the litters I've had in the past. My dogs are not only used for hunting but also my companions and would never sell any, they are my buddies.

With Bushrod, my setter, and all the dogs before I have primarily grouse hunted. Eastern Ky. holds very few grouse now so I am looking to hunt more quail this season should I be able to find places to hunt, and birds. I've hunted grouse in Maine, Montanta, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Pheasant and quail in Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska.

Bushrod at 22 months is coming along nicely. Two weeks ago in Minnesota he went well above and beyond what I thought a pup of that age was capable of. If I had another week in Minnesota I would come very close to calling him a finished dog.

I have never run field trials and don't know much about it. I'm looking into it because I hear it takes a big runner with a fantastic nose that has the stamina to go for 3-4 hours. I believe Bushrod has all of that, and more. I know I shouldn't brag on him but, I've never been more impressed in my 30 years of chasing birds as I have with this pup.

Well, that's me in a nutshell, love my family, my country, God, my dogs, bird chasing and walleye fishing. Thanks for taking the time to read, Dale.

ford

Post by ford » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:57 pm

Hello, just here to discuss training tactics for my retriever. We bothare rookies. So I'm looking forward to our discussions.

shooteminthelips

Post by shooteminthelips » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Hey everyone,

I live in Arkansas and work hard everyday so I can enjoy the weekend. I love to duck hunt and have just passed my dog in his first SHR title (HRC). We will continue in the spring after duck season and in the meantime I am on this forum to see what is available to help me transport and train my dog (CBR).

Have a fun and safe season,
Shooteminthelips

runninglikeOutlaw

Post by runninglikeOutlaw » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:53 pm

Hello! i am a 22 year old lady with a 11month Vizsla and 1year 2month Australian Shep from Oklahoma. Mainly training the Vizsla but will train the Aussie cause she gets offended when left out of anything. Just getting into hunting with a dog. We hunt anything that's legal. My husband is the one who got me into hunting and when we got our Vizsla(outlaw) i figured why not do what's in his blood and what i like. (Upland bird is my favorite for now). I am a college student right now, graduate in a year. I am looking forward to meeting and talking with some of you crazy people!
haley

Kris Lehew

Post by Kris Lehew » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Hello Everyone!
My name is Kris Lehew, I live in NE Oklahoma and I am 36 years old. I own a construction company, we do dirt work all the way up to total building construction. We have even added dog kennels to our resume.
I have been hunting most of my life. I started out dove hunting then progressed quail hunting as I got older. I now hunt dove, quail and pheasant here in Oklahoma and Kansas.
I brought my first bird dog home 9 years ago. Hiball, an English Pointer who's sire was the last dog to come from Crow's Little Joe. He has been one of the best hunting companions I could've ever asked for. A big body liver and white with a nose to match his huge frame. A dream to watch work. As he got older, I thought that I might want to breed him in order to get a replacement for him. About 3.5 years ago, I bought a female pointer, Pistol Penny. She is a smaller bodied dog, white with lemon ticked ears, bred for horseback. Good working dog, loves to retrieve and energetic as they get!
I had tried for pups last year and early this spring with no success. So this year I had Penny AI'd and it worked! Now I have five beautiful pups that are 9 days old. I have decided to keep two. A liver and white male and a black and white female. I cant wait to start getting them out and working.
I wanted to join this site to seek input and to help me along the way as I start to grow my kennel and get my next generation of pups out there in the upland world.

jimmyb1998

Post by jimmyb1998 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:23 am

Jimmy from Brooklet Ga.
Married, 2 kids and 1 dog. Son 13 and daughter 6.
Just got our 1st pet. Folly Belle Carolina, a black liver spot and patched GSP. I'm not sure of the correct color terminology for her but I'm sure one you will be able to help me with that. She was 1 year old on May 26th 2015. She will be heading off to college at Dave Walker's Farm and Kennel in the next couple of weeks. We are very excited.
I came across this forum when getting details about black GSP's. We picked her out specifically due to coloring because we had never seen a black one. She is the off spring of 2 full time working guide dogs owned by Jeff Starling, owner of Starling Adventures http://www.starlingadventures.com/.

She is a family pet that hunts outside all day, everyday with in the confines of just over 1 acre of fenced in back yard that has plenty of heavy foliage and trees and some wide open running area. She sleeps inside every night in her own little room and occasionally gets to relax on the couch with the family before bedtime. She's proven to be an excellent family pet.

I'm looking forward to getting info/suggestions/tips and posting some pics of future hunts.

Thanks,

Jimmyb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Smilin Spaniels

Post by Smilin Spaniels » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:56 am

I am 25. Was male last time I checked. Have been hunting for about 10 years. Have had dogs all my life. Currently go to school and work full time. Live in Northern Minnesota but grew up in the Southwestern part of the state. I enjoy hunting grouse, woodcock, and pheasant. I currently have a FBECS named Molly. The term "pocket rocket" couldn't fit these dogs any better.

marc

Post by marc » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi everyone! I'm 53, male, and married with no kids. I've worked for NYSDEC for 27 years. We own a 550-acre farm property which supports my neighbor's dairy farm, and I have a private preserve license for it, to be able to release birds.

Our dogs are our kids, and we just got a new one. In September, we lost out 15+ year old GSP, Klaus. He was the most honest dog I have ever known, and a great hunter and pal. At 11 years, he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure from a bad valve, so I had to stop hunting him. Despite his one year life expectancy prognosis, he remained active and mobile until 2 days before he passed. Although a heavy hit, we realize that we had a great run together, and we cannot expect any more than that. We were blessed to have him.

We picked up Mauser three weeks ago from Jennifer Broome at Quinebaug Kennels. The sire is DC, INT CH, RU AKC Nat'l WGDC Gambles Benny the Jet MH VCX, bred to Jennifer's wonderful female CH Abbe Lane's Sweet Little Elsie MH JHR UT Prz 1 204. She did a wonderful job with them, exposing them all to people and the field (and water) at 5 weeks of age. Little Mauser has some really serious chops, a ton of drive (and persistence) and has already pointed for a face full of grouse and pheasant scent. He is very observant, and stops frolicking with me to listen to wildlife noises and watch birds flying overhead. It's so much fun to have a pup again!

Huntingwithyourdog

Re: ****A little about huntingwithyourdog****

Post by Huntingwithyourdog » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:57 am

Hello everyone,

I have always had a dog as long as I can remember. We grew up in a rural farmland area and there was always a dog on our family hobby farm. We had a rather large family so the dogs were never permitted into the home, but I always had a strong bond as a young boy with my faithful dogs, which extended into today. Looking back to that time I can remember sometimes just siting with my faithful friend on the back step or wandering through the woods with my dog by my side, wonderful times. Dogs are great listeners and there have been many times when I have talked their ears off, with a one sided discussions.

As I grew older and became involved in hunting, I had always wanted to have my very own hunting dog. That did not occur for one reason or another until after I was married and we had a home of our own. I have had 2 dogs, over what seems like a life time ago. Both my dogs, Jake (a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever/Lab mix) and Rocky (a Golden Retriever), have been unique individuals with different personalities, unfortunately, "all dogs got to heaven" as the story goes, but I am left with fond memories of my four legged friends, 2 of Man's best friends ever!

I built a web site with dog owners in mind, called http://huntingwithyourdog.com , especially those owners who take their dogs hunting. I joined the "Dog Gun Form" to get a better perspective on what everyone else is doing with their dogs, what they hunt, hows, whens and whys.
Back when I had my first dog there was very little information about hunting with a dog, things have certainly changed and there is lots out there theses days. I would like to try to showcase hunting dogs into one special space that hunting dog owners can enjoy on huntingwithyourdog.com web site. The site continues to be a work in progress and I will constantly add to the site and am open to any ideas you may have to improve the site. I am also always looking for dog hunting stories and pictures of dog hunting breeds to add to my we pages. If you are interested in sending along some stories, pictures etc, I may choose to include them on my web site and credit your pictures and stories. Drop me a note at huntingk9s@gmail.com.

All the best to everyone here,

Cheers,

Hunting With You Dog!

QuailHunterAZ

Post by QuailHunterAZ » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:14 pm

My name is Shane, I have been coming to this site for quite a while for some insight but have decided its finally time to make my own profile.

I am 27 and have been hunting all my life. I have one female gsp that is 14 months (shown in my avatar, if i set it up right). We do alot of quail and dove hunting together. This is her first full season hunting with me and wea re having a blast together!

Farmboy

Post by Farmboy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:11 pm

Hello. Long time listener, first time caller. :wink:

I am 51 years of age and have a wife and two daughters. My oldest attends the University of Northern Iowa and plans to be an elementary school teacher and my youngest is a senior in High School. My youngest is my bird hunting partner and we chase pheasant, quail and dove every chance we get.

I am employed by the State of Iowa and my wife is a school teacher.

I have two hunting dogs. A Brittany and my newest addition is a German Shorthair Pointer. I can't wait to see what the gsp can do in the bird hunting field. I have decided not to do anything with her this season because of her age (5months). Next year she will be ready to roll.

Jaeger62

Post by Jaeger62 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:53 am

Howdy!

I'm a 42 year old male in north Texas. I've worked as a police officer for almost 14 years now and get my relaxation from hunting pretty much whatever I can get a chance to.

I have primarily been a deer hunter with some dove hunting mixed in but would like to start doing some upland bird hunting. I'm looking to buy a versatile breed dog that I can bird hunt and also use occasionally to blood track deer if the need arises. I've pretty much narrowed my search down to a German Shorthair Pointer or a Vizsla.

lastman

Post by lastman » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 pm

Well we (my wife and I) most likely backed into owning an almost pure black GSP.

I say "backed into" because we were looking for a black lab to rescue and found Penda - a "GSP/lab mix" at least that was listed on the site where we found her.

Since we brought her home, we've seen very little lab and a whole lot of GSP behavior - pointing, hunting and body shape. She howls not barks like our former lab

Not knowing that GSPs could be black until we dug a little deeper, we believe she might even be a pure GSP. The vague background story is that a GSP breeder dropped her off at a shelter in South Carolina - reason being a black GSP isn't AKC kosher.

Penda just turned one year old.

So . . . we've discovered a very bright dog with little to no home training and 0% field training. In just about two weeks, we've taught her her name, potty training. She's picked up sit and stay and partially "heel", "off" and "no", "go potty." She's a pleaser responding to both food training and positive affection. The dog is smart and inquisitive.

On walks, squirrels and rabbits constantly grab her undivided attention and walking her becomes near impossible as she fixates. My wife caught her one time crawling toward a bird. She picks her paw up in point and loves to hunt our back fenced-in yard. Gonna catch a squirrel one of these days (she's fast).

So wondering if it's too late to train her in the field. We still need to work on "come," etc.

I grew up hunting in WV. Rabbits with beagles, otherwise turkey, deer and squirrel. Did some pheasant hunting when I lived in PA. But never worked with a bird dog.

But I'd love to see her work in the field and get back out and do some hunting and think that would do my soul some good. Afterall, Penda might lead the way back.

So I'm here to learn and listen and get advice from others.

First question is simply - is there still a window to train this dog in the field?

I currently live in Maryland near DC.
53, married, four kids in college (ugh).

NEGordon

Post by NEGordon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Hey everyone,

My name is Mark. I'm a 30 year old firefighter here in Central Massachusetts. I'm looking forward to marrying my fiance this upcoming September. The two of us enjoy bird hunting and the outdoors. I'm also an avid whitetail bowhunter.

During the fall of 2014 I stumbled upon a 3 year old Gordon Setter owned by a friend of a friend. The older gentleman that owned the dog happened to be looking to place the dog in a new home due to the dog's energy level and desire to hunt. I took the dog in with the intention of finding him a new home. A year and a half later and one hunting season under our belt, he's still with me. He did well in his first season with little to no training and seemed to enjoy every minute of it.

I've been checking in on this forum fairly regularly since taking Brady in. Figured it was time to join the forum myself. I look forward to continuing to learn as much as I can. Hopefully I can give my dog the best chance to excel in what he was bred to do.

Madti's_GSP_Gunnar

Post by Madti's_GSP_Gunnar » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:51 pm

My name is Madti. I'm 17 years old I'm from Savage, Minnesota. I have a 1 year old GSP named Gunnar. I've been struggling with training him because he is my very first hunting dog and was told by a friend that this site would be able to help!!!

BAlexander

Post by BAlexander » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:09 pm

My name is Bill and I am a hunter from the Oklahoma City area. I hunt mostly quail but also some pheasant. I have quail hunted for 35 years and simply hunt for meat and enjoyment. I currently have a 6 year old registered male pointer who is the best dog I have ever owned. I am wanting to continue his bloodline so I am seeking an exceptional female pointer to breed him to. In exchange for the pick of the litter and one additional pup. My male solid white with black ticking. Very classy and beautiful dog.

BAlexander

Post by BAlexander » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:11 pm

My name is Bill and I am a hunter from the Oklahoma City area. I hunt mostly quail but also some pheasant. I have quail hunted for 35 years and simply hunt for meat and enjoyment. I currently have a 6 year old registered male pointer who is the best dog I have ever owned. I am wanting to continue his bloodline so I am seeking an exceptional female pointer to breed him to. In exchange for the pick of the litter and one additional pup. My male solid white with black ticking. Very classy and beautiful dog.

PAdrahthaar

Post by PAdrahthaar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:34 am

Hello, my name is Perry. I am 27 years old from Pennsylvania and mainly hunt Pheasant, Grouse, Rabbit, Doves, Deer, Bear, Coyote, Fox. I recently put a deposit down on a Dutch Drahthaar from Vom Buffeltaler kennel in Pennsylvania. I expect to have my puppy sometime in June or July depending on when the female goes into heat. I have been lurking on the forum for a long time and finally became a member. I look forward to training my first bird dog. I have already gained so much information from this forum and I plan on continuing to do so before/during/after my training.

meridiandave

Post by meridiandave » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:38 am

I am an avid upland game hunter. I grew up hunting pheasants, but since moving to Idabo, I have become a much more active chukar and hun hunter. I have a 2 year old wirehaired pointing griffon female named Kola. She is a great pheasant dog.

I live in Meridian Idaho. I love the diversity of bird hunts available to us in Idaho.

snapt

Post by snapt » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:47 am

Hi All,

Live in Teton Valley Idaho on a dead end dirt road in the mountains. 2 years ago I rescued an 'Idaho Sheep Retriever'. Dad was a hunting flat coat and mom was a working border collie. The daughter of the farmer who owned the parents took the pup as a pet but by year 2 thought she was too crazy to keep.

I somehow got the bright idea to rescue her before the went to the shelter, and with the combo of of some TLC, training, and getting fixed she's calmed down and turned into a great pet. Just over a year ago we moved into the mountains and right off the bat she showed a propensity for finding and flushing grouse. She has a tremendous desire to work, high prey drive, and a heck of a nose.

This fall we spent time afield just finding birds (and cottontails, mule deer, porcupines and anything else she could sniff out) and working on her range. I hope to introduce the blank gun and then shotgun this summer so by fall she's ready for the real thing. I did carry the gun around unloaded any time we went looking for birds so now she has a very positive association that something fun is going to happen when its out. She enjoys BC skiing, fishing, and everything else the Tetons have to offer with us.

I'm an avid photog and would love to shoot some upland shots this fall, if anyone is close by and wouldn't mind me tagging along with a camera I'd love to hear from you.

I'm here to learn more about fine tuning her training, e collars to help discourage her from chasing critters she shouldn't be, and enjoy the info on dogs and game.

gunstock

Post by gunstock » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:19 am

fdsjr wrote:Tell us a little about you so we can get a perspective on who we are talking to. How old are you?? Male or Female?? What do you do for a living?? How long you been hunting/shooting?? What kind of hunting do you do?? What kind of dog(s) do you have?? How long have you had dogs?? You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like this??
Hello fellow gun dog owners; I'm Kenneth Minvielle from Louisiana,a retired USAF Master Sgt. also retired from an alumina plant here in La.I've been hunting since I was 10 yrs old. Started hunting rabbits ,then deer then I got my first bird dog a GSP named Tina she served me and my son and friends very well for about 13 yrs .Now I'm the proud owner of a gorgeous 3 month old GSP puppy. I finished a beautiful GSP for my son's superintendent ,after finishing her I brought her to him .he purchased 100 quail to see his dog work ,he was fascinated at how her performed having never seen one work,needless to say he bought me this puppy for my doing this for him .Enough t said about that .I'm a amateur gunsmith and dog trainer ,I have trained several Labs and on my second GPS which is my favorite gun dog.I read the forum pretty much every night .I hunt quail,woodcocks ,rabbits ,deer and ducks,oh I'm 74yrs old and still going strong thank God for my health.Y'all take care and see y'all in the forum .

GSPKurt

GSPKurt is in the house.

Post by GSPKurt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:59 am

Hello, my name is Kurt, and I live in the Gainesville FL area. I am on the board of directors for Florida Brittany Rescue and also help SEGSP Rescue when I can. I am 56, retired, born and raised in the Chicago area, spent 11 years in Cincinnati, where I became addicted to GSPs, Britts and English Setters and bird hunting. Moved to Florida in '02 and here I am. I own the Florida Gun Forum as well. I have 2 Shorthairs now, a Britt and an English Setter. All but the setter are rescues. I can't quail hunt much here, as I have a real bad knee that probably needs to be replaced. I do run my dog of of a Honda Pioneer and just got a Garmin Alpha collar system which I am just figuring out today, in fact. I'm glad to be here.

flgundogger

Post by flgundogger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:07 pm

fdsjr wrote:Tell us a little about you so we can get a perspective on who we are talking to. How old are you?? Male or Female?? What do you do for a living?? How long you been hunting/shooting?? What kind of hunting do you do?? What kind of dog(s) do you have?? How long have you had dogs?? You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like this??
Hey all, my name is Clinton. I'm 35. I am a Field Service Supervisor for a manufacturing company. I've been hunting/shooting since i was probably 10. I grew up in Southern Indiana hunting squirrels, etc. I picked up my first bird dog last June and have been obsessed ever since. I hope to do some quail hunting, either with or without my GSP. I have the GSP as well as a Golden Retrieve/Vizsla mix. I dont currently do field trials or hunt tests, but it is something i wouldn't mind getting into.

Good to be here!

Take care!

sbeagley

Post by sbeagley » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:26 pm

My name is Steil, I'm 23 and live in Colorado. I graduated college in 2014 and have been working in construction since then. I recently transitioned from a field supervisor to an estimator/project manager apprentice.

I joined this forum because I love Labs and am picking up my first puppy on Friday. Labs were a significant part of my childhood, and I recently decided after moving into a bigger space with a big yard that I am ready to have a lab of my own! I am seeking any and all helpful advice when it comes to raising and training a puppy.

I am an avid big game hunter, but a novice/weekend warrior bird hunter. However, I really enjoy eating blue grouse so I would love to train my pup to help me bring more home. :)

After exploring this forum I have realized that I have a lot to learn about training dogs, so I'm excited to do so. When I was growing up we gave our dogs very basic training such as manners (no jumping, food/toy guarding, growling, etc.). They were raised to be family dogs, not hunting dogs. I am excited to give this new puppy training that goes beyond basic manners and house training. However, I don't need an advanced hunting dog. I'm content with her not being field trial caliber. To put it simply, my ideal lab is an everyday companion that is well mannered but is also capable of pointing and retrieving grouse when I take her out hunting.

Cmf

Post by Cmf » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:41 am

Hi guys,
My name is Craig. I am 38 years old from Minnesota. I've owned German Shorthaired Pointers for the last 10 years. I do a lot of pheasant and grouse hunting. I recently had to put one of my GSPs down last December. He was a great gun dog and it is going to be a little different this fall without him. I am picking up a new pup in about 3 weeks. It is going to be another GSP. I joined the forum to get some advice on gun dog training on a new pup. I am also looking for any local dog clubs around the Twin Cities area to some field training.

rice0006

Post by rice0006 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:14 am

Age 74 (geezer). Durham, NC. Married 52 yrs with 3 kids and 8 grands... very patient and tolerant wife! Retired (mostly) doc.

Currently owned by a 5 yo pointer and a 16 mo DK. Few wild quail left in NC so train on feral, pen-raised birds. Hunted since age 14 yo, starting in Kingsville, TX.
Had a 3 yr stint in US Army 1970-3 in Germany where I fell in love with GSP's, wound up with a male pup which I trained and took through Derby and Solms as a member of DKV Klub Sudwest. Imported my dog in 1973, along with a female from the same line. There were plenty of wild birds in NC in the 1970's so had a decade of high quality hunting until the early 1980's when the birds started disappearing. Bred my 2 imports x2 and retained a male who turned out like his pop. Third breeding was an outcross with an "American" GSP which produced a not-so-hot litter.

Had trouble locating what I considered quality DK breeding so shifted to pointers. Enjoyed "Katy," one of 3 pups produced from Rail Dancer's last live breeding. Currently have "Cody," now 5 yo and another Gene Casale bred dog 2 generations out from Guardrail. Cody is spectacular. A pal from Dunn, NC recently imported 2 pregnant DK bitches from Germany which produced 2 lovely litters. I added a female, "Lucy" to my house kennel, taking me back to how things got started ...now with 2 dogs, one a 400 yd pointer and the other a 200 yd DK. The analogy might be a cutting horse and a saddle mule? My wife and I have a pickup camper and travel west each fall to WY for trout and to WY for prairie birds... sharps, huns and ducks. Next winter will plan a trip to TX for quail if they have another banner year for birds. As difficult as it has become to train on wild birds in the east, it is delightful to realize how many bird hunters and quality dogs are still around!

In past years I've hunted/killed elk, mule deer and sheep variously in WY, MT, ID, CO and turkeys in SD and NE. I hunt deer and turkey here in NC but, given the limited numbers of "trophies," both are selfish forms of hunting with leased property, competition for the best animals and a tendency to exclude kids. The shift to big game hunting in the east seems to have changed the culture of hunting, and not for the best. Bird hunting is a non-competitive sport in which everyone's birds are the same and trophies are kept in the heart. The only squabbles between bird hunters are over who has the "best" dog. Answer: we all do.

RunsWithScissors

Post by RunsWithScissors » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 pm

Hello, I'm Karol, Old enuf to have seen my share of great dogs. Currently have 2 male spinone italianos - pups really, at 10 months & 11 months. Lost my beloved chessie (5 years old) last year. I don't hunt but I do hike through fields & forest and my dogs go with me every time. Which brings me tothe reason why I'm here - the spinoni pups range very far & don't like to respond to the recall. E-collars are not recommended for this breed. In fact, any harsh words backfire when working with such sensitive dogs. A complete inverse of my chessie. I'm hoping to get information on a stronger recall. And to enjoy ya'll boasting about your hunting dogs.

donaldrayalbowling

Post by donaldrayalbowling » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:39 pm

Donnie Bowling 44, have a griffon named Ragnar. He is 13 weeks. Grew up in KY and have been in VA for 18 years. Married for 12 wonderful years and have a beautiful 10 year old daughter. Trained many coon hounds, thus is my first VHD and am extremely nervous about it. Plan on wet and upland bird hunting and field trials. Daughter is psyched to do some grouse and duck hunting with me.

CameronLindholm

Post by CameronLindholm » Mon May 02, 2016 7:19 am

My name is Cameron, I'm a plumber by trade and I currently am the plumber for Jones Lang Lasalle in Tempe, AZ.

Growing up we've always had a dog. Now that I'm 26 married and have a soon to be 2 year old daughter. I want my own hunting dog.

I don't have a dog yet, but i'm looking to get a lab soon.

I hunt Dove, Quail, Ducks, and I also hunt big game as well.

I love anything outdoors would rather be out hunting or fishing any day, than be at work.

I'm hoping that being on this page, I'll be able to learn to train my dog into a great hunting partner.

Pgsulins

Post by Pgsulins » Tue May 03, 2016 4:03 pm

My name is Paul, 37 years old and married. We currently own 3 GSP's and love the breed. There is nothing better that watching a dog do what it was intended. We own and operate a dog training business in Leander, Texas about 15 miles north of Austin, check us out at http://unleashedunlimited.com

Jogan

Post by Jogan » Mon May 23, 2016 8:35 pm

I am 49. I'm married with two high maintenance boys....Yeah! boys! I am fairly new to hunting and we will be owners to our first GSP Feb. 2017. We live in North Texas. We currently have two boxers. Conner a 11yr 6 mo. Dark Fawn male who has spinal discplatia. He is doing the best he can. The Female is chocolate and she is a smart one. She is 6.
I hunt white tail, dove, turkey, quail, pheasant. Really, I will hunt anything. I enjoy listening to experienced hunters. I learn so much from them. I am trying to make up for lost time the best I can.
The reason I joined is so that I can get solid advice with training my GSP next year and to share my experiences. My overall plan is to have her/him be well versed in all types of hunting. I want to use the best training discipline that is available. Whatever that might be. No prejudice here. I want to train with a plan/purpose. I now nothing about training a gun dog. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Lawdawg85

Post by Lawdawg85 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:13 pm

58 year old trial lawyer. Hunted since I was 8 years old. Started with pointers and setters on wild bobwhite quail in Southwest Ga, hunting with my grandfather. Both parents hunted. Mom was best shot I've ever seen. Moved to Northeast Ga 31 years ago. Quail hard to find so started pursuing ducks and turkeys. I have a 9 1/2 year old lab. Looking for a smaller pointing dog. Probably go with a Brit. I started developing a 400 acre tract about 5 years ago. We have 3, maybe 4, breeding pair this spring. 2 last spring. None before that in the past 10 years according to prior owner. Nothing huge but a start. Habitat is improving and the birds are responding. Little Brit probably see mostly released birds in his lifetime but we'll have fun, and to me that is the point.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:36 pm

rsz_20141102_123215.jpg
Welcome. Yup, getting out of the rut and spending some time with a good hunting dog sure heals the spirit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rhardman

Post by Rhardman » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:33 pm

My name is RuSean Hardman. I am 43 yrs old. I have been hunting and training dogs for over 25 years. I own English Setters currently. I live in Tulsa Oklahoma. I currently have 3 very nice male pups left for sale from my Champion bred English Setter litter of 9. I would like to get to know people and build a network with bird hunters from across the nation. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this Forum!! Attached are pics of my two older dogs in action!

RoanRunneR

Re: A little about you

Post by RoanRunneR » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:54 am

My name is Ryan Grzesiak, I am 25 years old and am an avid outdoors-man when my schedule allows it.
I am a server engineer and live in central Wisconsin with my wife Whitney who is a Dental Hygienist.
I am picking up my GSP on the 27th of August, my wife and I are quite anxious to get the little guy!
I enjoy hunting ducks/waterfowl, upland birds and deer. I hope to make a few out-west trips for Elk and Mule deer in the coming years.
I've joined this forum in hopes to use it as a tool for discussion with people that have experience in training and obedience behavior with their dogs.

Bockennels2012

Post by Bockennels2012 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks for adding me, I am 44 years old and have 3 German Shorthairs and hunt pheasants and quail with my wife and 3
Kids. My son has 2 GSPS and my middle daughter has 2 also.

toddewell

Post by toddewell » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:10 pm

I am 40, married and looking forward to my first gun dog's arrival. Primarily a pheasant and duck hunter, but chase grouse and deer when the opportunity arises.

Hoping to learn from your collective experience about puppy training. My dog of choice is a British Lab.

Redleg6

Post by Redleg6 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:08 pm

I'm Bob and I just turned 70 ( It's the new 40!). Got a new FBESS for my birthday a bit early. She's now 4 1/2 months old and lots of fun. I'm thinking I might have a potential FC on my hands so she's going off to my trainer for basic training in January. I live in SW Missouri and belong to the Missouri Hunting Spaniel Club. I had previously trained my two ECS littlermates but I had to put them both down a couple of weeks ago at 16 years old. Both were deaf and mostly blind and were fading rapidly. It is a solemn responsibility and extremely hard to do but I think you owe it to the sweet souls who have loved you so much and worked so hard for you for all those years when the time comes. Looking forward to continuing to learn here and, hopefully, I can add a bit here and there.

Redleg6

Post by Redleg6 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:10 pm

I'm Bob and I just turned 70 ( It's the new 40!). Got a new FBESS for my birthday a bit early. She's now 4 1/2 months old and lots of fun. I'm thinking I might have a potential FC on my hands so she's going off to my trainer for basic training in January. I live in SW Missouri and belong to the Missouri Hunting Spaniel Club. I had previously trained my two ECS littlermates but I had to put them both down a couple of weeks ago at 16 years old. Both were deaf and mostly blind and were fading rapidly. It is a solemn responsibility and extremely hard to do but I think you owe it to the sweet souls who have loved you so much and worked so hard for you for all those years when the time comes. Looking forward to continuing to learn here and, hopefully, I can add a bit here and there.

Osceola12

Post by Osceola12 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Hey folks. Im 38, a school principal, married with a six year old. I'm looking to get back in to birds and I'm getting a setter in January. I'll be traveling to a NSTRA event before then to see if that's something I'd like to do as well. I won't have much to offer others as I'm new to the game but I'd love to learn.

Osceola12

Post by Osceola12 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:30 pm

I'm 38, live in north Florida, and just getting back into quail. I have a beautiful wife, a genius 6 year old, and I'm getting a llewellin setter in January. I hope to learn from this group and meet some new folks.

PF Boundy

A little about you...

Post by PF Boundy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:36 pm

Hello all, my name is Paul, I'm 60 yo, and am recently retired. I look forward to browsing the different discussions and maybe getting together with other members in the New England area to train and hunt bird dogs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PF Boundy

A little about you...

Post by PF Boundy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Hello, my name is Paul, I live in MA, and I look forward to browsing the discussions, especially on training, and hopefully getting together with fellow members from the New England area for some bird dog training and hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toddewell

Post by toddewell » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Name: Todd
Marital Status: Married
Kids: None
Dogs: Bringing home my first gun dog in 3 weeks. Male lab. Any training advice for my little guy is appreciated.

I'm primarily a pheasant hunter. However, I hunt ducks, geese and deer when given the chance.

pointerdog
Location: Idaho but currently on assignment in Canada, plus traveling overseas

Post by pointerdog » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:52 am

GSP guy here. Rocky mountain region. Howdy

Grovefolk

Post by Grovefolk » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:44 pm

My name is Joe. I am a lifelong resident of NW Arkansas. I grew up around setters and owned setters in the 80s and 90s. Now after 15 years I have a setter pup again. That was not planned, a friend purchased the pup and they realized that the time was not right for a new dog.

I picked him up on April third at 10 weeks of age. He is coming along nicely. This dog has put life back into me. I train with a couple of younger guys from work. We have access to a great source of pen raised quail. We are headed to Western Oklahoma in a couple of weeks.

JM72

Post by JM72 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:41 am

Male 44 , married with two daughters and 3 grandkids. Mechanical Designer by trade. Avid outdoorsman I enjoy Hunting mostly Deer but occasionally waterfowl and even less often small game and doves. Owned Labs for over twenty years and now have a new GSp puppy as of last Friday. Training to track deer and just be a pet/companion. I also enjoy fishing and cooking.

SouthernTied

Post by SouthernTied » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:17 am

Will Craig
Deputy Sheriff for a small county in Georgia.
I have been hunting since i could carry a gun.
If its not wingshooting I do it with a bow. I have also taken ducks and geese with a bow more to prove it could be done(not easy)
I hunt all over the country but have never hunted pheasant or chukar. Will be happening in the next month.
I have a Gsp named Bourbon and a Choc lab named Bailey. The GSP is mostly trained/handled by myself with help from a very well known trainer in my area. The lab is owned 50/50 between myself and a friend. My GSP has started passes and JH passes. Lab is still young for that. Both are getting retriever training. Afterwards my GSP will go through upland training out of state. The GSP went on his first hunts this month and retrieved very well.

LucyGunDog

Post by LucyGunDog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:44 pm

Hello Everyone.

My name is Todd Martin and I live in North Texas. Been a Marine for twenty years and work in Fort Worth in aerospace. I'm married with 4 kids and now have, Lucy, a three month old Labrador.
She was a bit of surprise as I was not looking for a dog. My wife brought her home with no papers. Seems to have a good disposition and desire to learn.

I just complete James Spencer's book "Retriever's for the Marshes and Meadows". Reading "the 10 Minute Retriever" by John Dahl. I have "The Labrador Shooting Dog" by Mike Gould on my nightstand.
"Got Retriever Training: A Back to Basics Approach" by Robert Milner and I'll probably add a few more on top of that.

I haven't been hunting long because I grew up in the suburbs, just a few years. Despite sucking at it, I enjoy being out on a hunt probably more than most anything. My hope is to introduce Lucy to her first hunt next winter which will be just over a pond or maybe the lake edge. Anyhow, look forward to advice and discussion.

Laplander

Post by Laplander » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi,

My name Jussi Juntti, i live in SW Lapland, Finland. Im 30years old hunter. I have hunted with dogs all my live. At the moment i have 6 dogs. Gordon setter, GSP, Foxterrier, Finnish hound, Trigg hound and Walker Trigg cross. Our kennel keeps also Finnish Spitz and Laprador and Karelian bear dog pup will join our kennel in coming spring. I hunt all the game from grouse to moose, like my father and brothers too. Thats why we have pretty versatile pack of dogs. You find me in instragram behind @nirriboys.juntti account. I hope we gonna have good conversations about gundogs here, im very interested about american dogs :)