Best Kennel?

randomnut

Best Kennel?

Post by randomnut » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:55 am

I've been looking for a good one. I almost picked up a couple of the Kennebec Dakota that Cabelas had on sale last week. Glad I didn't.

Looked at the Ruff Tough and Kennebec yesterday in person. While the boxes themselves look quite sturdy, the doors look like junk to me.

The Northstar Grate Crate looks nice, but after seeing the Ruff Tough door, it reminds me of that.

I'd go with the Gunner if I had but one dog, but I need three.

Anybody got an affordable option with a good door?

jfwhit

Re: Best Kennel?

Post by jfwhit » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:07 am

The best door out there IMO is the Gunner. Ruff Tough has the metal door option. I've narrowed it down to that for myself when I'm ready to purchase a new one. Would love to have a Gunner but price and weight are leading me towards Ruff Tough.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:59 am

RuffTough....no doubt.
Thankfully, the composite doors are now used...avoids the old metal ones and the rusting, et al.
The double door model kennels, each end, are nice for ventilation and the side door model enabled me to get two in the back seat area of the Tacoma....easy to tote 4 dogs now....two in back seat and two under the topper, all Intermediates.

I will say it would be nice to have a different latch method to open the doors and I drill out the door rod pockets to let chaff fall through.
Again...thumbs up on the composite doors! :!: :idea:
Last edited by Mountaineer on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:24 am

I returned my Dakota Kennebec. It came with the back half stoved in, and I wasn't a fan of the door for the cost of the kennel.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:56 am

randomnut wrote:I've been looking for a good one. I almost picked up a couple of the Kennebec Dakota that Cabelas had on sale last week. Glad I didn't.

Looked at the Ruff Tough and Kennebec yesterday in person. While the boxes themselves look quite sturdy, the doors look like junk to me.

The Northstar Grate Crate looks nice, but after seeing the Ruff Tough door, it reminds me of that.

North Star manufacturers Ruff Tuff kennels.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:57 am

cabelas has a good sale online for the ruff tough.
do you guys really like the composite doors over the metal?

Soignie

Post by Soignie » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:53 am

I travel coast to coast every year with my dogs, have never had a problem with the Ruff Tough composite doors, I did (and would recommend) drill out the rod pockets to ensure locking rods are always fully engaged.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:40 pm

I just received a Ruff Tough in the mail today and I have to say that I am impressed. The intermediate size takes up almost no more space then the smaller 2 piece crate it is replacing, yet because it is a solid molded shell the interior dimensions are much more spacious for my dog. The build quality is impressive as well. I ordered mine through L.L. Bean.com and they offer free shipping. I believe for the intermediate size kennel their normal price is $179 and I happen to find a 20% off coupon at the time I purchased mine which brought it down to around $145. i'm not sure how often they offer coupons, but after seeing it I can honestly tell you I would have no problem paying $179 for another one. LL Bean has it as a "Rough Tough" Kennel on their site. I got a few of the accessories and have to say they are very well thought out and well made too. You do have to go to Ruff Tough's website to order accessories though - crate handles, tie down attachments, etc. I know it is not cheap, but it is the last crate I will ever have to buy for my dog.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Best Kennel?

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:46 pm

nikegundog wrote:
randomnut wrote:I've been looking for a good one. I almost picked up a couple of the Kennebec Dakota that Cabelas had on sale last week. Glad I didn't.

North Star manufacturers Ruff Tuff kennels.
No

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:06 pm

Ruff Tough is manufactured in Tea SD by Roto mold llc. Ruff Tough products are the primary products made by Roto Mold.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:22 pm

MSU Aggie wrote:Ruff Tough is manufactured in Tea SD by Roto mold llc. Ruff Tough products are the primary products made by Roto Mold.
Thank you for the correction. The NorthStar website has Ruff Tuff kennels listed: http://www.northstarplasticsinc.com/Ruf ... gh_kennels

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:54 pm

No problem, if you go with a Ruff Tough get the optional cross lock. This increases security and prevents accidental opening of the door.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:59 am

randomnut wrote:Anybody got an affordable option with a good door?
Depends on what you view as "affordable:" http://www.ainleykennels.com/CratesSingle/1crates.htm

MG

MGIII

Best Kennel?

Post by MGIII » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Ruff Tough is the way to go.

Schatzman

Best Kennel?

Post by Schatzman » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:13 pm

I have 2 Ruff Toughs. I also have a Gunner. The Gunner is significantly nicer. Locks, has tie down points, and simply feels nicer. If you can stretch the budget it is worth the extra cost.

I like knowing if my truck gets rear ended my dog may have a chance of surviving. That is worth the $500.00 in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:52 pm

I like the petmate sky kennel large (4 crossbolt metal door) and have used them a lot and shipped dogs everywhere with them.

For the new truck, I just had a sliding drawer storage system made for the bed and a 3 hole dog box bolts to it. If I need more than that, I made a 10 hole trailer a couple of seasons ago with the help of a couple of buddies. It has storage, air, water, etc and is decked to take 2 quads on top.

BTW, building a smaller dog trailer isn't hard. You can get a cargo frame axle from harbor freight and build on it.

tweetergspgwp

Best Kennel?

Post by tweetergspgwp » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:56 am

Schatzman wrote:I have 2 Ruff Toughs. I also have a Gunner. The Gunner is significantly nicer. Locks, has tie down points, and simply feels nicer. If you can stretch the budget it is worth the extra cost.

I like knowing if my truck gets rear ended my dog may have a chance of surviving. That is worth the $500.00 in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. Spend large amounts of money on the dog, years of time, training, hunting with them. They become part of the family so why not save the money and spend it on something that has a better chance of saving the dog vers going cheap

TweeterGSP Cory Mehringer
Aka Tweeter- BirdDogTweeter

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:42 pm

tweetergspgwp wrote:
Schatzman wrote:I have 2 Ruff Toughs. I also have a Gunner. The Gunner is significantly nicer. Locks, has tie down points, and simply feels nicer. If you can stretch the budget it is worth the extra cost.

I couldn't agree more. Spend large amounts of money on the dog, years of time, training, hunting with them. They become part of the family so why not save the money and spend it on something that has a better chance of saving the dog vers going cheap

In fairness, I haven't looked at the Gunners that closely but I guess what I've never understood is, when you get to the $500 price point, why would plastic be favorable over aluminum or steel?

Schatzman

Best Kennel?

Post by Schatzman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:00 pm

AAA Gundogs wrote:
tweetergspgwp wrote:

In fairness, I haven't looked at the Gunners that closely but I guess what I've never understood is, when you get to the $500 price point, why would plastic be favorable over aluminum or steel?
I like it for the ease of moving it. It also doesn't fluctuate with the temperature as much. If you have multiple cars you use, it is worth it over metal.

desperado213

Best Kennel?

Post by desperado213 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:22 pm

I have been looking at the gunner kennels lately too. I am getting a GSP in the beginning of December and just been shopping around for a good durable kennel that will last. Can't decide if I should go intermediate or large size though since I'm not sure how large the dog will get and I would rather not have to upsize down the road...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:02 pm

Schatzman wrote:I like it for the ease of moving it. It also doesn't fluctuate with the temperature as much. If you have multiple cars you use, it is worth it over metal.
The zinger winger is under 40lbs. It's either going to left be, cooled, or wrapped. The material of the crate isn't a significant factor.

I'm sure it's a wonderful crate. I prefer metal because they last forever and don't become technologically obsolete.

Schatzman

Best Kennel?

Post by Schatzman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:40 pm

AAA Gundogs wrote:
Schatzman wrote:I like it for the ease of moving it. It also doesn't fluctuate with the temperature as much. If you have multiple cars you use, it is worth it over metal.
The zinger winger is under 40lbs. It's either going to left be, cooled, or wrapped. The material of the crate isn't a significant factor.

I'm sure it's a wonderful crate. I prefer metal because they last forever and don't become technologically obsolete.
Here is what I know:

Number 1 rated kennel by center for pet safety in crash testing.

https://www.gunnerkennels.com/blog/cust ... eel-bumper

That is proof enough to me that it is worth the money. If some girl texting on her phone rear ends my pickup, I like know my dogs are safe.

tsl34

Post by tsl34 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:03 am

I have 3 Ruff Toughs intermediates in my truck and love them. I bought all three with the tie downs, cross locks and their water bowls (which are amazing) for much less than two gunners would've been. I saw a YouTube video on kennel safety and negative g force that sold me. The crate has some flex to it which takes the impact and prevents the dog from internal injuries. It was worth a watch. Check them out, I've been extremely impressed with mine so far