watermelons ?

Max2

watermelons ?

Post by Max2 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:37 am

For you folk's that live where the watermelons grow. What's up ? :D

I like to eat watermelon however I have not been able to get a good one yet all summer. There is always watermelon in the fridge, to show you how often I make a purchase. Is it drought ? or just early for them to be harvested ? question is ~ when should I expect the real deal watermelon to arrive here in Upstate NY ? Any input would be greatly appreciated :D

NEhomer

Re: watermelons ?

Post by NEhomer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:09 am

#richpeoplesproblems

Lol!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:39 am

We have had seedless melons for a coulpe of months for 3 to 5 dollars each.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:49 am

Come on down to South jersey lol
cc

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:07 am

I always have some GHermiston Seedless meelon around. The belly should be a yellow color. I got a watermelon from Bi Mart the other day. I though all Hermiston melon's were seedles! Not so!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:52 pm

#gallagher
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:12 am

NEhomer wrote:#richpeoplesproblems

Lol!
That's me the evil rich guy :D 57 work'n 6 days a week to make ends meet. :D I figure rather then Mickey-D's, Windy's, bags of chip's & coca cola I would opt for the more more healthy food fruits & veggy's so I a can keep myself fit for more work & the upcoming bird season that will be upon us in about a month.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:19 am

cohanzick creek wrote:Come on down to South jersey lol
cc
I never think of NJ & watermelon. Interesting ~ I think south Jersey~ I think of quail. The garden state. Good sweet corn comes out of NJ. Tomato's also Definitely a grow state . I grew up part of my life in north Jersey.

..... could you mail me a melon :D I could turn you on to some grouse cover if you ever make it up to upstate NY

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:06 am

We don't have that many Quill left down here in South. Jersey except what they stock but we have produce and yes the watermelon are really good but I can make a meal with corn mashed potatoes and fried tomatoes not healthy but really good. I think that's the only good thing about summer
cc

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:37 am

It has been a long time since I've seen seeded watermelons for sale...and I'm of the opinion that the seedless ones are so less tasty than the seeded ones. I was told on another forum (when the subject of watermelons came up - if you can imagine that) that the seedless one grow to a more standard size and hence, better for the mass market

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:32 pm

MNTonester wrote:It has been a long time since I've seen seeded watermelons for sale...and I'm of the opinion that the seedless ones are so less tasty than the seeded ones. I was told on another forum (when the subject of watermelons came up - if you can imagine that) that the seedless one grow to a more standard size and hence, better for the mass market
I have raised both seedless and regular and find little difference. However, the sweetest and crispest were a seedless I have raised for the past 5 or 6 years. They totally impressed me.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DougB

Post by DougB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:41 pm

MNTonester wrote:It has been a long time since I've seen seeded watermelons for sale...and I'm of the opinion that the seedless ones are so less tasty than the seeded ones. I was told on another forum (when the subject of watermelons came up - if you can imagine that) that the seedless one grow to a more standard size and hence, better for the mass market
Local Cub store generally has both, frequently sells half melons . Apparently if you remove a plug and fill the melon with vodka, you don't notice the seeds as much. At least you don't care as much.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:12 pm

Here in the Northwest, Hermiston is famous for their watermelons. They started with crimson sweet watermelons and developed their watermelons. They have seeds but a lot less than most verieties. Haven't had a seedless that comes anywhere close to being as good.

With or without Vodka.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:31 am

Now that it has been mentioned about no seeds. I have not encountered melons with seeds anywhere this year. Is it safe to say that a watermelon with seeds might be considered politically incorrect ? I keep bump'n these political threads out and they keep popping back up. :D

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:59 am

DonF wrote:I always have some GHermiston Seedless meelon around. The belly should be a yellow color. I got a watermelon from Bi Mart the other day. I though all Hermiston melon's were seedles! Not so!
Yellow belly is the key to happiness!