Roading harness

oldbeek

Roading harness

Post by oldbeek » Sat May 07, 2016 7:55 pm

I am looking for suggestions on a roading harness for a 35 lb Brittany. Will be running off a quad and doing 1/2 to 1 hr runs

mtlhdr

Re: Roading harness

Post by mtlhdr » Mon May 09, 2016 11:05 am

I use this one from LCS. http://www.lcsupply.com/Deluxe-Padded-R ... info/SERH/ Use it 3-4 times per week (for 2.5 years) without any issues. Seems like will last at least this dog's lifetime. I haven't noticed any rubbing or chaffing on the dog. Simple to use, slide it over dog's head and buckle around chest.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon May 09, 2016 7:50 pm

I also liked the look of the serh harness from Lion Country.. I gave them a call and they said it would to large for a 35 lb Brittany. I ordered their fully adjustable harness though it didn't have a padded chest strap. I will alter that part. Thanks for the reply.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon May 09, 2016 8:02 pm

I road my dog (40 lb. Brittany) with my bicycle and she pulls me hard for 5-7 miles. All I have ever used is a simple harness I bought at Runnings. http://www.runnings.com/dog-collars-har ... arness.htm It's worked great for 6 years.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:33 pm

oldbeek wrote:I am looking for suggestions on a roading harness for a 35 lb Brittany. Will be running off a quad and doing 1/2 to 1 hr runs
Out of curiosity.... why do you (and other's) keep your dog's harnessed to a quad? I run my Brittany a couple fast miles off my quad every day and he stays right with me, or I'll stop and let him roam around (with his bell on), as soon as I whistle and move the quad he comes running back to me. I'm assuming most people on quads are in a similar situation that they have land around them to let the dogs run. The purpose to my response here is to see if I'm making a mistake that will affect my dogs bird training in any way. This is my first go-round training a dog. My dog is 6 months so I exercise him a lot like this. I've wondered to myself if teaching him to fly through the fields like this has any ill affect.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:34 pm

Additionally, though I haven't done it yet.... I also plan on taking him mountain biking (single track) with me. I figured teaching him to stay with me on the quad would transfer over to him understanding to stay close on the bike and not run in front of me.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:38 am

BuckeyeSteve wrote:
oldbeek wrote:I am looking for suggestions on a roading harness for a 35 lb Brittany. Will be running off a quad and doing 1/2 to 1 hr runs
Out of curiosity.... why do you (and other's) keep your dog's harnessed to a quad? I run my Brittany a couple fast miles off my quad every day and he stays right with me, or I'll stop and let him roam around (with his bell on), as soon as I whistle and move the quad he comes running back to me. I'm assuming most people on quads are in a similar situation that they have land around them to let the dogs run. The purpose to my response here is to see if I'm making a mistake that will affect my dogs bird training in any way. This is my first go-round training a dog. My dog is 6 months so I exercise him a lot like this. I've wondered to myself if teaching him to fly through the fields like this has any ill affect.
I can't answer for others, but I only road my dogs slowly...against resistance. I want to build muscle, especially in the back end and I want to build heat tolerance and endurance. I believe that slow roading against resistance accomplishes those objectives. In addition, since they are attached and have limited options, I use the opportunity to reinforce handling commands like turn commands , stopping, starting and changing gears.

I have found that a dog that will steadily pull against resistance for a full half hour will run for an hour in front of a horse and have gas left in the tank at the end. I have found that it also tends to enable the tail to come up a bit, possibly due to the effect on the dog's back end musculature.

RayG

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:11 am

RayG….. do you attach any weight to the harness or just let yourself be the resistance for the dog to pull?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:16 pm

birddogger2 wrote:
BuckeyeSteve wrote:
I can't answer for others, but I only road my dogs slowly...against resistance. I want to build muscle, especially in the back end and I want to build heat tolerance and endurance. I believe that slow roading against resistance accomplishes those objectives. In addition, since they are attached and have limited options, I use the opportunity to reinforce handling commands like turn commands , stopping, starting and changing gears.

I have found that a dog that will steadily pull against resistance for a full half hour will run for an hour in front of a horse and have gas left in the tank at the end. I have found that it also tends to enable the tail to come up a bit, possibly due to the effect on the dog's back end musculature.

RayG
Free running and resistant running are two completely different exercises that a dog needs to be in top condition, hence, the Quad for it to pull against.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:47 pm

nevermind wrote:RayG….. do you attach any weight to the harness or just let yourself be the resistance for the dog to pull?
I just saw this question. sorry about that.

When I was younger, I attached the dog's harness via a rope to a weightlifters belt that I was wearing and let the dog pull against me.

Now that I have a horse, I loop the rope end to the back of the saddle and the dog pulls against the walking horse.

There are sled dog exercisers which I understand operate like a big tricycle, but with a brake.

The only time you might need weight is when the dog is free running. I have done that also. About 20 ft. of heavy gauge welding cable, doubled over and taped together, with a steel eyelet at the loop so that you can attach a snap and not have the pressure on the snap cut through the soft copper welding cable should be plenty of weight . I like welding cable because it lays there and does not pose a danger to the dog. Some folks use steel chain which can snap around and seriously injure a dog either by striking it or getting the dog tangled up. Even if the welding cable somehow hit the dog, the copper cable is covered in plastic and the short length will not tangle.

RayG

Compton30

Post by Compton30 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:56 pm

birddogger2 wrote:
nevermind wrote:RayG….. do you attach any weight to the harness or just let yourself be the resistance for the dog to pull?
I just saw this question. sorry about that.

When I was younger, I attached the dog's harness via a rope to a weightlifters belt that I was wearing and let the dog pull against me.

Now that I have a horse, I loop the rope end to the back of the saddle and the dog pulls against the walking horse.

There are sled dog exercisers which I understand operate like a big tricycle, but with a brake.

The only time you might need weight is when the dog is free running. I have done that also. About 20 ft. of heavy gauge welding cable, doubled over and taped together, with a steel eyelet at the loop so that you can attach a snap and not have the pressure on the snap cut through the soft copper welding cable should be plenty of weight . I like welding cable because it lays there and does not pose a danger to the dog. Some folks use steel chain which can snap around and seriously injure a dog either by striking it or getting the dog tangled up. Even if the welding cable somehow hit the dog, the copper cable is covered in plastic and the short length will not tangle.

RayG
Good tip. I'm gonna get a length of welding cable and do this.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:57 pm

BuckeyeSteve wrote:
I use the harness to keep the dog on the dirt roads during warmer seasons. My area is over run with Mojave Green rattle snakes and I don't want her bit. These snake bites are usually fatal.